Urban planning community

Poll results: When do you turn on the heat?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in the north and have a specific date. See below.

2 7.14%
  • I live in the north and turn it on whenever I get cold.

9 32.14%
  • I live in the south and never have to turn it on.

2 7.14%
  • I live in the south and turn it on as soon as the temps go below 70F.

3 10.71%
  • I love American and keep the heat on all year just to burn more fossil fuels!

0 0%
  • Other.

12 42.86%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When do you turn on the heat?

Registered
    Aug 2005

When do you turn on the heat?

For those of us living in the northern climate, when do you turn on the heat?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I guess we don't have a specific date, more of a specific temperature... Ours usually kicks on for a few hours a night when the night time temperatures get down into the 40s. I have found that just letting it turn on for a few hours in the middle of the night when it is like that (even though the interior temp doesn't get below about 65º) really takes the chill out of the air and means that my wife is much less likely to turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day while I am at work, which in the long run seems to make heating the house a bit more efficient than when I let it get down into the low 50s or high 40s inside like I really like to do.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When the temp gets to the freezing mark overnight and the high that day is not going to go above 65 (what we keep our house at in the winter) then we turn the heat on. We have two separate systems and turned the downstairs heat on about a week ago. I have tested the upstairs system and will have to make a repair before we an run it regularly.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Chose 'other'. I would have voted 'turn on when I get cold' except that the heat ends up getting turned on when someone else living in the house gets cold. The only silver lining is that this other person who habitually gets cold faster than me now experiences the occasional hot flash (and I get to use the opportunity to turn the heat down - it's always a very temporary victory, though).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    DH installed programmable thermostats a few weeks ago, but I have yet to program them (there are two of them, one for each floor / heat zone). We haven't turned the heat on yet. The coldest it's gotten in the house so far is about 64 degrees.

I'll probably set the programs this week sometime, now that we're into October.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I live in the "South" but in the northern portion so there are instances where yes, I have to have the heat. Last winter I didn't use the heat at all though. I'm sure we'll be paying for that in a couple of months.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So who usually 'wins' the Battle of the Thermostat? My guess is women win >70% of the time. Why? Guys are acculturated to act 'chivalrous' and defer to women's comfort as a rule.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So who usually 'wins' the Battle of the Thermostat? My guess is women win >70% of the time. Why? Guys are acculturated to act 'chivalrous' and defer to women's comfort as a rule.
    No. I have been thinking about getting one of those lock boxes for my thermostat.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    We don't turn ours on until the daytime temperature inside the house doesn't get above 60.

With the daytime temps in Michigan getting into the upper 60s lately, we have yet to turn it on.

With the 7-day forecast looking at it does, the heat will probably not go on anytime soon, although Saturday evening may be a candidate. As long as the sun is out, our house gets quite a bit of sunlight, so it helps to moderate the temperature inside.

My wife gets colder sooner than I do, but she's OK with just wearing warmer clothes until it gets super cold.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I live in the South and turn on the heat when I'm cold and the a/c when I'm hot. Seasons are kind of irrelevant. If we're home, we keep the house at 70 during the day and 65 at night during the "winter". If we're going to away for several days, I dial it down to 55. In the "summer", we keep the house at 80 during the day and 75 at night. Again, if we're going to be away for a few days, I'll bump it up to 85. We run ceiling fans all year, moving air up or down depending whether we're heating or cooling.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My wife keeps close attention to changing weather. It is supposed to get colder tomorrow afternoon, so the heat may come on then. Our house has two temperature zones - the bright and warm upstairs is ruled by the better half and where the thermostat is located. Down in the basement is my dominion - a dark and cold place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My wife gets colder sooner than I do, but she's OK with just wearing warmer clothes until it gets super cold.
    Seriously, with the exception of one ex-gf I'd say this has always been my experience. I think men's internal thermostat is set about 5 degrees higher than women's.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't decide for myself. That said it has already come on a few times this year, though I don't think it has in a few days. I have radiators and don't even have a thermostat.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    About a week before Labor Day. That's when it starts getting nippy around Fort Meyers.

