Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Digital Photo Display

Registered
    Jul 2006

Digital Photo Display

My mother is well past the point where she is ever going to get connected over the web. I've been thinking about getting her a digital picture frame and loading it up with pictures that we've taken of our grandson and anything else that she might enjoy. We could send her periodic updates on a SD card or flash drive. Has anybody else done this? Recommendations?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I bought a digital picture frame with the intention of being able to often change the picture on display in my office. However, the resolution is so poor that I took it back to the store. It just didn't look right, and this wasn't an el cheapo frame.

My grandmother is close to 90 and has very bad eyesight but we like to send her pictures of our daughter. She used to have email but got rid of her computer when she moved into an assisted living home a couple of years ago. Now we just upload our digital photos to Snapfish or Kodak or whatever and just have them printed and mailed from there directly to her (or to us first if we want to mail something else as well). The clarity on the prints is always great and we probably spend less on postage than what it would cost to mail a new SD card or flash drive every so often.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I bought a digital picture frame with the intention of being able to often change the picture on display in my office. However, the resolution is so poor that I took it back to the store. It just didn't look right, and this wasn't an el cheapo frame.

My grandmother is close to 90 and has very bad eyesight but we like to send her pictures of our daughter. She used to have email but got rid of her computer when she moved into an assisted living home a couple of years ago. Now we just upload our digital photos to Snapfish or Kodak or whatever and just have them printed and mailed from there directly to her (or to us first if we want to mail something else as well). The clarity on the prints is always great and we probably spend less on postage than what it would cost to mail a new SD card or flash drive every so often.
    Thanks, I was thinking about getting one for my office and have been reading reviews because I was pretty sure that resolution would vary on the frames just like flat screen tv. I may still buy one and see how I like it before I foist one off on her. Her eyesight is good but her memory is slowly failing so I'm looking for ways to reinforce who we all are.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I got one for my father when he was still able to see but Alzheimer's was tightening its grip. Don't recall the brand or model though. But resolution was good and it was easy to switch out/add images. He really enjoyed it while he could and was a great stimulus for reminiscing (I filled it with pics of family as well as a bunch of stuff from his childhood)

I'd say go see one before you buy as quality varied greatly. They are pretty ubiquitous now. I imagine you could get one at Radio Shack, where they also probably have it on display. My boss has one, too, and it looks great.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Window sign or display?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Nov 2009, 11:51 AM
  2. Date Display
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jul 2009, 12:03 PM
  3. Image Display
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 May 2006, 4:12 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Fireworks Display