Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Maximum lot size

Registered
    Mar 2002

Maximum lot size

I'm looking for examples of ordinances setting maximum lot sizes. We want to prevent anyone in the future taking some of our land zoned for 7,500 sf lots and putting in 5-acre lots.. This would use up much of our developable land and result in inefficient extension of infrastructure. I'd appreciate any examples anyone could provide.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well, thanks for looking. I've found a minimum density provision that will acheive the result I want.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I read something a few years back about Jefferson County, WI having a maximum lot size limit in at least some of its unincorporated areas as a way of controlling rural sprawl. You might want to contact them to confirm this and if correct, see how it is working out for them, too.

I do like the idea.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It's a problem in the community where I work, where we have an old-school zoning code, and very large minimum lot sizes to begin with. The zoning code that will replace this one will have maximum sizes for many districts. Problems I see, though:

* Exemptions - remnant parcels, sites for parks and civic uses, etc.

* Can you force someone to build, a la emphyteutic leases in Quebec? Gardening is extremely popular in the community where I work, which provides a challenge to densification. Infill in the core city is stymied because of the many double lots devoted to gardens. In outlying areas slated to be developed as TNDs, I fear many homeowners will buy neighboring lots and dedicate them to raised beds and organic rutabaga, undermining the benefits of compact development. (And the social benefits of community gardens, but that's for another post.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I fear many homeowners will buy neighboring lots and dedicate them to raised beds and organic rutabaga, undermining the benefits of compact development.
    If you can keep the principal structure to the dimensions of one lot, the garden lot can go away as infill ... or not.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Maximum paving on residential lot
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Jan 2007, 3:51 PM
  2. Maximum setbacks
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 17 Nov 2005, 7:18 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Sep 2005, 3:20 PM