Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Kickstarter a good thing or a waste of time and money?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Is Kickstarter a good thing or a waste of time and money?

Kickstarter is a website where people can get funding for projects or ideas. Some of it is strange, some of it is cool.

For example, this guy made an attachment that turns a paper airplane into a remote controlled airplane.

Some stuff is also piratical... like a better approach for a sleeping bag like this: Link

Others.. not so much.

The whole premise of the site is to allow people to become early customers that allow people to get the funding for production. They try to sell you on the product with a quick video and other 'incentives' like reduced cost product or accessories. \

What are your thoughts?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I've supported one Kickstarter project (for digital projection equipment for the local movie theatre -- essentially a donation) and one for a company whose efforts I strongly believe in -- I will get certain products as a result come May (we'll see). All in all I think it is a good idea. It provides another funding option for entrepeneurs and helps to get some "unfundable" projects accomplished. As always, caveat emptor.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I like the idea but I'm honestly not sure how many of these projects deliver. Some are just too ambitious or the creator just bogs down. In a sense it seems like more philanthropic activity or perhaps even gambling. Personally I doubt I'd ever fund anything.

Saw one a couple months back for a professionally produced Star Trek pilot episode for a new series. It even has some cast from previous series.

Registered
    May 2004
    I think its good. It seems to have helped some artists and inventors.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I think its good. It seems to have helped some artists and inventors.
    We got a Robocop statue out of the deal, though we have no place to put him yet!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ality/2867151/

Crowdfunding is now a $65 billion industry! Must be doing something with all that dough.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/crowdf...183700516.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I recently backed my friend's Kickstarter campaign for her homestead farm, Whirlaway Farm, just outside of Austin, TX. She's been working on this steadily for the past few years and trying to take this to the next level. Over 300 people backed her campaign to raise her goal of $25K, although it was exceeded and she raised $28K. I believe in her and her dream to have a self sustaining small farm raising heirloom crops and heritage breeds of animals as well as becoming a resource to the community. I kicked in $25.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n-homesteading
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I love it, I've funded maybe 10 things. Every Friday I look through the Technology and Design categories to see what is coming close to their deadlines.

You do have to separate the serious wheat from the dreamer chaff at times, through. Funded a movie that got made and released in theaters, although they had to ask for more money halfway through. Recently funded another one, Puppycide. Funded a couple authors I follow for either reprints, new books or RPG manuals, or other fan-related stuff like challenge coins. Most of it has been little tools that people think up. Got a little cardreader that fits into my cell phone so you can swap micro-SD cards in an out. Got two different types of keychain multitools coming, both projects delayed for manufacturing issues. Kickstarter is definitely educating a lot of inventive people on how to get stuff built in Chinese factories, it always takes longer than they think . Also have a frame to hold phone cameras in front of telescopes or spotting scopes. Funded a little scope cover, that the designer then developed into a real product that is now sold by a big maker. Funding a little device to close my garage door if I forget it. There's quite a few things like that, basically better and cheaper ($30 ver $50+) variations on already-existing products. One hit Xmas gift this year was a Trompe-l'il candleholder, that was actually a flat brass cut-out Link. Normally I would never give gifts like that because I'll never be in a store to see it.

There was a good project in my town, very early in Kickstarter history, to fund a map of the underground walkway connections in the downtown area and then give them away. It's a great way to pledge for little civic projects like that, where a group of people can be organized into backing something, where it would never get done by one entity. Or money couldn't be solicited until the pledges show a decent interest. If it doesn't meet the funding goal, then no money is collected.

The other big project-funding site is Indie-go-go, which operates a bit differently in that the projects get all the money, no matter if they meet their goals or not. I've got one project over there that's a serious concern, way overdue and not very communicative. They really bit off more than they could chew, but all us backers were probably a little greedy too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have thought about using a platform like Kickstarter for a new business venture, but to make it practical, you really need to be able to reach a large audience. The SEC recently issued their ccriteria for crowdsourcing, after a year and a half, and they seem to have made it all but impractical to address the concerns that prompted the law in the first place.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I have thought about using a platform like Kickstarter for a new business venture, but to make it practical, you really need to be able to reach a large audience. The SEC recently issued their ccriteria for crowdsourcing, after a year and a half, and they seem to have made it all but impractical to address the concerns that prompted the law in the first place.
    What business?

I have helped fund a few local projects and I bought theses Tile things. It is a low powered blue tooth square that let's you use your cell phone to find whatever you attach them to... Like keys, remote controls, the kids...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Feb 2014, 4:28 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 19 Feb 2008, 7:42 AM
  4. Walmart Does a Good Thing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4