Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING banner ads thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The NEVERENDING banner ads thread

I enjoy the occasional odd banner ad that appears near the top of the page when surfing Cyburbia. Most of the banner ads are something along the lines of an engineering firm or university, or maybe a computer hardware ad, but every so often a 'fun' one comes along that piques one's interest. I understand several of us have recently been treated to the 'I don't want younger men' ad (I've seen it a few times). Right now there's a KFC 'Chicken Littles' ad atop the page.

What's at the top of your page now? Any favorite off-kilter ads you recall encountering here on Cyburbia?

(Dan, doesn't Cyburbia get a (pitifully) small amount of money from Google adsense whenever someone clicks the links on the banner ads?)
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Sep 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I assume that it's good for cyburbia if I click them, so I click away (except on that "older women want to date you" ad, I don't dare). I also get lots of ads for Cricket, music services, etc. I like them. I'm a window shopper by nature.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Mine finally changed this week. It is ESPN MNF (because of all the fantasy stuff i have done on machine). Last week it was Intuit Quickbooks 2013 (because i was doing a ton of research on QBPOS 2013 for her store and sever switch). I know i am nerdy like that
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I assume that it's good for cyburbia if I click them, so I click away (except on that "older women want to date you" ad, I don't dare)
    Don't you dare do it! Rumor has it if you click on those ads you can expect to get a knock on your door a couple weeks later. Upon answering the door you'll be greeted by divorcee in her late 40's in a suggestive pose wearing a snug-fitting partly-unbuttoned blouse showing off her generous cleavage and whose breathe carries the scent of cigarette smoke and bourbon as she breathily says "I've had enough young bucks this morning. What I'm ready for is an experienced man who knows how to treat a lady right. I just happened to be in the neighborhood and hear you're interested...."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I never got the cougar ad but recently I have been getting the Phoenix regional economic development group banner and local VW dealerships. Obivously I am on the the regional EDC site often and I just purchased a VW a few months back. Other than that they are the education offering banners.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I usually just get the planning education ones but today this one showed up.

Dove® Show Us Your Skin Real Women, Show Us Your Skin. Add Your Photo & Appear In Our Gallery!

I don't really think that they want see my skin.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Don't you dare do it! Rumor has it if you click on those ads you can expect to get a knock on your door a couple weeks later. Upon answering the door you'll be greeted by divorcee in her late 40's in a suggestive pose wearing a snug-fitting partly-unbuttoned blouse showing off her generous cleavage and whose breathe carries the scent of cigarette smoke and bourbon as she breathily says "I've had enough young bucks this morning. What I'm ready for is an experienced man who knows how to treat a lady right. I just happened to be in the neighborhood and hear you're interested...."
    I take it that the missus wasn't home at the time, as evidenced by the fact you are still able to post here.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Anyone else getting that pest control ad? Kinda creepy, if you ask me. Starts out with a picture of what looks to be maybe a cute fuzzy mammal face of some sort and the ad reads "millions will be homeless". Then as the image pans back it turns out the face is that of a mouse. Then the caption reads "thank you" and flashes to some product that kills pests.

The other new one today reads in pseudo-Burma Shave fashion:
    "You're slipping away"
    "Sometimes you're hard to hold onto"
    "Not happy with your tampon? Break up!"
    "Kotex"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The one on Cyb several weeks ago that made me look twice: HISCOX. Apparently it's an insurance company.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Creepy

Typing a reply to a square dance client who thinks "...include an open mic concept to give our group a quick break... between your sets as a rest from the high energy fun of dancing." I mentioned that this is not the type of aerobics class that starts with a Z and rhymes with rhumba. And I get a banner ad for...guess what.

Others include U-Wisc extension (cute graphic, includes a wind turbine) and a small urban wireless carrier's phone service. No thanks, I sat through your collocation discussions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    FWIW, the software I'm looking at to replace vBulletin has the capability of letting members buy banner ads, just like they can buy Plus memberships now.

Imagine the possibilities ...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    FWIW, the software I'm looking at to replace vBulletin has the capability of letting members buy banner ads, just like they can buy Plus memberships now.

Imagine the possibilities ...
    I don't want to imagine RJ having such capabilities...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 502
    Last post: 30 Jul 2014, 1:53 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club