Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite job--planning related or not

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Your favorite job--planning related or not

The owner of the pizza place I worked at for several years in high school & college died yesterday of a heart attack. It wasn't a huge shock... if "you can't trust a skinny chef", then I'd say he was one of the most-trusted around. Really nice guy with a big heart. He called all of the employees "family members" or "his kids", and treated us that way. He even kept up with everyone as we went on to other careers and shut down the restaurant once a year for a "staff family reunion." It still stands as my favorite job--great people to work with and fun regular customers.

It got me thinking about my friends here on Cyburbia... what was your absolute favorite job you've ever worked? Who was your favorite boss?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Volunteer bartender twice a week at small club. Tips and free beer.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Sorry to hear about your loss. The boss at my favorite job passed from a heart attack a number of years ago and I felt the same way.

My favorite job? In college, both undergrad & grad, I worked at an Ann Arbor legend, Campus Corners Pharmacy at State & Division. The owner was the pharmacist but the real business was as the largest beer & wine retailer in the state of Michigan. We not only sold, but also delivered and weekends were crazy. We were on the way between campus and the stadium, so the walk-in traffic on football Saturdays was horrendous. And that was on top of all the keg & case deliveries to frats, sororities, and apartments in the area. It was a really close-knit group of people working there and the boss/owner was a great guy who threw an annual picnic at his house as well as groups of us going to his place in northern Michigan for drunken snowmobiling in the winter. Several other businesses came out of that one including the equally legendary, Village Corners on South University.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hands down, it was shift managing the Frozen Custard & Diner for my uncle during college. Local place (my oldest works there now) fun people, lots of crazy. Great friend of mine worked there as well. We used to sign in the time sheet without our real names, but as "Gog & Magog" or "Take This Job & Shove It" or "Assault & Battery". We never repeated a pair in 3 years of doing that. The owners would always have to call during payroll and say "Ursus, are you 'A Wing' or 'A Prayer'"? They never complained.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Selling cigars by far was my best job. It didn't pay much, but I talked to a lot of good people and smoked a lot of good cigars.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2005
    The most fun I ever had was working at a KFC (one of many KFCs I've worked at in Michigan) in college back in 2000-2002. The store manager was awesome and is a friend to this day. Another guy I worked with there is also still a friend. We had lots of great times working together. It's part of the nostalgia I have for my undergrad years.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I was the weekend cook in the Alpha Phi Sorority House at the University of Montana. Need I say more?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The job I have now is my favorite job; I'd call that a blessing. And it's only getting better.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I was the weekend cook in the Alpha Phi Sorority House at the University of Montana. Need I say more?
    Maybe not post of the day, but winner of the best job!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    The owner of the pizza place I worked at for several years in high school & college died yesterday of a heart attack. It wasn't a huge shock... if "you can't trust a skinny chef", then I'd say he was one of the most-trusted around. Really nice guy with a big heart. He called all of the employees "family members" or "his kids", and treated us that way. He even kept up with everyone as we went on to other careers and shut down the restaurant once a year for a "staff family reunion." It still stands as my favorite job--great people to work with and fun regular customers.

It got me thinking about my friends here on Cyburbia... what was your absolute favorite job you've ever worked? Who was your favorite boss?
    When I read the thread title my first thought was also working at a pizza place. I was a delivery driver. It was pretty killer.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I had a few really awesome jobs in the Marine Corps (two particular favorites: working for the IG's office and having all sorts of power that no Lance Corporal should have and working nights in the II MEF Command Center and getting 4 days off in a row every other week) but the best was probably my last where I worked at the School of Infantry in NC but for the Headquarters of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA. So I had an office in NC but really had no oversight down there and had all the leeway and latitude I could ever hope for. I worked with the Marines who had just gotten out of boot camp and were only on the base for a few weeks before they would move on to more training - it was really fun because the students were constantly coming and going so there were always new people and since most days I had no boss nearby I could set my own hours. I often imagine it was the most laid back, stress free place to work in the entire military.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    By far my favorite job was waiting tables at a well known seafood place at the beach. School was nearby so I worked there year round, well except for when we were closed from Thanksgiving until Valentine's Day. The restaurant would feed us two times a day and only took $1.50 out of your check a day for it plus you could go on your day off as well. The beach, girls, sun, plenty of beer money, could ride my bike anywhere I needed to go. Life was very good. Sometimes I wish I had become a "lifer" at the beach and stayed. I envy some of the peeps I worked with 20 years ago who are still there.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My easiest and most fun job was when I was on a temporary 3 month duty in the Army. I manned the MWR center on post (i.e. the Rec Center) and was in charge of the pool room and ping pong area. There was also an area with TV's where soldiers could check out a game for a while and play them. Since it was rarely used, my other buddy who worked there and I would play pool or ping pong for several hours a day. All that practice make me pretty good and I still am a pretty decent billiards and ping pong player to this day!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2007
    One of my favorite jobs was being a Security Assistant in the dorms during my undergrad. My job was basically to work from 11 pm - 7 am and make sure nobody was sneaking into the dorm or propping the door open, or beating their gf or bf up. It was one of those jobs where 90% of the time I couldn't believe I got paid for it, and the other 10% of the time I was paid way to little. Most of the time I sat there and played on my computer, listened to music, studied, etc. I monitored the cameras and did a quick walkthrough every 30 minutes. Most nights were easy, although I had to break up a few fights, call the cops, etc. at times. One night I had to calm down a girl who's bf beat the crap out of her. Her and I actually became good friends and still are to this day.

