Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Beginner needs some advice from professionals

Registered
    Apr 2013

Beginner needs some advice from professionals

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum If anyone knows of any other good forums for someone seeking advice please let me know. I found this site through Google.

Anyways, I am interested in starting a career in real estate. My family has land (most of it undeveloped) in another country. I was wondering what is the best way to start to learn real estate development. I bought a book and that is it. I am middle aged and have spent my whole life in a different field, completely unrelated to real estate. So, I have no experience.

Is it on the work experience or schooling which is more important for a beginner.

Advice from experienced ppl please.

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Hi and welcome. If you're interested in Real Estate you could take a course directly in Real Estate (see MSRED at Columbia). However, you may also want to think about an MBA or a Finance (MFA) degree. As for planning, that could also come in handy, but mostly just for planning applications. You could think about doing a certificate, but generally I would focus your studies on development/real estate. You may also want to think of an internship with a developer. Might find that's all you need education wise to develop your land. If you're in a developing country you'll need local knowledge of the planning system there too.

By the way, do you need an architect to help you develop that land

Best of luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Administrative Professionals Day
    Friday Afternoon Club