Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did you get your first job?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I literally went door to door to the firms I wanted to work for - remember, this was 1986 so it was different then

I was remembered for that positively by those other firms in the cocktail party circuit of Boston for years to come thereafter

I think asking to be introduced to people on LinkedIn and then asking for an informational interview is a great method - I am doing this for my cousin's sonin finance right now - informaitonal itnerviews are great becasue you learn more about the positions you seek, they get to talk about themselves and if you hit it off, they may help you even if they don't have a position - that has also happened to me before

in the end, face to face works best - there are lots of folks with the same skills out there - what separates you from others is you

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012
    Lots of networking backed up by solid academics, internships, and extracurriculars. A good dose of luck was also involved, but remember that luck favors the prepared.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Networking through a professor but also having worked at a variety of paid internships outside the school as a grad student that boosted my resume. My current job was also obtained through networking...in fact, I have my former director's position she had before she became a director at the other org.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2