Seriously, had it on a few times, but only to take the chill off; I keep the thermostat at 62, or 17 European degrees.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I try to hold out until the end of October. Last year I think we caved in early Oct. I'm typically ok with putting on more layers, hats, and cats until the mornings get unbearable. Getting out of a warm toasty bed and stepping into the arctic tundra is a challenge.

This year I'm already feeling my reserve weakening. We have a programmable thermostat that really helps once we turn it on but the frugal part of me says wait.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I live in the south, and turn it on when I get cold. That means not yet, and probably not for a while yet. I have the tendency to add layers until it's just too cold to get out of bed. I get that cold a couple of weeks to a month before hubby does.

Hubby thinks wearing long pants and socks is enough layering. Once he decides he needs more than a long sleeved shirt, long pants and socks while inside, then he's ready to turn on the heat.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I try to see how long I can go without turning on the heat and darnit - I turned it on last night when I got my apartment!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I chose "other". Landlords control the heat in many apartment buildings in NJ. It's supposed to be turned on Oct. 1 through April 1. I checked this morning and naturally it's not on. We live in a different apartment this year and have a different landlord which has a lot to be desired for in a number of ways. It's getting fairly cool at night and we are exposed on two sides having a corner unit.

Might have to make a call to the state multifamily division in the next day or two if it's not on.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I try not to turn it on until November. It's been around 40 in the morning here lately, and 60 inside. I may be wavering.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Being in Arizona now, there's maybe a week or two in December or January where I need to have the heat on constantly at night. Otherwise there's a few days here and there where it gets nippy, though I can feel my consitution weakening after being here for over a year now so less than 70 now feel cool to me. It used to take below 60 to make me feel cold.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ever notice how the sweatshirts and sweaters get pulled out the first time the mercury drops to 60 in October, and how the very same temps in March are cause to break out the short sleeve shirts?
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Oct 2012 at 1:43 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I live in the north and chose "whenever I get cold" since there's just me and the crits.

I have a programmable thermostat, and about three weeks ago, I switched from AC to HEAT, but all the presets are set for 60 degrees, and the house hasn't hit that yet.

I do cheat, however. I've had the electric heat in the sunroom turned on for a couple of weeks now, and when it's been sunny, we get nice and toasty there -- you can tell because there's a poodle sprawled on the sofa plus cats draped over various pieces of upholstered furniture where they can toast in the sunshine and keep track of the birds at the feeders without much effort. When I open the french doors and turn on the ceiling fan (it has a cathedral ceiling), the heat moves into the rest of the house. I also bake stuff and last week, I cycled the self-cleaning oven which warmed up the kitchen and dining room nicely and a pretty cold night.

Other than that, I use a small electric heater when I'm working on my desktop computer in my office because I get cold just sitting. I also put my heated mattress pad and flannel sheets on the bed, so we (me, the dog, and at least 1 cat) be nice and snug until it's time to get up.

Since I'm going on vacation next week, I'll start up the furnace some time this week, which means a new filter, new batteries for the thermostat, and programming the thermostat.

BTW, if you are to new programmable thermostats, remember to change batteries regularly. It beats coming home/waking up to a cold house and panicking and calling Friendly Furnace Service. The programmables are NOT like the old mechanical thermostats which would work for years with doing nothing but raising/lowering the temp.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The more appropriate question is when do you turn the AC off. I turn the heat on maybe sometime in late November.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I only had mine on once this year. My parents were stopping by and I knew mom would complain if it was below 68. I live in a condo and share two walls. I let my neighbors hear my house!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I live in the south and turn it on as soon as the temps go below 70F.
    This takes some work to do! Always having to move the switch between AC and heat to keep things right at 70.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Article about urban heat islands
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. Walkability heat map
    Information Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2008, 11:28 AM
  3. The Heat Is On