Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Real estate listings with inaccurate information

Registered
    Sep 2005

Real estate listings with inaccurate information

Every so often, I take a look at real estate listings in our city. Quite often, I will notice that a realtor has made significant errors in the listings. I recently came across one that states that a property located smack in the middle of a residential zone is "zoned commercial." While it is really not my business to correct the realtor, it would certainly make our life easier here in the city planning office if potential buyers were not misled. So my question is - should I mind my own business, or should I contact the realtor and them her know that the listing is inaccurate?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I've called a few realtors to tell them about mistakes, and the results are mixed. Some, usually the newer ones, essentially tell me to mind my own business. But since this state imposes heavy liability on realtors who misrepresent properties, the more experienced ones are grateful. During the recent real estate boom I gave a talk to a group of realtors and mentioned that a large part of my former real estate and land use law practice consisted of undoing problems created by realtors, and that wasn't so well received.

But I say go for it. It likely will save you headaches in the future.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Otis. I took your advice and called the realtor. I have no idea if they will actually change the listing, but at least now they are aware that the property is zoned residential, not commercial, and that it is in a floodplain and therefore would be extremely difficult to develop. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that this will prevent them from continuing to market it as a "great location for self-storage or a mechanic's garage"!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    it depends on the local real estate community. One in my area is very strict on ethics, believe it or not For even minor mistake in the MLS realtor gets fined min. $100.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jul 2012, 9:48 AM
  2. Getting a job in real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 3:38 PM
  3. Hello From Barrie Real Estate
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Nov 2010, 4:16 PM