Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MAP Conference - Traverse City

Registered
    Feb 2002

MAP Conference - Traverse City

Anyone going?! I'll be there Wed thru Friday afternoon.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I will not be in attendance.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Nor will I.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Nope. Too much money for my employer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Saving up for Chicago.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I won't be there, because I'm in New York State.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Also, while I realize that there are planners all over the state of Michigan, IMO, the state conference should just rotate between Detroit and Grand Rapids. That's where the vast majority of the people are coming from anyways. The travel/lodging costs to a place like Traverse City is just too high.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Also, while I realize that there are planners all over the state of Michigan, IMO, the state conference should just rotate between Detroit and Grand Rapids. That's where the vast majority of the people are coming from anyways. The travel/lodging costs to a place like Traverse City is just too high.
    I enjoyed walking to the conference last year... even if it was raining.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Off-topic:
    I have never been to Traverse City and my wife and I were thinking of going up there for a long weekend this week. I couldn't believe how expensive hotels are there! We will be taking our money to Ludington instead.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Off-topic:
    I couldn't believe how expensive hotels are there!
    You should check into rates at A-Ga-Ming, week-days in October look fairly reasonable. It's just 15 minutes north of the Grand Traverse Resort, with great views of Torch Lake.

http://www.a-ga-ming.com/lodging_rates/

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Seriously, no one?! Ugh, you guys are killing me! (sigh). I'll have to suffer through my introvertedness and meet some new people. Or stay in my hotel room and work (more likely).

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Saving up for Chicago.
    I considered skipping MAP to go to Chicago, but only for a second. We're limited to out of state travel and the cost, etc.

Quote Originally posted by btrage
    I agree some places are too high - Traverse City, Mackinac Island. I talked to them last year and they said their highest attendance are at these places, which is interesting becase as you noted they are more epxensive. Besides the cost factor, I would like them to consider other places where there's more real-world issues going on (ie I'd be happy to host ).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree, but I'd throw in Lansing just for yucks as it is central. I was looking at going to get some CM credits but my workload is too high and my dollars too short. I suspect that most planners are working at agencies where they have suspended paying for unnecessary travel and have cut back on training costs. I was looking at possible attending the Weds, but even with my northern Michigan cabin it would be nearly a 4 hour commute back and forth!

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I agree some places are too high - Traverse City, Mackinac Island. I talked to them last year and they said their highest attendance are at these places, which is interesting becase as you noted they are more epxensive. Besides the cost factor, I would like them to consider other places where there's more real-world issues going on (ie I'd be happy to host ).
    What? No real world issues in Michigan Disneyland? They need us to come up there to buy fudge or they will be penniless!

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Off-topic:
    I have never been to Traverse City and my wife and I were thinking of going up there for a long weekend this week. I couldn't believe how expensive hotels are there! We will be taking our money to Ludington instead.
    There are a lot of other towns that are close-by and much more affordable. Be sure to drive Lelennau Peninsula. Places like Sleeping Bear, Leland and Northport are better for your soul than TC. Frankfort is similar to Ludington, but a lot closer to the Sleeping Bear.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    There are a lot of other towns that are close-by and much more affordable. Be sure to drive Lelennau Peninsula. Places like Sleeping Bear, Leland and Northport are better for your soul than TC. Frankfort is similar to Ludington, but a lot closer to the Sleeping Bear.
    I've been to Sleeping Bear a few times and to Leland for some day trips to South Manitou Island. I've also been to Interlochen, Charlevoix, and Petosky a couple times each... just never to Traverse City (looking at a map just now, I realize I have actually been in the city limits of Traverse City when passing through to other locales, but never downtown). Sleeping Bear is probably my absolute favorite place in the state. This year I'm going to try to go up there once or twice in the snowy season and try some snowshoeing on the dunes. There are some dunes at Silver Lake State Park just south of Ludington so we are going to try to hit those ones up on this trip (even if we're not taking the Jeep ).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm still not going. Sorry, Michiganders.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Anyone going?! I'll be there Wed thru Friday afternoon.
    So how was the conference???

Registered
    Feb 2002
    It was actually very good. A lot of good information and met some cool people. I did good and even stepped out of my comfort zone quite a few times.

Registered
    May 2005
    It was actually very good. A lot of good information and met some cool people. I did good and even stepped out of my comfort zone quite a few times.
    Now I'm jealous.

I'm betting Lansing or Detroit gets it next year? If so, I should be able to make it.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Now I'm jealous.

I'm betting Lansing or Detroit gets it next year? If so, I should be able to make it.
    Not sure if they announced where it'll be next year. There were quite a few people I knew, so I made do. Had a good time, learned a lot, added quite a few things to my "to-do" list.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was in a meeting yesterday and heard from a fellow planner that I was honored at the Conference.

Honored for being on the "Old Suckas List" 20 years or more membership, only made it to 1.5 conferences!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2010, 2:19 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Oct 2009, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jan 2009, 8:06 PM
  4. Who's Attending Edge City Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2004, 6:14 PM