Urban planning community

Poll results: What types of cake do you like best (choose 3)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • chocolate fudge

2 9.09%
  • yellow

1 4.55%
  • red velvet

1 4.55%
  • angel food

1 4.55%
  • devils food

3 13.64%
  • confetti

0 0%
  • pineapple upside down

0 0%
  • carrot

4 18.18%
  • cherry chip

0 0%
  • white

0 0%
  • marble swirl

2 9.09%
  • apple cinnamon

0 0%
  • banana

0 0%
  • spice

0 0%
  • streusel/coffee

0 0%
  • I'm American....I love all cake

4 18.18%
  • I hate America and don't like cake (that or chose 'streusel' cuz it's foreign)

1 4.55%
  • how could you forget [fill in]

3 13.64%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cake

Registered
    Feb 2004

Cake

I mentioned it briefly before, but we've been having alot of cake lately. Seems there's a period in summer where there's a birthday or some other family celebration/function for several consecutive weeks. Mrs. Maister asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday later this month. Right now I'm leaning towards a Black Forest cake, but was considering requesting an old school pineapple upside down cake (remember those where you'd let the cake cool upside down on a Coke bottle?). What are your favorite types of cake? Is there any kind of cake you dislike?

Wait for the poll....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It will only let me pick one... but that is okay, because I am such a fan of good carrot cake that I need no others. Now bad carrot cake is bad.... but good carrot cake, is AMAZING.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    How could you forget....................German chocolate cake? Yum.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Red Velvet-southern version with cream cheese icing!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Another vote for german chocolate cake here. Pound cake, how could you forget pound cake.

Mom used to make an amazing white cake with chocolate icing, the only thing better was her german chocolate cake with double icing. YUM!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    It will only let me pick one....
    Yep, I screwed that one up. Just pick a single favorite in that case
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    since I married a person of German descent, I make blitz kuchen!

I meant to hit red velvet but hit devil's food instead, woops

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm a big carrot cake fan too
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The best cake I have ever tasted was a 7UP cake. My mom volunteered to help adults learn to read. One of the ladies for Christmas made her a 7UP cake that was finest cake I have ever tasted. The surface of the cake was spotted with congealed drops of 7UP and the cake was so light and fluffy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I'm a big carrot cake fan too
    Carrot cake would've been my next choice behind German chocolate.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    More of pie guy but where's the rum cake? Alcohol makes almost anything better.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Consider me a kid at heart...Funfetti.

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2005
    Of all the sweet treats in the world, my favorites are cakes and pies!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    The best cake I have ever tasted was a 7UP cake. My mom volunteered to help adults learn to read. One of the ladies for Christmas made her a 7UP cake that was finest cake I have ever tasted. The surface of the cake was spotted with congealed drops of 7UP and the cake was so light and fluffy.
    Awesome - was that when 7up had uppers in it? I bet it tasted much better than the high fructose corn syrup drug in 7up now...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm on a diet. No cake for Tranplanner.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I mentioned it briefly before, but we've been having alot of cake lately. Seems there's a period in summer where there's a birthday or some other family celebration/function for several consecutive weeks. Mrs. Maister asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday later this month. Right now I'm leaning towards a Black Forest cake, but was considering requesting an old school pineapple upside down cake (remember those where you'd let the cake cool upside down on a Coke bottle?). What are your favorite types of cake? Is there any kind of cake you dislike?

Wait for the poll....
    I love Black Forest cakes!
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I seriously want some cake now… cake for breakfast is ok, right… coffee cake?!!! I have the “Cake Doctor” book that I’ve made many recipes from, and one of my favorites is the Double Chocolate Rum Cake. Yes, each recipe in that book starts off with a cake mix and then you add in other ingredients as needed, but I always make my own frosting and it wouldn’t be American if it didn’t use a cake mix and have unnecessary frosting on top!

I'm not much of a cake eater period. I'll have for other's birthdays, but that's it. I remember the old pineapple upside down cakes as well as the bunt cakes from when I was a kid.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.

Actually, I like carrot cake a lot, but it's been a long time since I've had really good carrot cake. My aunt (now deceased) made excellent carrot cake.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    creme-filled chocolate frosted chocolate bundt cake sounds good right now

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Chocolate fudge, red velvet, and pound cakes for me! Oh, and I make a pretty good Key Lime Cake.

I absolutely detest carrot cake, spice cake, or any cake containing coconut. And that cherry chip in the poll sounds pretty iffy, too.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cake Walk

I popped the chad thru for "all" although there are a few on the menu I wouldn't jump overboard for. I agree that German Chocolate is super. My favorite, though is (courtesy my long-gone Mom) this:

Deluxe White Cake Mix
    Coconut
    Real Whipped Cream (Lots!) (Add sugar "to taste")

Bake da cake, with a handful of coconut thrown in the mix.
    Cool the two rounds.
    Prepare the whipped cream with more coconut added at the end of the whipping.
    Spread the whipped cream-coconut mixture on the two rounds.
    After "frosting" the cake add more coconit to the top. Mat it in.
    Put in 'fridge overnight.

The whipped cream soaks into the cake. Super delish!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    course all I can do is think of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXinO...eature=related what are they talking about?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just suddenly got the biggest craving for a moist chocolate cake with chocolate frosting! Oh man, this is killing me.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That does sound good.

Mud Princess's post about cookie dough got me drooling for a Cookie Monster cupcake from Molly's Cupcakes in NYC. I could eat a dozen of those bad boys.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What's your favorite birthday cake?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 04 Nov 2013, 7:17 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 2:42 PM
  3. My Groom's Cake
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48