Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One of Cyburbia's greatest mysteries: sasksaab

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

One of Cyburbia's greatest mysteries: sasksaab

sasksaab is always in the list of members who are online. However, in the six months that they've been a member, they have not posted a single message. At 3:00 in the morning, when Cyburbia is inhabited mostly by search engine spiders and Indian spammers, sasksaab is often there, a lonely human among the bots that normally rule the night. sasksaab is, perhaps, Cyburbia's most prominent lurker, and at the same time, our greatest mystery.

So, who is sasksaab? What is sasksaab? A silent fan of urban planning and quirky Swedish cars who hails from the Canadian prairies? Or ... someone with a more sinister intent?

What lurks in the clouds high above Moose Jaw?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Dare say a sockpuppet ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Dare say a sockpuppet ?
    Nope. They'd be banned.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I assume we have lots of lurkers - everyone in the introduce thread seems to admit to lurking for months and years before posting...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I assume we have lots of lurkers - everyone in the introduce thread seems to admit to lurking for months and years before posting...
    Word. I too lurked many a week before posting. Now many wish I had continued in that mode.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I believe in order to fully understand the entire sasksaab phenomenon, it is important to seek understanding by looking inwards. In much the same way that a little bit of evil can be found dwelling in each person's soul, a little bit of sasksaab resides in all of our hearts.

It is only when someone looks to see if sasksaab is online that his name appears. When no one seeks him his name is absent from our consciousness. Whether it be the sound of a tree falling in the woods or one hand clapping, thus it is, was, and always shall be.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I believe in order to fully understand the entire sasksaab phenomenon, it is important to seek understanding by looking inwards. In much the same way that a little bit of evil can be found dwelling in each person's soul, a little bit of sasksaab resides in all of our hearts.

It is only when someone looks to see if sasksaab is online that his name appears. When no one seeks him his name is absent from our consciousness. Whether it be the sound of a tree falling in the woods or one hand clapping, thus it is, was, and always shall be.
    Off-topic:
    I think you need a sock puppet dearie...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Dan - can't you see the users IP address and do some sleuthing that way? At least to narrow down the grography...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Someone in Saskatoon that drives a Saab is my guess.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Theory #2.....selling Saabs in Saskatoon? It's all a front for this McKenzie guy. Sounds like your typical Canuck gangsta who is into Illegal arms sales, contraband prescription drugs, and black market maple syrup. You know the type.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you say sasksaab's name backwards while listening to Led Zeppelin... it is really trippy...

baasksas, baasksas....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Once upon a time, I was buying mittens at the Macy's in San Luis Obispo and was waited on by Sasksaab. Not sure if they were the same one (there are so many in the area). But the service was excellent,

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One time I got into bad situation where three hoodlums held me at gunpoint in a dark alley. Just when I thought it was all over sasksaab jumped down from an unseen fire escape and proceeded to pummel the bad guys until they were senseless. Before I had a chance to thank him he vanished as suddenly as he appeared!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    this is a great thread, btw

I think he's a Sasquatch and he just can't communicate effectively

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I heard sasksaab was the skip of the rink that pulled off not just one, but TWO eight-enders in the final draw in last season's Walleye Bonspiel. Also, he used corn brooms until 2008, to the dismay of the icemaker at his home club.

Maybe the Neverending Weather Thread is keeping him away, for some reason.

Or, perhaps, nate22 is holding him hostage.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    A recent sleuthing expedition on Google turned up this: https://twitter.com/sasksaab

So he goes by "Jon", and has a rarely used Twitter account. Signs indicate he is in fact from Saskatoon or nearby, but Tweets sporadically and at random so as to remain elusive to cyber hunters.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    but Tweets sporadically and at random so as to remain elusive to cyber hunters.
    Like a ninja. He'll probably post when we least expect it; late at night, in the shadows. First, nothing, and then ... The Grand Urbanification Theory, POW! just like that. And then ... gone.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    A recent sleuthing expedition on Google turned up this: https://twitter.com/sasksaab

So he goes by "Jon", and has a rarely used Twitter account. Signs indicate he is in fact from Saskatoon or nearby, but Tweets sporadically and at random so as to remain elusive to cyber hunters.
    My meanderings turned up https://plus.google.com/116179588299000555109/photos
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm from Saskatoon eh Maybe this is him?

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I heard about him once while listening to "Coast to Coast A.M." I want to believe.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    He is the person who will lead us- Mel Gibson like to the place of refuge after the zombie apocalypse. We don't need another hero
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I heard about him once while listening to "Coast to Coast A.M." I want to believe.
    Post.of.the.day

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I fall asleep to Phil Hendrie instead. I think sasksaab might be one of Phil's characters.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    OMG Phil Hendrie - too funny!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Lieutenant Scheisskopf's wife P.180

"[T]he Saskasaab I don't believe in is a good Saskasaab, a just Saskasaab, a merciful Saskasaab. He's not the mean and stupid Saskasaab you make him out to be."

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 12:24 PM
  2. Sasksaab
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Oct 2012, 3:19 PM
  3. Cyburbia's new server
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 41