Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online public input/social networking?

Registered
    Sep 2005

Online public input/social networking?

We're considering methods for public input/comment on a draft plan. We could just post the plan and allow people to fill in a comment form online, but there must be something more advanced out there. Has anyone had any experience with other tools to allow public input? I have ruled out facebook since we don't even have access to it on city computers - what else is available?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

ssc, I was involved with something similar awhile back. The draft (community development) plan was posted online followed by ads in the paper and email blasts to community groups and other stakeholders inviting them to comment via email. There was no facebook, twitter or other social media involved, but it was nevertheless well publicized and the feedback received was extremely useful.
    The content contrarian

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ssc View post
    We're considering methods for public input/comment on a draft plan. We could just post the plan and allow people to fill in a comment form online, but there must be something more advanced out there. Has anyone had any experience with other tools to allow public input? I have ruled out facebook since we don't even have access to it on city computers - what else is available?
    Mindmixer is a good program for what you're talking about.

If you're looking for another city that has done a social media/technological outreach recently, I'd suggest San Marcos, Texas. They had a ton of participation and have a lot of experience to share as far as successes & failures.

One word of caution--do not rely exclusively on web-based solutions to get feedback, as you'll miss other key important demographics.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I doubt they are free, but I've come across a couple of interesting online public participation tools. One was used for the Capital Region Sustainability Plan process. I think it's called Crowdbrite.

I thought I had some others noted but I can't find them right now...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Value of public input?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 22 Nov 2013, 5:13 PM
  2. Social Networking
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 23 Jul 2009, 2:29 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Jun 2008, 11:05 AM