Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1653

Thread: Five Things Tuesday

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    1. Looks like I'm in charge of dinner tonight. I think I'll grill something if its not overly windy.
    2. Going to be working with the local high school on a special project for downtown. Should be a fun one too.
    3. Finance lost another one. That's #4 in 3 years and another says she'll be retiring in the spring. Wow!
    4. I have GOT to get the Christmas cards mailed (& SS gift too).
    5. There are only a handful of independent civil engineers in the area and none of them are very good for different reasons.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

#whiningalert

1. I don't have snow tires on my Jetta
    2. I barely got into the driveway of the house I sit at that is 3/4 mile up the side of a mountain so I was able to park it at the bottom facing out
    3. walked up the mountain in leather boots as my snow boots are at home (forgot to bring them)
    4. I hope I make it up the hill tonight after they have plowed
    5. Took a walk at noontime and the snow turned to rain and I am wearing a wool coat
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Christmas carols were playing in the lobby as I left work,’and I sang along as I walked through. For a second, I really believed that I sound just like Karen Carpenter.
    2. We got a little bit of snow today.
    3. I’m sure glad to be home.
    4. Once in a while, I meet someone who’s kind just for the sake of being kind.
    5. I love old movies.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. There's a lot to be said of being second in command.
    2. I found $7 on the ladies' room floor. I'm trying to find the owner, but if it isn't claimed by end of business, I'm using it to buy soft drinks for the board lunch tomorrow. Unless it's tainted.
    3. Our Christmas tree, a balsam fir, cost $15 now that it's almost Christmas.
    4. My coworkers are special people.
    5. USPS delivered a card from my 87 year old aunt. The front of the envelope had my name, my mom's street address and listed the big city and state, instead of my small town. No postal code. That was exceptional service.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    1. Going to present to both Planning Commissions (yeah we have two) tomorrow to talk about sea level rise. #prayforme
    2. After a big scare on Saturday, the winds have calmed down and the Thomas Fire is now 50% contained.
    3. I can see blue sky!
    4. Winds are expected for the next 2 days, if we can get through the next 2 days then the fire should be in mop-up stage in the backcountry and evac orders can be lifted.
    5. I am so eternally grateful for all of the firefighters and first responders and volunteers and everyone pulling together and helping our area and each other.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Night meeting tonight

2) Night meeting tomorrow night

3) Night meeting Thursday night

4) No rest for the wicked - or the weary

5) Christmas shopping done, just need to wrap!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003

Am I doing this right?

1. The Tuesday afternoon meeting I usually attend is cancelled the rest of this month.

2. Next meeting is tomorrow AM.
    3. Got an email yesterday advising me of a late December meeting to ask if I am interested. I replied in email and also called as I was asked to do. Have not heard back yet.

4. I actually applied for a planner related job and made the first cut. If I get it, that scream you are hearing across the continent is me going "YESSSS!!!!!"
    5. I can't believe I spontaneously remembered my Cyburbia password after being unable to remember it for so long.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. This is definitely not a normal Tuesday. Any workday immediately following Christmas is not normal
    2. The good news is things are pretty quiet and appear to have been pretty quiet all last week
    3. It's shocking how much one can eat in a week when they really apply themselves to the task
    4. I got books for Christmas. Lots of books
    5. Junior will be wanting to go sledding today. However, I'm concerned he's getting a nasty cough
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. This week is cold, not just today but the frigid entire week.
    2. Weekend plans will have to be rearranged again (see #1).
    3. Every school district in our region was on a 2-hour delay because of the temp except ours. I had no problem with that and no issues getting The Girl to school.
    4. The girl did good this morning getting up in time enough to leave. She put everything together yesterday so all she had to do was roll out of bed & get dressed.
    5. I did not but any drinks in the fridge, I just left them on the counter in the garage. It was colder than the fridge.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

1. First day back after 3 days off
    2. Went of a brisk 2 mile walk yesterday
    3. Actually got stuff done yesterday
    4. The have blood oranges in the produce section
    5. They are better than they sound.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. I bet none of you were thinking about high school basketball just now
    2. I've stayed on top of keeping the driveway shoveled pretty well so far this winter
    3. The gardening bug is just beginning to stir
    4. We made a five containers of Christmas cookies. We're down to the last one as of yesterday.
    5. The New Years Eve show was a bust. Poorly attended. Not surprising when it's 5 degrees out
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. We thought that the usual people who send cookies and things dropped us from their lists. No. Everything came in around Christmas Eve and there are cookies in the office today.
    2. I had a space heater running all day. The dry heat causes static.
    3. I hate static.
    4. I’ve been productive today.
    5. The son who won’t tell me what he wants for dinner roared into the kitchen a few nights ago demanding food. Something was cooking on every burner, but wasn’t done fast enough to keep him from complaining.

