Urban planning community

Poll results: When do you turn on the heat?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in the north and have a specific date. See below.

2 7.14%
  • I live in the north and turn it on whenever I get cold.

9 32.14%
  • I live in the south and never have to turn it on.

2 7.14%
  • I live in the south and turn it on as soon as the temps go below 70F.

3 10.71%
  • I love American and keep the heat on all year just to burn more fossil fuels!

0 0%
  • Other.

12 42.86%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When do you turn on the heat?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We turn the heat on for the first consistent cold days with highs below 70 and nights maybe below 55. Our winter thermostat temp is 68 d. but we really could go lower on that. Usually we don't need the heat until January since it can be 75 d. here at Christmas. Most years, we have a period in the late fall and again in the spring where we only sporadically need heat or a/c. The a/c comes back on maybe in late March/April when daytime temps are about 80 (thermostat set at 78).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We turn the heat on for the first consistent cold days with highs below 70 and nights maybe below 55.
    Wow!

I'd have my heat on nine months of the year! Maybe I'm cold blooded, but it has to get in the 40's at night for me. Granted, our place stays warm, but we're fine with 62-65 in the house. At 55, I might shut the bedroom window...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Wow!

I'd have my heat on nine months of the year! Maybe I'm cold blooded, but it has to get in the 40's at night for me. Granted, our place stays warm, but we're fine with 62-65 in the house. At 55, I might shut the bedroom window...
    Yep, that's us native central Floridians for ya'. RJ likes the windows open at those temps but the kid and I get cold!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yep, that's us native central Floridians for ya'. RJ likes the windows open at those temps but the kid and I get cold!
    I bet you can take the heat better, though. When it starts to push into the high 80's, I hate it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's 58 and very damp (RH 90 % / light rain) outside, I still have not turned on the heat.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I bet you can take the heat better, though. When it starts to push into the high 80's, I hate it.
    Aw hell no. I grew up with a/c. high temps, high humidity, turn on the air conditioning. I may be more used to months and months of high temps/humidity but it doesn't mean I like it. Or don't fight back.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    This will be my first winter in several years. I find myself noticeably colder than anyone around me. I have on wool socks already, long thick pants everyday, and at least 3 shirts, and I am still shivering sometimes and need a blanket. It has only gotten down to about 60 so far. That said, I have not yet turned on my heat. I will tough it out until our internal temperature dips below the 60s, just like I use to.

I am not a huge fan of being cold, but I am even less of a fan of heating bills.

Oooo.... I almost forgot!!! We have a giant fireplace! I need to get some firewood so we can enjoy that this winter. Woohooo!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I live in the north and turn the heat on when it gets in the low 40s outside.
    Mrs Katt thinks that I am jumping the gun, she thinks that it should be in the 30s

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Its still 100 degrees out here. I cannot wait until it gets cold enough to turn on the heat.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Aw hell no. I grew up with a/c. high temps, high humidity, turn on the air conditioning. I may be more used to months and months of high temps/humidity but it doesn't mean I like it. Or don't fight back.
    Then when do you sit by the pool?!

Registered
    May 2005
    We turned ours on Saturday night after the temp inside dropped to 59 degrees. We have it set for 67 during the day and 62 when we go to bed.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Its still 100 degrees out here. I cannot wait until it gets cold enough to turn on the heat.
    This. I really can't wait until I can pull out a space heater.

However, I don't usually turn the central heat on until it's about 55 in the house (which is about 35-40 outside, stupid raised houses are so energy inefficient). I'll use a space heater as soon as it gets below 65 in the house, and even then, I only keep one on in the room where I am. When guests are over, I'll make it a little toastier, but I don't personally mind being a little cold indoors.

Here in the Landmass, we have nasty wet/cold winters, despite the temps never really dipping below 25-30. Inevitably, when it's 30 out it's also raining and the winds are at like 25 mph. The same principle applies to 100+ degree days with no wind and 99% humidity. It's like we're being smitten even though we gave the world rock and roll.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I turned it on this morning because it was under 40 degrees outside.
    Last edited by JNA; 09 Oct 2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I almost did it yesterday (got down to 61 in the house), but we are supposed to warm back up tomorrow and into the weekend.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    57F in the house this morning. Last night I suggested to Hubby that we turn on the heat and he said that it was still too early and that we need a new filter for the furnace. So I watched tv wearing a hat, a hooded sweatshirt [I'm surprised Hubby could keep his hands off me ], and under two blankets. Last night I broke out the down comforter. One of the kitties slept under the covers with me and the other was above the covers wedged between me and Hubby. Surprisingly I woke up sweating.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    yesterday

The women of the house informed me they were cold. When I suggessted to put on a pair of sweatpants and long sleeve t-shirts, the rolled eyes and dirty looks followed. I turned the heat on but cramked the thermostat down to 65.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Had to give in last night. Inside temp was down 66 and outside was headed to 45 overnight. Halloween was the chilliest day of the Fall so far here in Eastern NC.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    When the temp gets to the freezing mark overnight and the high that day is not going to go above 65 (what we keep our house at in the winter) then we turn the heat on. We have two separate systems and turned the downstairs heat on about a week ago. I have tested the upstairs system and will have to make a repair before we an run it regularly.
    I need to amend that now... it is when the wife tells me that I either turn the furnace on, or deal with the gas and water bill from her taking 5 hot showers a day.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Article about urban heat islands
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. Walkability heat map
    Information Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2008, 11:28 AM