Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you feel bad for the replacement refs?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Do you feel bad for the replacement refs?

Am I the only person who feels bad for the replacement refs? They were thrown into an unforgiving situation and are (I assume) trying to do their best given the circumstances.

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO7
    Last edited by Maister; 26 Sep 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Am I the only person who feels bad for the replacement refs? They were thrown into an unforgiving situation and are (I assume) trying to do their best given the circumstances.
    I don't feel bad. I don't think they were thrown into the situation without a choice. I assume they chose to do this, knowing that they would make a decent salary.

But as a human being, I hope none of them are being subjected to unwanted phone calls, letters, threats, etc.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just as I don't feel sorry for the person that takes a job he/she is completely unqualified for, I don't feel the least bit sorry for these replacement refs. Nobody forced them to say yes to refereeing the NFL games--there was not a gun to their heads. They are affecting game outcomes and, more importantly, their approach to officiating is resulting in season-ending & potentially career-threatening injuries to players.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Ref off

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I do feel bad for certain - the crowds are different, obviously some rules are different, huge stadium - not sure I would do it and I might feel bad being a scab in a way (as in, I crossed a picket line for this?)

in some weird way, as long as you are not watching your own team, it is pretty entertaining because it's so bad you can't believie it

and these players making millions of dollars a year and they can't figure out how to win big to get around the bad reffing? I don't feel bad for the players

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I do not feel bad for them at all. They are choosing to do a job that they are obviously not qualified to do at this point in time. They know that the pace of the game at a pro level is way different that college ball, the players will try to get away with more, and the skill level is way beyond what they are accustomed to. Furthermore, there is a real danger as there have been an increase in helmet to helmet hits and unless the refs start doing their job, someone will get hurt.

However, I think that refs feel bad for Planners and Zoning Administrators.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I feel bad because they have to ref a bunch of babies instead of a bunch of lingerie models. That must be tough...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I don't feel bad for them they should have expected it. Scabs and officials are often criticized for the work they do... in this case it is a two for one.

Personally I hate it when people blame officials for losing the game. The Packers had 59 minutes and 55 seconds to score more points than the Seahawks. Why is no one criticizing Greg Jennings for not batting the ball down instead of going for the interception like he was taught to do in practice?

I have yet to hear a fan say I am not watching another game of pro football until the regular ref's take the field and the striking ref's have not given in much so I would be surprised if this ends anytime soon. Besides people love to complain and feel "vicitimized" by poor officiating regardless if they are the real or scab ref's.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I don't feel bad... they are like a substitute teacher, sure they "know" the subject, but quite frankly not ready for the show. Evidently the line judge that botched the packer/seahawks game (referee 29or 26 in the pictures, signaling touchdown) is a local. They did a report about him last night on the news. Prior to the NFL gig, he was referring high school and community college games here on the Central Coast. I think that says enough about where some of these refs come from. He did not appear on camera, but through a family friend explained that he made the call based on what he saw.

With that said, the refs are really doing the best they can in a high stress, national tv situation. Blame the NFL and Owners for allowing this to continue and lose the inegeity of the game. Not that i think this will affect the outcome of whether these teams make the playoffs, but it will come into play in determining playoff seeding, especially if the seahawaks make the playoffs.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I don't feel bad... they are like a substitute teacher, sure they "know" the subject, but quite frankly not ready for the show. Evidently the line judge that botched the packer/seahawks game (referee 29or 26 in the pictures, signaling touchdown) is a local. They did a report about him last night on the news. Prior to the NFL gig, he was referring high school and community college games here on the Central Coast. I think that says enough about where some of these refs come from. He did not appear on camera, but through a family friend explained that he made the call based on what he saw.
    My FIL was a line judge in the NFL for 20+ years and called the Super Bowl once ... the call was by the side judge as the line judge would have been at the line of scrimmage or thereabouts and couldn't possibly gotten down the field fast enough to be involved in that play. Gotta stand up for line judge FILs everywhere.

Because of my close relationship with my FIL, my opinions are tainted, so I'll just observe from here on out.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I do and don't feel bad for them.

First, the don't. I support unions. Period. These guys are scabs. I'm opposed to what they're doing on that principle.

but...

Now, the do. These officials are under a microscope. Every little error is being noticed and--dare I write it--exaggerated. Football fans act as if the real NFL officials never miss a call. Oh, we miss the good old days! Wait a minute, dude. When the real officials were in the game last season, you griped about their incompetence too! Sports fans are a fickle bunch. And they apparently have very selective memories.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. CNU-A Replacement Thread
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Mavs vs Heat / Refs?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Jun 2006, 3:06 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Jun 2002, 12:08 PM