Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can introverts become planners?

Registered
    Oct 2012

It ussually relies on a team

Most cities have teams that are representing different strengths. I have found that the biggest talkers dont generally have the best ideas. Each member of the team takes on different responsibilities. A good planner, even introverted ones will make a stand when there projects are at stake. Some of the best actors are admittedly introverts. Walking on stage appearing self confident doesnt mean they arent sweating and terrified. You just do it. A good presentation doesnt mean the ideas arent whats right for that community but might mjust need a better way to convey the ideas

Registered
    Sep 2012
    It takes time to get used to speaking in front of people and selling yourself (especially if it does not come naturally to you). I have known lots of different personalities in this field, as well, and I think there can be a place for each. You just have to have confidence in yourself, which is not necessarily just a quality of those who are extroverts.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Am I in the wrong forum?

Am I the only one confused by this thread?

Are all planners extroverts? Do we have to go to lots of parties!? I thought the OP would be politely laughed off the board, but instead I find a group of reasoned responses that there are in fact a few introverted planners who manage to be successful.

When I was in school, we did the Myers-Briggs for a class, and I don't recall there was a single E in the class. I thought all planners were (like myself) introverts, more comfortable with places and data than people. If planning is full of gregarious people chatting it up at parties, it's news to me.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Being able to deal with people and give effective public presentations is not necessarity something done better by extroverts...as with all things you work with your strengths and weaknesses. On a personal note, while I am naturally more introverted than extroverted, my planning career has helped me to come out of my shell.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 45
    Last post: 22 May 2012, 11:48 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Feb 2011, 4:10 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 1:51 PM