Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1660

Thread: Five Things Tuesday

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. It never rains but it pours
    2. I wish I could convince Mrs Maister that Junior won't shrivel up and blow away if he walks to school
    3. Mercator is NOT my favorite-looking projection; I really don't do that much navigation
    4. I was going to say life's too short to drink bad coffee but that's just not true
    5. I criticize others for putting up too many Halloween decorations, but it seems our house is gradually acquiring more of them over time
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    1. Storms yesterday took out a couple of hangers and planes at the regional airport & the A-ball team lost the outfield fence.
    2. I found the thing that went "bump in the night" a few nights ago. It was a ceiling light fixture that came off and being held by the wires, so it was hard to tell.
    3. Of course I washed the car Sunday only to have to rain on Monday.
    4. I went for my wellness annual physical yesterday morning. The doctor said I was normal. I laughed and told him my wife questions that daily.
    5. Happy Game 1 day !!! (insert baseball emoji here)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. Truck inspection was "failed" due to a burned out high beam indicator (the blue light on the dash). Crap, labor for that will be $$$.
    2. Right now The Girl waits until the last minute to do things. I told her that she's the daughter of a planner so she knows better.
    3. Mrs. P is not enjoying work right now. The new company president is changing everything including personnel forms.
    4. Band is occupying way too much time, but marching season will be over very soon.
    5. Fall soccer is over this weekend. Weekends will be returned (to raking leaves & yard work).
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Halloween at the office - low key. This is my first Halloween here, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

2) Halloween in the neighborhood - crazy. And the "kids parade" for our small subdivision starts about the time I come home, which means LOTS OF SMALL PERSONS IN THE STREET!

3) St. Arnold's Pumpkinator is out, and I have 3 bottles!

4) Dog was not thrilled with the cold temps. She looked pitiful before going out to do her business.

5) It might rain tonight early enough to disrupt ToT. If it does, there will be lots of whiny kids in my neighborhood.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

1. Found a card from my grandma in a place I had forgotten
    2. Kinda nice to see it
    3. A forgotten treasure
    4. Found once more
    5. Made sweeter by the memory of it
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    1) It is sad to hear about the attack in NYC today. I think it will cause me to rethink the way I design some bike paths in an effort to prevent things like this from happening.
    2) Taking the kids Trick or Treating tonight... but I am freaking exhausted.
    3) Some new houses being built near my house. I am going to change my route home because of it. Although it will be nice to have this phase of my neighborhood built out.
    4) Tomorrow is November. I am not ready for that.
    5) My youngest had crazy hair day yesterday. He did not realize it until he got to preschool and looked in the mirror. It freaked him out apparently.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

1. Finally broke down and watched Spider man- Homecoming
    2. I am now officially too old for a movie.
    3. Glad it's a 4 day week for us.
    4. Going to take part of the day and see Thor-Ragnorok
    5. Vacation in two weeks and one day

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. Local HS football and soccer teams advance in the state playoffs.
    2. Ever had an applicant tell you one thing and the property owner, who is wants to rent the place to said applicant, tell you something different? Yep. Me too.
    3. The Girl and I are watching Stranger Things, but she is ahead of me by 4 episodes.
    4. Leaf season has begun in earnest. Swept the deck on Sunday and yesterday it was completely cover again.
    5. Taking a mental health day on Friday. Looking forward to driving some twisty roads.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Historically, the Tuesday after the Autumn time change is really bad for me. Today is no different, and I'm struggling to stay awake.
    2. I was going to take some sick time and go home early to crash, but a board member wants to talk at 2. It's urgent, but I'm sleepy.
    3. I had poblano and potato tacos for lunch.
    4. A glass of chocolate milk would taste good right now.
    5. A big chunk of the county where I work is under boil water advisory.

Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    1. Historically, the Tuesday after the Autumn time change is really bad for me. Today is no different, and I'm struggling to stay awake.
    Yeah, it's hard to adjust to those early sunsets. At my latitude and distance from the time zone, the sun sets about 5:25PM and will continue to set earlier and earlier until mid-December when it sets about 5:04 PM. Then ever so slowly, beginning in late December it will start setting later again. Civil Twilight ads almost a half an hour, so there is still light in the sky past 6:00 for now, but nevertheless it's hard to adjust to the darkness coming on so suddenly.

I wish they would just extend DST. Push it back a couple of more weeks into November than then have it start earlier in March, or even Late February.

