Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Mania

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

iPhone Mania

Last week, Apple announced the release of the iPhone 5 which was expected to hit shelves this coming Friday. Much to everyone’s surprise, over 2 million were sold during the first 24hours of pre-order. Yes, the screen is larger, yes, the processor is said to be faster, but otherwise, it is not too much different than the iPhone 4S which will have the exact same operating system starting later this week. Oh, and Apple changed the connector… and not to the universal standard
    I have been holding out on getting a new phone for the past two months in anticipation of the iPhone 5. But it is not because I wanted a new iPhone or that I am upgrading from the 4 or 4s…my Android phone is only 29 months old, but the touch screen thinks I am pushing on it when I am not, programs start and stop on their own, and the button to adjust the settings has not worked in the past 3 months. It was time for me to get a new phone. Additionally, I like how my iPad works, so I am switching to Apple for a phone.

A friend of mine who is an IT consultant told me to wait as it will the most up to date tech and that it will have updates much longer than the others. I am still going to try to get one on Friday when they come out, but I am not sure how well that will work. I might have to wait a few extra weeks.
    What are your thoughts on this iPhone mania? Do you have an iPhone? Will you be getting the iPhone 5?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    I bought an iPhone 4S in March. It was my first foray into Apple products and I've enjoyed it so far. However, it is my first smartphone, so I really can't compare it to Android products. Since I just upgraded 6 months ago, I won't be getting the iPhone 5.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I tend to stay one generation behind when I upgrade my phone. Last upgrade was back in November, and went with iPhone 4 (not the 4s), since it did everything I needed it to do, and was cheaper.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have a 3 year old blackberry, and I need a new phone anyways, will probably get the new iPhone once the hype dies down a little. I have never had an iPhone, but have a iPad and really like it, so I'm sure I'll like the iPhone.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do I qualify as a Luddite if I still don't even have a cell phone ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I don't have an iPhone but will probably get one for my next phone. I've been really put out by the level of support my HTC has received. There just seems to be an attitude of release and forget with many of the Android phones out there.

My internet connectivity on my phone has deteriorated since an update my phone received in May. They promised a patch in August that also includes a newer version of Android. Now it's the middle of September and I'm still waiting. I've been really tempted to root my phone to bypass these slow updates and OS upgrades but it's not something I really want to fool with unless I have to. I at least know Apple supports their products better which is helped by the fact they have fewer hardware configurations to deal with.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've got an iPhone 4S, not because I'm an Apple fanboy, but because I prefer the IOS "ecosystem" and its regular updates over the chaos of the Android world, as Bilde described.

I'm not going to line up for a iPhone 5, because I just got the 4S to replace a water-damaged 4. (I managed to fix the old 4, BTW, with a week in a box of rice and a new battery. It'll be my backup phone. The old 3G sits docked in my clock radio; I use it as an Internet radio.) Many of the advantages of the iPhone 5 can be had with an upgrade to IOS 6.

I'm glad Apple isn't falling into the trap of wider screens. Too wide, and you can't swipe your thumb across the screen while holding it in one hand. The huge HTCs and Samsungs force some users into two-handed operation.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I will be purchasing the new phone. I missed the pre-order and thank God I did! Received a letter in the mail from my credit union about their cash back reward program if I buy certain things online. AT&T qualifies as a $50 cash back reward. Score! This is a major upgrade form my previous Iphone 3g. Before I upgrade I plan on calling At&t and unlocking my 3g since i am out of contract and selling it for additional cash. Prior to owning an Iphone, I had a windows 5 phone from a now defunct Palm. Let's just say it wasn't a good user experience.

The only bummer is now i will be forced to upgrade yet again to a new OS on my computers just to make use of icloud
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Do I qualify as a Luddite if I still don't even have a cell phone ?
    If you do, then that makes at least two of us.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    [sarcasm] OMG.... How do you talk to your BFF's? I mean come on. Next you will say you don't have a four square, twitter, or facebook account! [/sarcasm]

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    , but the touch screen thinks I am pushing on it when I am not, programs start and stop on their own,
    My 2 year old iphone does this alot now.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have a 4 that I got shortly after it was released two years ago seeing that someone stole my 3G. I've been happy with it and will not upgrade. RT has a 4 as well but it's an 8GB and not big enough for her needs but she is making do, she is planning to give her 4 to my partner when she upgrades to the 16GB 5 as soon as she can get one. His Blackberry crapped and he's been using her beat up 3GS and likes it much better than the BB, he doesn't mind that he will inherit her 4.

