Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is the best free/open source GIS software?

Registered
    Aug 2012

What is the best free/open source GIS software?

Hello all,

I work for a non-profit (meaning we have no money) and we are trying to find a free/open source GIS software. After doing some research online, I have narrowed my choices down to either qgis or ILWIS. We will be doing some basic analysis, including finding locations from a list of criteria, proximity analysis, and some topographical views. Which program do you prefer? If you do not like those choices, which would you recommend? Thank you in advance for your input.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Sorry Ornery, I have never used either. The last time I used an open source GIS was many many years ago and I'm sure whatever is out there has changed a lot since then.
    I'm assuming you have already checked out the resources available on http://opensourcegis.org/.

Good luck!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2011
    qgis is clunky but for what you're talking about doing it should work well. Can't say I've tried ILWIS much. At the time I was still on Vista and it was way too unstable on it. I've heard it doesn't have the same problems on XP or 7 though.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    As a non-profit, you most likely qualify for software purchase through Techsoup. ArcGIS can be purchased for $185. Personally, I'd try to come up with the money for it than messing with open source software, not because the open software isn't good, but from a compatibility and assistance standpoint.

http://home.techsoup.org/stock/pages...y=esricategory

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Free/open source GIS program?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 21 May 2012, 10:00 PM
  2. Open source city planning?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Aug 2011, 2:53 PM
  3. Free GIS software recommendations