Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Profanity in the workplace

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    I'm not big on using language ouside of one on one meetings, but I'm not going to kill someone for using it in a staff meeting. I also wouldn't be rude enough to interupt the person talking to me and giving me advice on something. I used to have a boss that would interupt everyone in meetings. We all got togehter and started using the same line on him until he learned...Sorry for interupting your interuption, but...
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Nov 2009
    The Glass City
    Wow. I can't stand being interrupted. I have been known to interrupt interrupters to inform them they just interrupted someone and to please let them finish speaking. If someone interrupted me at a meeting it would make me cringe, but if they whistled and called to me like a dog, I would be very very displeased. I'm not sure I would curse; probably not since I don't swear that much anyway, but I would find it exceptionally difficult to not confront my boss about that later. If I didn't, I know it would bother me for weeks and I would ultimately lose most of my respect for that person.

I can't blame you for losing your cool; particularly if it happens frequently. It sounds like apologies all around are in order. I hope your boss acknowledged how his actions demeaned you and apologized for it.
    Occupy Your Brain!

May 2004
    Bummer I missed this thread the first time around. I don't drop f bombs in the office and never have. I do use the term "shit" more often than I should. Like "I can't believe we have to deal with this shit again" or "what a pile of shit this is". But I absolutely never use any foul language in staff meetings or public meetings. When I am out in the field with the PW guys though- all bets are off.

I have had bosses who drop the f bomb alot though. One boss I had use to jokingly say f u everytime I asked him to do something, but it was a good natured f u. Another guy i worked with used the f word pretty much on a daily basis. One time I asked him a question and his response was "Fuck" and then he just walked off mumbling to himself. I though that was rather inappropriate.

As far as the OP scenario, I don't think the terminology used was that out of place considering the rudeness of the interupter.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Profanity and its usage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 05 Mar 2014, 6:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2011, 4:30 PM
  3. Workplace and wellness
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4