Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this an expansion of a legal nonconforming B&B?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Is this an expansion of a legal nonconforming B&B?

Let’s say a person owns a bed and breakfast. The B&B part is located in a historic part of a structure and the owner’s quarters are located in an attached dwelling that does have an opening for direct access into the B&B. It was put in before the ZO was in place and has gone through extensive legal challenges and such.

However, the owners now want to build a second floor onto the section that is residential use only. This area would not have any access to the historic section of the B&B and would only be accessible from the owner’s quarters. The B&B activity (square footage of areas accessible by gusts) would not be expanding but the overall building would be.

Would you classify this as an expansion of a nonconforming use?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Well there are a lot of unknowns here. Is it in a Historical Overlay district? What's the zoning? Are B&B's permitted by right in this zone? Are residential uses permitted?
    "The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them." - Paul Hawken

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My fair city code states -

1) No such nonconforming uses shall be enlarged or increased, nor extended to occupy a greater area of land than was occupied at the effective date of adoption or amendment of the ordinance codified in this title;
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    If the expansion is not associated with the B&B then I would say it is not. But you'll need detailed architectural/contractor plans to make sure.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I would look at the uses. Are residential uses and/or commercial uses allowed in the current zone? Expansion to a historical building altogether could nix it. But if not, it just may need to be zoned for mixed use.
    "The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them." - Paul Hawken

Registered
    Feb 2002
    If residential uses are permitted by right in that zoning district, than the addition of a second floor residential is permitted by right. If it were for the B&B that would be an expansion of the nonconforming use and not allowed.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    If residential uses are permitted by right in that zoning district, than the addition of a second floor residential is permitted by right. If it were for the B&B that would be an expansion of the nonconforming use and not allowed.
    I would agree with this. The B&B is the non-conforming use and is not being expanded.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 May 2012, 9:18 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Nov 2009, 6:08 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Jul 2006, 9:45 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 May 2002, 1:19 AM