Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Entry level jobs? Where to look?

Registered
    Sep 2012

Entry level jobs? Where to look?

I have a B.A in geography , B.A in sociology and a A.S in political science ... i have been working in customer service, property management( my families business) and as socio therapist at a center for trouble youth ,but my true passion is in planning and development . That is what i want to do. I looked around for a wile after graduation but i didnít see anything in my area. So i took the job at the youth center (got to pay the bills ok job as well). At this point i want to get back in the game and Iím willing to go anywhere unlike in the past... any suggestions or ideas

Young and ambitious

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kpoles View post
    I have a B.A in geography , B.A in sociology and a A.S in political science ... i have been working in customer service, property management( my families business) and as socio therapist at a center for trouble youth ,but my true passion is in planning and development . That is what i want to do. I looked around for a wile after graduation but i didnít see anything in my area. So i took the job at the youth center (got to pay the bills ok job as well). At this point i want to get back in the game and Iím willing to go anywhere unlike in the past... any suggestions or ideas

Young and ambitious
    A thousand threads on this site about this very thing. Few jobs and many, many many applicants, including many recent graduates from graduate school planning programs. Read these thousands of threads on your very question at your own risk.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Go to the job board, check out the Transportation Planner job. I think we're only looking for a BA in geography. If you're good with customer service...you can be a planner

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I spent quite some time applying to jobs ALL over the US after I graduated with my BA. Thing I put in about 70 apps before realizing that I needed to go to graduate school. Now I'm in school, noticing that it is easier to get noticed for everything - including internships.

A BA in Geography won't get you far these days. You're likely going to have to get a MURP.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    A geography degree might be enough to get you an entry level GIS job but it sounds like your interests lie elsewhere. So if that's the case, a planning or MPA degree is probably what you need to look into.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2010
    "i have been working in customer service, property management( my families business) and as socio therapist at a center for trouble youth"

If you've still got the job at the youth center, I'd say quit while your ahead. But feel free to play your luck applying for "entry level" planning positions across the country.

MUP and MPA programs are a stupidity tax. Just go out and buy some scratch-offs, they're a lot cheaper and offer about the same odds of success these days.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post
    "i have been working in customer service, property management( my families business) and as socio therapist at a center for trouble youth"

If you've still got the job at the youth center, I'd say quit while your ahead. But feel free to play your luck applying for "entry level" planning positions across the country.

MUP and MPA programs are a stupidity tax. Just go out and buy some scratch-offs, they're a lot cheaper and offer about the same odds of success these days.
    I second what he or she said. I'd keep the paying gig, since you seem to like it somewhat. Beyond that, cast your net wide. Just don't be suprised if it comes up empty.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Look to rural locations, jobs in non-profits, and in downtown revitalization programs. The jobs may often be along the lines of program management, economic development, or community organization, but they often do have some strong elements of planning, or at least allow you to inject yourself into the planning process. These jobs may not pay as well and may not be in the best locations, but they are more open to hiring people without a lot of planning experience. After 2-3 years of this kind of work, assuming you have done some good networking, it will be easier to move into a planning position elsewhere.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post

MUP and MPA programs [were] a stupidity tax [between 2008 and 2018]. Just go out and buy some scratch-offs, they're a lot cheaper and offer about the same odds of success these days.
    just added my .02
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Entry level planning related jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jun 2012, 3:42 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Aug 2008, 9:17 PM
  3. Entry level jobs in to planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Sep 2005, 1:47 PM