Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should we repeal the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Should we repeal the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments?

I figured since we seem to be revisiting Constitutional issues that were settled a century or more ago, it just seemed logical to point out that the three 'Reconstruction' Amendments took rights away from the states too. Damn that Federal government!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Definitely. I need to have my freedoms to run my plantation how I want. Darn all this uncertainty!!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I figured since we seem to be revisiting Constitutional issues that were settled a century or more ago, it just seemed logical to point out that the three 'Reconstruction' Amendments took rights away from the states too. Damn that Federal government!
    Explain to me how these took any rights away from the states? If anything, it gave people more freedom... not less.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am just waiting for the brave soul who starts the "Should we repeal the 19th Amendment" thread. And that would not be me.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Explain to me how these took any rights away from the states? If anything, it gave people more freedom... not less.
    For decades states used to have the right to individually decide whether or not they would permit slavery (usually invoking the 10th Amendment in support/justification; a decision upheld in the landmark Dred Scott decision). Then along came the Big Bad Federal Government and revoked that right from a certain group of states, essentially at gunpoint. This act of Federal Government overreach sent the states righters reeling for over a century, but they've slowly been making a return in recent decades.
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Sep 2012 at 3:34 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Get rid of teh pesky Fourth and Fourteenth. These are planners' nightmares. I just get sick and tired of developers moaning about 'takings'; and citizens griping about 'due process'. Think of all we could accomplish if these impediments were gone.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am just waiting for the brave soul who starts the "Should we repeal the 19th Amendment" thread. And that would not be me.
    Well this guy seems to have you covered:

http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/mitchell/T...Amendment.html

Quote Originally posted by Local Idiot
    Men are consistent. Women are fickle and biased

He's not alone

http://observer.com/2007/10/coulter-culture/

Quote Originally posted by The dumbest person in America who gets paid to say the dumbest things in America
    If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women

Registered
    May 2005
    George Bush doesn't care about black people.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    George Bush doesn't care about black people.
    Kayne don't care about any people who ain't Kayne.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    You don't think that woman have been suffraging long enough?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    As long as the 21st Amendment isn't repealed, I'm good.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll bet the GOP was rueing the day they forced the 22nd Amendment through right about the time Reagan's second term was drawing to a close.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For decades states used to have the right to individually decide whether or not they would permit slavery (usually invoking the 10th Amendment in support/justification; a decision upheld in the landmark Dred Scott decision). Then along came the Big Bad Federal Government and revoked that right from a certain group of states, essentially at gunpoint. This act of Federal Government overreach sent the states righters reeling for over a century, but they've slowly been making a return in recent decades.
    Are you saying that you would like to see slavery return?

That 'right' was something that was highly debated during the drafting of the constitution and repealing slavery was actually in several early versions but was eliminated so the south would sign. It is funny because while we no longer allow a person to own another person (an increase in freedom), we allow the federal government to require us to purchase something or be taxed for failing to do so (decrease of freedom).

There are things in this world that are inherently wrong. Owning another human, killing another human (born or unborn), and stealing are just three that the federal government has permitted at one time or another.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 19 Sep 2012, 5:23 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 17 Sep 2012, 11:48 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Apr 2008, 6:03 PM
  4. Happy Friday the 13th
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12