Registered
    May 2002
    1. Took two really long walks this weekend on a very cold and practically deserted beach. I found it awesome.
    2. The extreme cold definitely kept some folks away from festivities this year.
    3. Don't tell me at 2 pm that you want me to attend a meeting at 6:30 tonight. Just don't do it.
    4. I truly don't know how people who live where winter is always bitterly cold deal with it.
    5. Getting exited about the group I'm assembling to serve on a steering committee.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. Working from home today because it was 11 degrees at sunrise. Of course, this is the day the crew working on replacing our deck and patio decided to break out the jackhammer.
    2. Hey, UGA is in the National Championship game! That was one hell of a good (and nerve-wracking) Rose Bowl.
    3. Headed to Arizona for work later this month...followed by a trip to Boston. I do not do well with cold weather (see #1 above). I prefer Boston in the summer months.
    4. Alzheimer's is an awful disease. Thankfully my mother had three good days in a row over Christmas.
    5. Ventured out for New Year's, which is a rarity (we usually stay in at a friend's house) - went into it with some dread (there was an 80's cover band involved), but we ended up having a really good time.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. Gosh, i like popcorn
    2. Except I despise how all the kernels get stuck in your teeth/gums
    3. I have to inspect an apartment today where the primary complaint seems to be that they have a radiator instead of a forced air furnace
    4. China has stopped accepting recyclables from other countries
    5. Radio season is back in full swing

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. I've had to remind myself a couple of times that this is Tuesday, not Monday.
    2. Putting together an extensive PPT from 6 or 7 previous ones. That's always fun trying to find the old ones, pull out parts and reformat into one cohesive presentation.
    3. This year is going to be BUSY.
    4. I routinely talk 'beer' with the other guy in the office, but there's no one hear to talk about the EPL.
    5. I made chili this weekend and it was fabulous (although Mrs. P said it was too spicy).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. I have to come up with a presentation about permit conditions. There’s a reason no one reads them.
    2. Not getting waited on right away makes dining alone that much worse.
    3. It just keeps snowing.
    4. My wanderlust seems to have run its course.
    5. I meet really interesting people when I stop judging them.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    5. I meet really interesting people when I stop judging them.
    Indeed. Good for all of us (humanity) to realize and then live by.

Excellent.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. A lot is going on this Friday: court, Junior has a day off, and we have a production meeting for the radio show
    2. Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is a great idea for a talk show format
    3. I don't really enjoy amusement parks anymore
    4. Well don't you know that bird is the word?
    5. The Trashmen were truly a proto-punk band

1. Another day of screwy weather
    2. Welcome to the non summer months in the South
    3. I'm learning to write dialog for story I'm working on.
    4. It's not easy
    5. Especially when your forte is poetry.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. Actually in the office today - I scheduled a meeting for this afternoon, so I figured it would be bad form to not show up for my own meeting.

2. Free lunch today - timing is everything.

3. Added a new cat to the family on Saturday - he's a great little fellow (one year old, solid chocolate coloring). I'm hoping the other two cats don't mess him up today while I'm not there (just some hissing and growling so far).

4. Had dinner Friday night with our new next door neighbors - turns out one of them has family members who own a coffee plantation in El Salvador. Free coffee!!!

5. I hate this time of year for sports-viewing - I'm not much of a NBA fan (outside of checking the score of Hawks games), I don't watch the NHL anymore (screw you for leaving town, Thrashers), and I really don't pay much attention to college basketball until the conference tournaments. I can't wait for MLB, MLS, and the racing season to get started.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2006
    1. I GOT A *new* NEW JOB - The Firm in NJ that I passed over this summer when my current agency Salary matched. Turns out that match wasn't exactly what I was promised and I have been unhappy ever since. This could not have come at a better time. It is not going to be easy per say, but I am ready to take it on. I am already reading up on New Jersey's Municipal Land Use Law and have some homework to do before I start, but WOW when you are treated with respect and doing something you want to be doing, that extra mile is paved in gold. This will push back my return to Montreal, which the job is totally cool with. By than the firm will have hired a mid level AICP planner. I cant ask for a better deal.

2. I am buying a Mercedes for under $1000!!! A 1981 W123 300d diesel that is in near perfect condition at 175k (nothing for a Benz of this chassis) with the exception of a few easily fixable vacuum hose leaks. I will be using it as my car in Jersey while I *very slowly* restore my Volvo to Phase 0 condition. The Volvo is going to be mothballed at my parents house under a car cover - I will take it out to keep it fresh when I come back every month or so to work on it/see my folx.

3. I am relocating to New Jersey. Going to live with some relatives until I find a room closer to my office.

4. Cute girls keep following me back on IG - More incentive to loose more weight! Im down 22 lbs since moving back from Montreal.

5. MEOW

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Yet another day where the person who called the meeting doesn't show up for the meeting.

2) Had one of those nights last night where I would wake up every couple of hours for no reason. I was able to go back to sleep relatively quickly, but still - not a good night's sleep.

3) I might be anti-social tonight and cozy up with some Netflix and a drink.

4) Weather around here is crazy. Teens last week. Seventy this weekend. Close to freezing overnight. Man, I wish it would be a bit more consistent - I don't know whether to wear sweaters or dresses.

5) Love my car but am thinking maybe getting something newer.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Getting ready to head to Day 2 (of 4) of the annual council workshop (1)
    I'm done with my presentations for the workshop (2)
    I've not been sleeping well the last couple nights, including 1 night I woke up at 3:45 and couldn't go back to sleep. (3)
    This is exam week for The Girl and their drop-off and pick-up times are all out of wack (4)
    Someone asked the clerk to schedule a meeting for February 30th. Her response was 'that day is unavailable' (5)

TT - congrats on the job thingy!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    TT - congrats on the job thingy!!!
    Ditto! Nice work, bro.

+ Reply to thread
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Next tuesday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Jan 2012, 3:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:42 PM
  4. Super Tuesday