The job was great, most of the time. My co-workers were awesome, plus it was all the free coffee I could drink. To this day it is one of the reasons I am still a night-owl. I need to find a planning firm where I can work in the middle of the night with clients in Asia or somewhere similar.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Volunteer planning assistant for the State Trails program in State Parks - helped produce color highway style folded maps of Urban Trails.
    or
    Hotel Security that supported me as a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    One of my favorite jobs was being a Security Assistant in the dorms during my undergrad. My job was basically to work from 11 pm - 7 am and make sure nobody was sneaking into the dorm or propping the door open, or beating their gf or bf up. It was one of those jobs where 90% of the time I couldn't believe I got paid for it, and the other 10% of the time I was paid way to little. Most of the time I sat there and played on my computer, listened to music, studied, etc. I monitored the cameras and did a quick walkthrough every 30 minutes. Most nights were easy, although I had to break up a few fights, call the cops, etc. at times. One night I had to calm down a girl who's bf beat the crap out of her. Her and I actually became good friends and still are to this day.

The job was great, most of the time. My co-workers were awesome, plus it was all the free coffee I could drink. To this day it is one of the reasons I am still a night-owl. I need to find a planning firm where I can work in the middle of the night with clients in Asia or somewhere similar.
    ... When did you sleep!?

----------------
    I don't think I've had my favourite job yet. Every job I've had is generally better than the last, meaning that the job I currently hold is the best I've had thus far... but fun? no... not really. Working in a restaurant was fun when I wasn't working, but horrible when I was...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never liked one single job I've held. I've had great bosses, though...current one has hired me three times!! I'd rather sit at home around the pool or watch pron on the interwebs...but that doesn't pay the bills.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    ... When did you sleep!?

----------------
    I don't think I've had my favourite job yet. Every job I've had is generally better than the last, meaning that the job I currently hold is the best I've had thus far... but fun? no... not really. Working in a restaurant was fun when I wasn't working, but horrible when I was...
    Good question. I usually worked 3-4 nights a week so it certainly wasn't a full time job. Also, the university only allowed those sophomore and above to apply for the job. I did the job the last 2 years of undergrad, so luckily I didn't have any crazy 8 am classes. I usually would get off work at 7 am and head over to the dining hall to have breakfast with my friends. I would then go back to my room and sleep until my class at 1 pm. Class was 1-4:45. Hang out with friends/eat dinner from 5 pm to 7 or 8. Then sleep a few more hours before work. It was tough, but since I had all night to study, it worked. Also sometimes my friends would visit me while I was working, and we would play games, talk, etc.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Helping my dad with his part time piano repair business. It gave me a deep appreciation of piano music. It's helped him out and I made some much needed extra money when I was entirely too close to the poverty line. I also learned that pianos are !@#$%$#@!@#$heavy.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sandwich Artist. Hours kind of sucked, but Subway was clean and other than the two rushes for the day, the job was pretty easy.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I've never liked one single job I've held. I've had great bosses, though...current one has hired me three times!! I'd rather sit at home around the pool or watch pron on the interwebs...but that doesn't pay the bills.
    I agree, work is generally overrated, and the things we enjoy doing, even if it is work, never pay enough.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Overnight manager at Walgreens. I had a great schedule of 8 days on and 6 days off. The store was pretty dead at night so basically most of our time was spent stocking, organizing, cleaning, and on Saturday nights putting up all the weekly ad stickers on the shelves. The pay was good for not having to deal with a lot of BS or think too much.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    I find it very interesting that many of the favorite jobs had to do with restaurants and retail.

Mo' money, mo' problems.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I find it very interesting that many of the favorite jobs had to do with restaurants and retail.

Mo' money, mo' problems.
    For me it's the simplicity of the job that was appealing. It didn't take much to make people happy and it was a matter of coming in, completing the store manager's task list, and putting the store in order again. I didn't spend any time thinking about the place when I wasn't there either
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Mo' money, mo' problems.
    I think for me is was the clear cut responsibilities. You make sandwiches. You clean. You prep. Done.

Everything else is not my problem. I like that.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jul 2009, 12:15 PM
  3. Others fields related to planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Mar 2007, 3:55 AM
  4. Replies: 37