Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Discussions concerning atonement and the High Holy Days

Registered
    Mar 2007

Discussions concerning atonement and the High Holy Days

After reading an article this morning about an annual Jewish Deli Summit, I really wanted a sandwich for lunch. So I left my pizza in the office fridge until tomorrow and went to a locally renowned delicatessen in an area with a substantial Jewish population and had my fill. However, when I walked in and looked around, I quickly realized I was probably the only one in there who didn't remember the Roosevelt administration... the GOP Roosevelt.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    After reading an article this morning about an annual Jewish Deli Summit, I really wanted a sandwich for lunch....
    Speaking of Judaism we spent much of the time at church last Sunday discussing atonement and forgiveness because the High Holy Days are upon us......so if ofos any Cyburbian feels like they owe me an apology, now would be a great time to cough it up.

For my part I apologize for having participated as much as I have in political threads this past year. I mean that most sincerely.
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Sep 2012 at 4:08 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Speaking of Judaism we spent much of the time at church last Sunday discussing atonement and forgiveness because the High Holy Days are upon us......so if ofos any Cyburbian feels like they owe me an apology, now would be a great time to cough it up.

For my part I apologize for having participated as much as I have in political threads this past year. I mean that most sincerely.
    I apologize for not posting in the birthday, Clube, and new member threads. I just don't care enough.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005

I apologize for not making a bigger deal of you moving past Dan, to be part of the Triumvirate of Top 3ness (TT3) with JNA and RJ.

Congrats and I look forward for your first declaration.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006

If I have offended anyone, I apologize [cough]bullshit[/cough]. I too regret all the time that I have spent in political threads, especially today. I do not apologize nor ask forgiveness for Maisterbaiting.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm sorry for all the problems we're having with the server.

Over lunch, after three days of relatively smooth operation, we had another spike. More tweaks applied, more fingers crossed.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    After reading an article this morning about an annual Jewish Deli Summit, I really wanted a sandwich for lunch. So I left my pizza in the office fridge until tomorrow and went to a locally renowned delicatessen in an area with a substantial Jewish population and had my fill. However, when I walked in and looked around, I quickly realized I was probably the only one in there who didn't remember the Roosevelt administration... the GOP Roosevelt.
    Zingerman's. http://www.annarbor.com/entertainmen.../#.UFjNwFHF0co

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If I have offended anyone, I apologize [cough]bullshit[/cough]. I too regret all the time that I have spent in political threads, especially today. I do not apologize nor ask forgiveness for Maisterbaiting.
    Watch out, I hear if you keep that up you can go blind or grow hair on your palms.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Watch out, I hear if you keep that up you can go blind or grow hair on your palms.
    Why do you have to use that dang small font?
    Last edited by ofos; 18 Sep 2012 at 3:58 PM. Reason: typo caused by hairy palms slipping off keyboard

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If I have offended anyone, I apologize [cough]bullshit[/cough]. I too regret all the time that I have spent in political threads, especially today.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    I apologize for not posting in the birthday, Clube, and new member threads. I just don't care enough.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink
    I apologize for not making a bigger deal of you moving past Dan, to be part of the Triumvirate of Top 3ness (TT3) with JNA and RJ.
    I'm not feeling an excessive amount of heartfelt contrition here, guys.
    Quote Originally posted by ofos
    I do not apologize nor ask forgiveness for Maisterbaiting.
    You appear to engage in that activity more than most. But few do it better than you. I guess one could say you're a practiced hand when it comes to that.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You appear to engage in that activity more than most. But few do it better than you. I guess one could say you're a practiced hand when it comes to that.
    All things in moderation. It's easy to lose control but I think I've got a grip on it now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    All things in moderation. It's easy to lose control but I think I've got a grip on it now.
    I think that it's great that we can have these religious-oriented discussions with such open candour. It's really a beautiful thing. I don't know about you, but I'm getting close to being teshuvah'ed out.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    If I could make it to Ann Arbor and back in my lunch hour, I would definitely be there. We went to the football game on Saturday and I made sure to stop by.

During the work week, my choices are rather limited:

http://www.thestagedeli.com/
    http://www.stevesdeli.com/
    http://bronxdeli.com/contact.html

The first two are the best in that list, but the last is the best price.

None of them come close to Zingerman's.

A grocery store by my house carries Zingerman's meat, bread, and condiments. I wonder how close to the real thing it would be if I bought the ingredients and just made a sandwich at home...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    None of them come close to Zingerman's.
    Word.

Okay, actually tying this slightly to the subject of the High Holy days..... one year, to increase our awareness of other traditions, we did a Rosh Hashana feast and had lots of different fruits to dip in honey.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Am I sorry for being a Smart A$$ at times ? sometimes.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am not much of a religious fellow, though I have been a spiritual seeker from time to time.

Of the many religious days and practices that are practiced, I believe Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) is the greatest idea. It is an opportunity to cleanse one's soul of spiritual transgressions. Given my uncertainity of the nature of the Diety or dieties, I am not so strong on this regard.

However, I think it can also be an opportunity to make amends for wrongs we have done to others. I think that is something that everyone, regardless of their faith or lack of faith can benefit from.

But I wouldn't want it to devolve into another excuse to have to buy your wife or girlfriend a gift.

Or making it a Hallmark holiday.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Good thing you get 10 days to identify all the badness you wreaked in the previous year before Yom Kippur. I tossed my bread in the managed wetlands at our new open space yesterday to cover the little things. But as I contemplate it more, there’s so much! Can I just say “sorry for being such an a$$hat last year” and be done with it? Or is thinking that a sin too?

Well, better get to it. The book is closing…

L’shanah tovah!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    That's not too far from me either. I may have to try it out some weekend.

For a true sandwich experience in the OC, you have to go to Ernie's Market. It's not a Jewish-style deli at all, but the sandwiches are great and so is Ernie.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ernies-market-oak-park

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 11:42 AM
  2. Discussions We Avoid At All Costs...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 04 Oct 2010, 3:04 PM