Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: ISO modern, simple sign code

Registered
    Jul 1998

ISO modern, simple sign code

Our sign code is old and cumbersome. Do you have a great example of a modern simple code that I can adapt for use in our town?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Our sign code is old and cumbersome. Do you have a great example of a modern simple code that I can adapt for use in our town?
    It does not exist.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll post the sign regulations I wrote for an Austin suburb tomorrow; short, strict, simple, content neutral, and Plain English. (That was, until it was amended a few months ago, and some "saids" were plopped in there.

In the meantime, a lot of municipal attorneys seem enamored with the sign code from Hopkins, Minnesota. I took a good, long look at it, and it's awful. It's not just the legalese; it's just a bad code that will cause more problems than it supposedly solves. If you happen to get the Hopkins code foisted on you as a model of regulatory excellence, drop me a line, and I'll send you my memo ripping it apart.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    It does not exist.
    I think all of us are ISO such an animal. IME they start out simple and get amended into mishmash.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    There is one key element to craft a "simple" code; do not reference other sections of code that sends readers on a hunt. Sign codes, more than anything, change and update more than any other code you will work with. Signs pop up on skinny metal poles and banners and anything else you can think of. Sign codes are awful, awful creatures and the person who can create a simple and agreed-upon code will be a millionaire.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    It does not exist.
    You're a lot of help...
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'll post the sign regulations I wrote for an Austin suburb tomorrow; short, strict, simple, content neutral, and Plain English. (That was, until it was amended a few months ago, and some "saids" were plopped in there.

In the meantime, a lot of municipal attorneys seem enamored with the sign code from Hopkins, Minnesota. I took a good, long look at it, and it's awful. It's not just the legalese; it's just a bad code that will cause more problems than it supposedly solves. If you happen to get the Hopkins code foisted on you as a model of regulatory excellence, drop me a line, and I'll send you my memo ripping it apart.
    That would be great Dan, Thanks
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    That would be great Dan, Thanks
    As though it really needs an endorsement, but I'm familiar with Dan's sign code and it is pretty excellent.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It has been a while sinve I have had to deal with sign codes. When I last did my searching I drew from many different codes, but the one that stood out was Davis, CA. The thing I likes best was that they gave themselves an escape clause to be able to suspend the code to approve signs that had exceptional merit, but might not fall within the standards of the code.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A few days late. Sorry,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thanks Dan. I had forgotten how funny a lot of the pictures were that you used. This is the only sign code that has a sense of humor.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interesting Sign Code example
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2011, 3:16 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Sign code dilemma
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 11:32 AM