I like the 5 but I am happy enough with the 4 to stay with it since it's about to be unlocked.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Have I mentioned my Western Electric 500 is still going strong? 44 years and counting.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have a 3 year old blackberry, and I need a new phone anyways, will probably get the new iPhone once the hype dies down a little. I have never had an iPhone, but have a iPad and really like it, so I'm sure I'll like the iPhone.
    I have the last good, function bb, the world with the roller ball and am trying to hold onto as long as possible. BB went seriously downhill after this one. I really like my Ipad, and Mac but am not sold on the iphone, tho I've looked at it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am an admitted Apple semi-fanboy. I don't need to get the most up to date stuff as soon as it is released but when I do replace things, I generally look to Apple products first. For me it is mainly an ease of use thing (and I am a sucker for their industrial design).

I currently have an iPhone 4 and it's only about a year and a half old. I will not be upgrading until this phone becomes unbearably slow (or breaks) or somebody, like my employer, is willing to pick up the tab for me. (I secretly keep hoping that my bosses will notice I have a different area code than everybody else here and that will spark up a conversation and they will get me a phone. My predecessor had a phone paid for by the employer and the position technically rates one, but I don't really care enough to actively go seek it out).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Portable telephones? What's next, radio telegraphy?!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2009
    What are your thoughts on this iPhone mania? Do you have an iPhone? Will you be getting the iPhone 5?
    I have had the iPhone 3g, I currently have the iPhone 4, and I am eligible for the discounted upgrade pricing for the 5 on October 6th (which is a few days before my birthday ). I'm debating if I'll take advantage of the upgrade anytime soon though. I'm in no rush at this point (since technically both of my iPhones work), but I'll probably either end up with the iPhone 5 or a 5S, whenever that happens. I would say that, like WSU, I am a semi-fanboy for apple. They make a competitive product that works well. My phones have been great, and their other products have also exceeded my expectations.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I am an admitted Apple semi-fanboy. I don't need to get the most up to date stuff as soon as it is released but when I do replace things, I generally look to Apple products first. For me it is mainly an ease of use thing (and I am a sucker for their industrial design).

Since I bought my Mac and now my Ipad, so am I. The level of functionality on both is great.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    I’m still using the free phone that came with my contract and it works great. But, my contract is up in February and I am eyeing upgrading to the new iPhone. My wife has one and though I am not too enamored with all the bells and whistles, there are a number of apps I would find very useful…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    [sarcasm] ... Next you will say you don't have a four square, twitter, or facebook account! [/sarcasm]
    Another Luddite moment - No four square or twitter accounts here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have a 3G. I won't upgrade unless I drop the phone in the hot tub. It's fine for my needs.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Bought iPhone 5's for the wife and I today. It is sick how light it is. I think I will it better than my old phone.

I just hope my wife is ok with a white one and that I have the back one... I got the last one in the store.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Bought iPhone 5's for the wife and I today. It is sick how light it is. I think I will it better than my old phone.

I just hope my wife is ok with a white one and that I have the back one... I got the last one in the store.
    I was going to get a black one, but my store got way more white phones than black, so by the time I got up to get mine, they were out of the black. I got a pink otter box for mine, you dont even know what color it is.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yesterday work gave me a smart phone to replace my desk phone. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I can see this being more of a pain than a benefit. Who knows, I might get calls from irate politicians at 3am Saturday because some work crew is resurfacing a street in front of their business!

I guess it has unlimited texts and internet access though I sure don't want to use any of them!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I was going to get a black one, but my store got way more white phones than black, so by the time I got up to get mine, they were out of the black. I got a pink otter box for mine, you dont even know what color it is.
    Where did you get the pink otter box? The wife wants one. I am going for some case that is waterproof that a buddy has for his 4s. They don't have them for the 5 yet.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Minion Mania
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Aug 2013, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jul 2012, 2:17 PM
  3. Cyburbia on the iPhone
    Cyburbia Issues and Help