Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do yard signs and bumper stickers change anyone’s opinion?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Do yard signs and bumper stickers change anyone’s opinion?

Tis the season for campaign signs and political bumper stickers. However, I will not put any campaign signs in my yard or bumper stickers on my car. Partly for professional reasons, mostly because I don’t think that they actually do any good.

What are your thoughts? Will a campaign sign sway your vote? They don’t actually provide any information on the candidate so if it does sway your vote, can you explain why and how?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    I think they're effective for certain people, the same way that billboards are effective; name recognition. They don't influence everyone, but they influence some.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Name recognition is a big deal, especially for state and local level candidates. Those candidates frequently don't have the ability to get their names out there any other way. So when it's a choice between a name you recognize and name you don't, people will often go for the name they recognize even if they know nothing about the candidate.

Alvin Greene won the Democrat senate primary in South Carolina in 2010 just because no one recognized any of the names on the ballot. The heir apparent took the primary for granted and somehow lost a guy who honestly seemed borderline retarded.
    Last edited by Blide; 24 Sep 2012 at 9:57 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    For local elections like school board and town council I think yard signs and bumper stickers matter for name recognition. That split second in the voting booth (for the majority who don't do their research) when that name they see on the ballot is the same sign they pass every day to work.

For Senate and Presidential elections I don't think yard signs work to change opinions but for a small group of undecideds. The signs and stickers can help push the perceived "lead" and some people like to be with the winner in their state.

Bottom line is how many bumper stickers can you buy for the price of one TV or Radio spot?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    They don't affect the way I will vote. They do affect the way I feel about certain homeowners and businesses when I have a negative opinion of the office seeker. "Wow, they support ********?"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    They don't affect the way I will vote. They do affect the way I feel about certain homeowners and businesses when I have a negative opinion of the office seeker. "Wow, they support ********?"
    What he said.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A good friend of mine ran for political office in a race where the incumbent wasn't running for reelection, and won. She had some yard signs, and a billboard for a month, but also credits her victory to some name recognition (a city employee), and her name appearing at the top of the ballot. I think the campaign set her back about $1,000.

Yard signs won't sway my vote. However, I may investigate ballot measures that aren't otherwise well publicized (e.g. "NO ON 8" or "YES ON 12" type signs).

There's a lot of personal opinion signs around here, most related to hydrofracking, with a few anti-war signs scattered about.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    What he said.
    I was thinking about this too. There is an accountant in town who has a big sign in front of his office for a tea party candidate. He is right on Main Street. Hmmm..... will I remember this when it comes time to do taxes?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I 100% agree and as a consultant, I don't want my client communities to know where I fall on the political spectrum because no matter what side I agree with, someone might use it against me.

I also live in an area where people who know me know my thoughts on political matters, but I don't want people who move into my neighborhood to know my political thoughts before they get to know me.

Registered
    May 2004
    I dunno. I agree with otterpop. It tells me more about the person sporting the bumper sticker - especially when its more a somewhat offensive statement like then a "So and So, 2012".
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Only people constantly posting silly crap on Facebook changes my opinion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I don't find yard signs or bumper stickers persuasive towards my opinion but when my friends post their political feelings on Facebook and Twitter that always sways my feelings on the matter. I wish they did it more often...I love it even more when a debate breaks out...the intelligent and engaging comments further the debate and bring my friends of different politcal opinions closer together.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I don't find yard signs or bumper stickers persuasive towards my opinion but when my friends post their political feelings on Facebook and Twitter that always sways my feelings on the matter. I wish they did it more often...I love it even more when a debate breaks out...the intelligent and engaging comments further the debate and bring my friends of different politcal opinions closer together.
    I agree that discussion and conversation about the issues and the candidates is helpful, but it doesn't always sway my view. Sometimes I find one person or another just reciting the political party talking points as if they were hired by the party.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

I had to stop at the quickie mart for beer. When I came out there was a cop writing a parking ticket. So I said, "Hey, cop, don't you have anything better to do than write parking tickets for people who just stopped to get something?" The cop told me to shut up and I called him a "pig". He wrote another ticket. I tore that one up. He wrote two more tickets.

I didn't care. My car was parked at home and this car has a "Romney-Ryan" bumper sticker. You can of course substitute "Obama-Biden."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2002
    I don't know, I've never run into anyone that said, "Man, I was about to vote for Bob until I saw that sign in my neighbor's yard about Mary!" I think signs tend to have minimal influence.

Somewhat related to signs, has anyone else noticed a severe LACK of signs? They should be multiplying like rabbits right now, but I can only think of about five between where I live and where I work. My guess is that people don't need to bother with signs this year because most people already made up their minds.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    Coragus...In recent years the distribution of campaign funds (=yard signs) depends on if you're a "battleground". I live in Chicago and work in the burbs. Not many Obama or Romney signs around these parts. If I drove through Ohio I speculate it'd be a lot different.

Registered
    May 2004
    I think they do work for local elections. I certainly see alot of yard signs and bumper stickers for local council and board candidates but I don't see any national candidate ones except for the occasional subaru with an Obama sticker or Cadillac with a Romney sticker.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    What he said.
    I third this.

I'm going to protest political yard signs this election cycle by putting up a yard sign for our local community college's fall theater production: "Legally Blonde, the Musical".
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our next door neighbors are the poster people for the Republicans. Signs don't influence me. But they do influence how I would interact with the neighbors; the wife is the one who asked me last year "What is your home church?" and freaked when I said we don't do church.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Nah, they just make me wonder about people who start internet threads about them.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Nah, they just make me wonder about people who start internet threads about them.
    OK OK OK... You got me. I HATE signs that clutter up my neighborhood and make it look like a west coast freeway.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    OK OK OK... You got me. I HATE signs that clutter up my neighborhood and make it look like a west coast freeway.
    A less snarky response is I'll pay attention for the local candidates and various ballot measures, but that's it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I will not put any campaign signs in my yard or bumper stickers on my car.
    Ditto - never have, probably never will. My parents allowed one to be placed in their yard prior to the '82 Democratic gubernatorial primary simply because one of my father's friends was heading up one candidate's local campaign...that candidate finished third in the primary, and I'm pretty sure neither of my parents actually voted for him.
    Last edited by Bubba; 26 Sep 2012 at 2:28 PM.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004

Seen today, on a foreign made car no less

"Vote for the American"

Not sure what election they are referring to but I agree we should definitely be voting for Americans.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 98
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 3:58 PM
  2. cool bumper stickers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 2:31 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 10 May 2006, 4:51 PM
  4. Free Bumper Stickers