Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do fake flavors taste like they should?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Do fake flavors taste like they should?

I just had strawberry ice cream that didn't taste anything like ice cream made with real strawberries. In some cases, some of these chemical flavorings do a decent job, but in other cases they are way off. I think that jelly beans are a great example. 1000 chemical flavors, no real foods used.

What things have you had where the flavor was way off or a situation where the real food wasn't there but the flavor was perfect.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    To many things just don't have the right flavor, but we're so used to it we don't realize it. Real vanilla or chocolate ice cream is way different than the store bought crap (except for the good stuff). If you taste test my wife's homemade ice cream using real vanilla and compare it to the local store brand, no comparison. The other doesn't even appear to have had a bean walk through the thing.

Most of the stuff I just assume is chemically flavored root beer lolli pops or whatever. It's close enough that I can tell the difference, but still not the real thing.

Nasty related story - stop reading, or don't. I had a friend who worked at a novelty warehouse. You know, shipping out things that shouldn't be mentioned. He used to laugh about the flavored anal lubes. Strawberry, cinnamon, etc. He always wondered what "natural" tasted like.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    All I know is that the snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    What about "ranch"? Like, what is ranch flavor? They have all these competing brands for BEST RANCH FLAVOR, but what is it? Things like strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, orange...those are tangible with real life counterparts. But ranch?

Wikipedia says "While popular in the United States and Canada, ranch dressing is virtually unknown in many parts of the world. In places where ranch seasoning is used to flavor snack foods, the flavor may be described as "American" flavor."

That sounds about right. AMERICA FLAVOR.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    What about "ranch"? Like, what is ranch flavor? They have all these competing brands for BEST RANCH FLAVOR, but what is it? Things like strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, orange...those are tangible with real life counterparts. But ranch?

Wikipedia says "While popular in the United States and Canada, ranch dressing is virtually unknown in many parts of the world. In places where ranch seasoning is used to flavor snack foods, the flavor may be described as "American" flavor."

That sounds about right. AMERICA FLAVOR.
    Don't even get me started on that awful concoction. We made a pretty good (so the customers say) ranch dressing from scratch at a restaurant I worked at. I still make a homemade ranch for Mrs. 'Burb Fixer, who despite her other redeeming qualities, seems to love the stuff. Actually, I make all of our dressings with the exception of actual mayonnaise. If you haven't tried it before, you should. Light years better flavor, easy, and typically less expensive than what you buy at the store.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Feb 2010, 1:08 AM
  2. Yucky ice cream flavors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Jun 2009, 2:58 PM
  3. A taste of Paris
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Jul 2004, 9:53 AM