Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Malaprops and mispronunciations that drive you nuts

Registered
    Feb 2004
    And then there's when the pendulum swings too far in the other direction and folks get all pedantic about things like ....

"ATM Machine?!!!! Don't you know the 'M' in the acronym ATM stands for 'machine' thereby making usage of word machine redundant. You could say AT machine and be correct, or ATM, but not ATM machine...."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Maybe this needs a separate thread but at the risk of being a troll:

How do people feel about splitting infinitives? Do we want to boldly go there? Or not?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Maybe this needs a separate thread but at the risk of being a troll:

How do people feel about splitting infinitives? Do we want to boldly go there? Or not?
    Herr Speakup, that is entirely up to you.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My dad used to say 'bacc-a-ru-da' instead of 'barr-a-cu-da' just to piss me off.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

"Hot water heater". If the water is already hot, why are you heating it?
    "Try and". Fingernails on a blackboard for me, especially when I see a journalist do it.
    Dangling prepositions are verbal torture, if you ask me. "Where are you at?" (It hurts just to type it.)
    "Moscow" -- there are no cows in Moscow.
    "Nevada" -- it's not neh-vah-da.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Chipolte.

"We got catering from Chipolte at this meeting."

Word, and as you scraped your weird paper bowl, the bottom still said ChipoTLE.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    And then there's when the pendulum swings too far in the other direction and folks get all pedantic about things like ....

"ATM Machine?!!!! Don't you know the 'M' in the acronym ATM stands for 'machine' thereby making usage of word machine redundant. You could say AT machine and be correct, or ATM, but not ATM machine...."
    Haha. My 12 year old son made this same observation just last week. I told him redundancy is a venerable American tradition. Like Shrimp Scampi or Pizza Pie.

I share others' horror with "where's it at?" I carry a cyanide pill in a hollow tooth in the event I ever utter that phrase myself...

The improper use of apostrophes seems to be spreading like VD these days. I've even seen it on major company materials lately. You know, places that have staff, consultants and advertising firms hired to screen and edit for these things. Sorry, I meant "to screen and edit for these thing's."
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Jewelry. It's joo-wel-ree, not joo-lur-ee.

and

It's a bedroom suite (sweet) not a bedroom suit (soot).
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    The improper use of apostrophes seems to be spreading like VD these days. I've even seen it on major company materials lately. You know, places that have staff, consultants and advertising firms hired to screen and edit for these things. Sorry, I meant "to screen and edit for these thing's."
    Don't get me started on that one! This morning I read a post on a listserve about the "crows in the tree's."

I was so tempted to correct the person. C'mon, guys, didn't they cover plurals in first grade?!?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ sometimes gives me the look if I say "HO-tel" or "MO-tel".

Our President always says "ta" instead of "to", as in "We have to get people back ta work".

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The medium strip. You know, that landscaped area separating a divided roadway.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The medium strip. You know, that landscaped area separating a divided roadway.

The neutral ground!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Some mispronunciations I am guilty of:

Explicit with a hard C
    'Libs" for pounds (lbs)

Colonel - phonetically instead of "Kernel"

Adding t on to the end of words like Potion, Lotion as in Potient or Lotient. I spell it right if I write it, it's just that I keep thinking there's a t at the end when I say it.

I use speech recognition software sometimes because its faster than typing. But I can't seem to be able to train it to tell the difference between how I see "and" and "in".

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I use speech recognition software sometimes because its faster than typing. But I can't seem to be able to train it to tell the difference between how I see "and" and "in".
    What kind do you use? Can you use it with Microsoft Word?

Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    What kind do you use? Can you use it with Microsoft Word?
    I use Dragon Naturally Speaking. Yes, it works great with Microsoft Word. I rote my two planning books using it (shameless plug). It does not work very well with Excel, however. I have never tried it with a browser.

You have to watch it all the time because its accuracy is only 95% or so, but I find I can write very quickly using it. I am the kind of person who when they get stuck writing something, tries to say it anyways, so it is a great fit for me.

One funny thing: sometimes the phone will ring or a student or colleague will walk into my office and I will forget to turn off the microphone. I have ended up with half a conversation in the middle of a paper.

Registered
    May 2002
    I go to church with a woman that calls an "idea" an "ideal". I figured that she just had a Kentucky twang until I actually saw her write it out "ideal", as in, "I have an ideal." So, no, not a Kentucky twang, just poorly educated I guess.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    How timely! The podcast Lexicon Valley had an episode all about malaprops last week: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ey/id500673866
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "for all intensive purposes"

"sim-YOU-lar"

"man-ah-facture"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    "irregardless"

Freaking drives me NUTS when a coworker says it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I had a secretary who always would say "Flustrated" Flustered + Frustrated
    My wife always says 'fustrated'

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    "irregardless"

Tends to be my mom's favorite expression - and its nails on the chalkboard time for me.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    "irregardless"

I had a coworker when I worked in the university library who hated that word. She was always kind of snotty to me, so I tried to slip in an irregardless just to piss her off.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Nuts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 08 Jan 2010, 10:16 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 8:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM