Obviously we live the same life.

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
No one has mentioned the grease can - a staple of my youth. Cause, why use that new, expensive grease when you've got a "filtered" (through cheese cloth) container of perfectly good rancid stuff right there by the stove?!

The Depression and WWII were both big contributors to some of my parents' peculiarities. For a long time we still had my mother's childhood bike which was cobbled together from miscellaneous parts salvaged from the dump by my grandfather. During WWII, bikes were hard to come by because so much steel was going to the war effort. They apparently kept it as a reminder to tell me all about it. Again and again. I certainly never rode it...

My parents weren't too frugal, really, just terribly pragmatic (no plastic covers on the furniture and runners on the carpet - but I had plenty of friends who suffered that humiliation). Their mid-life crisis car, for example, was a diesel rabbit. Two-door. Way to step out there and do something indulgent for yourselves, guys! Also, my father would not allow me to buy any white clothes. Ever. It got dirty too easily, he said. I had many pairs of shoes, pants, shirts, etc. that were really one or even 2 sizes too big. No matter, they said, I'd grow into it. Well, at some point I didn't. For a long while (until I sold it), I had a bike that was always too big for me and soccer cleats that were the same. I was like a clown out there on the field with my enormous feet and shorts falling down....

Now that I am a parent, I find myself doing a lot of the annoying things my parents did. I also reuse plastic bags and tend to wear clothes beyond what many would consider "presentable." I make my kids get slightly large shoes. I mainly get my clothes (and the kids') at thrift stores. We "let it mellow" depending on the conditions. Only once have I owned a car that was made in the same decade in which I lived. My wife saves all wrapping paper and gift bags for reuse. And so on.