Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: About planning profession and its recognition

Registered
    Sep 2012

About planning profession and its recognition

Hi everyone !

First I would like to apologize for the mistakes I will certainly make in this thread. English isn't my mother tongue so feel free to correct my post, sent it to me and I will update it.

In France, the planning profession is currently facing a huge problem of recognition. The carrer of planner isn't clearly defined in the educationnal and professional field. We don't have a strong organisation like the RTPI in Uk, which can give us a legitimity when we apply for internships or jobs.
    The problem is especially acute for the student. Without any "legal" background it's difficult for us to be competitive in the labour market. All the more since "planning" appears in more and more courses (architecture, engineering,law,...), even if I absolutely don't deny the fact that town and space planning needs people with different scholar backgrounds and skills.
    So how is the planning profession organized in your country ? As students or junior planners, do you manage to get your skills recognized ? I'm eager to understand how this carrer is organized abroad !

For those who speaks a bit of french and are interested in this issue, I gave you the link for the CNJU ( National organization of french young planners) who defends a better recognition of our profession.
    Sorry again for my grammar and spelling.
    A french student.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Your English is still better than the French of almost everyone here, so no need to apologize.

We have the same problem in the United States. Planning is not something most people see as a priority of government. Of course, the moment something begins to impact them personally, the planners are blamed for it. The best that we can hope is that the public will become more educated over time.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 May 2010, 11:11 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Nov 2009, 4:51 AM
  3. What is the planning profession really like?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 9:01 AM
  4. Planning as a profession
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Sep 2007, 2:38 PM
  5. Urban planning as a profession
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2004, 11:49 AM