1. Got my CM credits in, finally!
    2. Thanks to the NY conference offering the sessions on the APA website
    3. Speaking of which, NOLA next year
    4. The next three weeks are going to short weeks
    5. Tough to watch the weight this time of year.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. I took a week off and upon return was SHOCKED to find some items had been addressed in my absence!
    2. I'm actually doing kinda okay with my weight at the moment considering the time of year
    3. I don't know what to do with my old stamp collection. Haven't touched it in ~40 years. Should I sell 'em?
    4. Lots of responsibilities at home need to be taken care of
    5. For once it feels like things are tipping too far in the direction of home in the whole work-life balance thing.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. Golfed with my brother and beat him by 6 strokes on his home course. I hadn't played since July & he plays 2 or 3 times a week. He was not happy.
    2. USA is not going to Russia for the 2018 World Cup...but neither is Italy now. Beaten by Sweden in the Qualifiers.
    3. It's chilly today - even inside as I hadn't switched over to heat yet. The thermostat said it was 64 in my office.
    4. Mrs. P worries too much about things that are extremely unlikely to happen.
    5. I find it humorous when I tell The Girl something & she doesn't believe me, only to be told the same thing by someone else who she believes (& then it happens). But I'm Dad so...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    3. I don't know what to do with my old stamp collection. Haven't touched it in ~40 years. Should I sell 'em?.
    Unless you have some super rarities, the collection is likely worth very little...like almost nothing. The bottom dropped out of the market in the last 10 years and is unlikely to ever recover.

What you have there is simply a collection of cultural ephemera.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Yesterday and today have not been good days. I've had worse, but still . . .

2) I hate it when people lie.

3) What's the best way to get a bit of peace and quiet around here???

4) I survived my MIL's long weekend visit. She is fine in small doses.

5) My dog sneezed a lot whenever my MIL was close to her. I think it's the excessive scented stuff - lotion, powder, perfume, etc.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. I used to really look forward to Thanksgiving when I was a kid. Nowadays not really.
    2. Yesterday it is 18 years of marriage this time.
    3. Tonight's council meeting will be a long one as the incumbent that wasn't re-elected will get on his soapbox.
    4. I don't like LaVar or tRump - but this is kinda funny (& sad).
    5. Another big windy day and the vast majority of leaves will be down off the trees.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. I’m finishing my work day close to home and am off tomorrow, which means that I’m officially off the highway until Monday.
    2. Speaking of highways, I really enjoy inspecting heavy highway jobs.
    3. Hot chocolate from Panera is sickening sweet.
    4. If I didn’t have to work, I’d be playing outside today.
    5. Well, sometimes working is like playing outside.

1. T-18 hours and counting
    2. Windriver is a great movie
    3. Going through that war/cold/warm phase again
    4. Looking to get in some reading during the holiday
    5. Will switch my Pandora station Christmas music on December 1st.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. I'm listening to Chuck Berry songs first thing as I work and get organized.
    2. It's nice and quiet working on the first two days of deer season.
    3. We're enjoying some warm weather today.
    4. One of my sister agency coworkers got mad about my response to a complaint.
    5. I've set up a Santa's workshop and am sewing some gifts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. whatever happened to the age of bold exploration?
    2. code enforcement is in a temporary lull
    3. Wallander is a dark show
    4. I still enjoy 'driving around' random places on google earth streetview
    5. I have never been to Arkansas, New Mexico, or Hawaii

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. T-giving leftovers are officially gone as of last night.
    2. A city PW storage building was set on fire Sunday & we lost 4 pieces of equipment. The building can not be rebuilt as it's in the floodplain.
    3. I saw a bunch of blue lights yesterday after work at the top of the hill near my house. I decided to walk the dog to see and found an Escalade was being searched.
    4. Speaking of the dog, he gets really excited when he figures out we're going for a walk.
    5. If you're a waitress/server in a pub-style restaurant, you should know which flippin' beers you have on tap!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. Today is my oldest brother's birthday. He's the one we accuse of stealing the growth/height genes from us younger ones.
    2. Successfully changed spark plugs and ignition coils in my car (&it still runs). Thinking of adding a cold air intake.
    3. Customer Service sent a lady with a form saying "Please Return to the Police Department" to Planning. I have no idea why except it was easier that way & that's how they roll.
    4. I hate having to talk with Charter (Spectrum) about billing and other cable issues. I'm not at home. I can't turn on the box, or check a channel, or check signal strength, or anything close since I'm at work.
    5. Council should be interesting tonight, both in a good and potential not so good way.

Registered
    May 2006
    1. I got a new job
    2. I got a NEW JOB!!
    3. I got A NEW JOB!!
    4. I got A NEW JOB!!!
    5. I drive a SICK VOLVO and it makes me very happy

1. A long term friendship ended over politics
    2. Amongst other issues
    3. Supposed to turn off cold the next couple of days
    4. It will be good sleeping weather
    5. Odd listening to Christmas carols about snow in a place it rarely snows.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1- oral surgery this morning - dental implant - drilling into the jaw bone & setting what looks like a ultra fine micro screw.
    2 - post oral surgery - not much pain - just a throbbing sensation.
    3 - Secret Santa shopping - work in progress
    4 - it is getting cold around here.
    5 - congrats to TT on getting the job.

+ Reply to thread
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Next tuesday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Jan 2012, 3:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM