Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The 10 emptiest US cities of 2012

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The 10 emptiest US cities of 2012

The conclusions are based on rental and homeowner vacancy rates.
    Florida has two: Tampa and Orlando.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48209172?slide=2

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I love the town where I live, but I long for a place that's a bit more ... affordable.

Around here, "affordable" and "workforce" housing starts in the high hundreds. Wish I got here ten years ago, when real estate was half the price it is now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can't believe that Detroit is only 4th most. Maybe its hard to get a handle on homes that people no longer own or rent?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It's just crazy how high the vacancy rates are in some of these metros, especially the sunbelt areas which built way too much during the boom. Here in the MA we actually have a housing shortage.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    It's just crazy how high the vacancy rates are in some of these metros, especially the sunbelt areas which built way too much during the boom. Here in the MA we actually have a housing shortage.
    Send em our way!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I can't believe that Detroit is only 4th most. Maybe its hard to get a handle on homes that people no longer own or rent?
    I bet that the vacancy rate would be a lot higher if there hadn't been so many burn outs and tear downs.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I bet that the vacancy rate would be a lot higher if there hadn't been so many burn outs and tear downs.
    There are so many properties here that are tangled in the foreclosure mess its not even funny. Its hard to wrap your mind around how these will play. These are open for strippers (no not those kind of strippers), and will eventually end up as burn outs or tear downs. Very sad.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    There are so many properties here that are tangled in the foreclosure mess its not even funny. Its hard to wrap your mind around how these will play. These are open for strippers (no not those kind of strippers), and will eventually end up as burn outs or tear downs. Very sad.
    My wife grew up near City Airport off Gratiot. I'll bet there aren't more than 5 houses left on her block.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    They must be counting squatters as residents.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

I'm actually a bit surprised to see Atlanta and Houston on this list.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My wife grew up near City Airport off Gratiot. I'll bet there aren't more than 5 houses left on her block.
    If she was West of the airport, I bet its two! http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Detroi...+Michigan&z=16

The sad thing is at one time the City was buying land there to expand the airport. Why it felt it needed to when Metro Airport has more capacity than darned near any airport in North America is beyond me.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    They must be counting squatters as residents.
    I thought they all lived in the fertile crescent known as Bloomingham Hills!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My house is ALWAYS open for strippers. Thank-you, thank-you. I'll be here all week.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If she was West of the airport, I bet its two! http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Detroi...+Michigan&z=16

The sad thing is at one time the City was buying land there to expand the airport. Why it felt it needed to when Metro Airport has more capacity than darned near any airport in North America is beyond me.
    She was East of it but her street looks like those. Southwest Airlines would probably still be there instead of DTW if the City had made the runway improvements that it promised.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Sep 2010, 9:06 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Mar 2010, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Oct 2004, 11:17 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 4:45 AM
  5. Replies: 2