+ Reply to thread

Thread: State Department: No secret plan to invade Canada

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

State Department: No secret plan to invade Canada

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-invade-canada

Was anybody worried ?

A U.S. invasion of Canada also featured in the film, "Canadian Bacon," starring John Candy, Alan Alda and Rhea Perlman, and the movie South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, which included the song "Blame Canada."

There is also a website called www.invadecanada.us, which lists reasons such as connecting the mainland U.S. with Alaska,
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From the site:

We don't have that in the U.S... you know, there aren't any (Texas) big states (Texas) that think that they're better (Texas) than the rest of the Union (Texas).
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't Laugh, Alan Alda, John Candy, and Reah Perlman are freaking out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOlQ9If_cA
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

We should! Save those brave Canadian patriots from having health care and high gas prices.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Did a bit of quick research, and ... there IS an official plan to invade Canada!

From the Washington Post: Raiding the Icebox

Canadian Mounties

Invading Canada won't be like invading Iraq: When we invade Canada, nobody will be able to grumble that we didn't have a plan.

The United States government does have a plan to invade Canada. It's a 94-page document called "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red," with the word SECRET stamped on the cover. It's a bold plan, a bodacious plan, a step-by-step plan to invade, seize and annex our neighbor to the north. It goes like this:

First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.

Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.

Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports.

At that point, it's only a matter of time before we bring these Molson-swigging, maple-mongering Zamboni drivers to their knees! Or, as the official planners wrote, stating their objective in bold capital letters: "ULTIMATELY TO GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL."
    The feeling was mutual.

In fact, Canadian military strategists developed a plan to invade the United States in 1921 -- nine years before their American counterparts created War Plan Red.

The Canadian plan was developed by the country's director of military operations and intelligence, a World War I hero named James Sutherland "Buster" Brown. Apparently Buster believed that the best defense was a good offense: His "Defence Scheme No. 1" called for Canadian soldiers to invade the United States, charging toward Albany, Minneapolis, Seattle and Great Falls, Mont., at the first signs of a possible U.S. invasion.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The Canadian plan was developed by the country's director of military operations and intelligence, a World War I hero named James Sutherland "Buster" Brown. Apparently Buster believed that the best defense was a good offense: His "Defence Scheme No. 1" called for Canadian soldiers to invade the United States, charging toward Albany, Minneapolis, Seattle and Great Falls, Mont., at the first signs of a possible U.S. invasion.
    Wow what an audacious plan! Imagine the tailspin the country would be sent into if we lost both Albany, NY and Great Falls, Mont. at the same time. Talk about going for the jugular....

Kinda reminds me an article published in the AAG Journal maybe 20 years ago, where a Canadian geographer (I forget who) posited the US felt psychologically threatened by that peninsula that constitutes the southwest corner of Ontario because it is poised like a dagger extending into the US's vulnerable heartland!.
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Oct 2012 at 10:27 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Wow what an audacious plan! Imagine the tailspin the country would be sent into if we lost both Albany, NY and Great Falls, Mont. at the same time. Talk about going for the jugular....
    We've already lost Seattle to them! Here is something that you may not know, and I bet this is the same in Buffalo so Dan may be able to back me up with this. The Canadiens come over to the border towns to steal our good jobs. The hospitals in particular are full of Canadien workers!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Kinda reminds me an article published in the AAG Journal maybe 20 years ago, where a Canadian geographer (I forget who) posited the US felt psychologically threatened by that peninsula that constitutes the southwest corner of Ontario because it is poised like a dagger extending into the US's vulnerable heartland!.
    Poised like a dagger? That's no dagger, that's the trunk of the elephant. Look to the north and you'll see the rest of the elephant including it's tail. And just under the tail, there's Owen Sound, the a$$hole of Canada. Not my opinion, that's what I was told by my Canadian geographer friends while we were in grad school.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Poised like a dagger? That's no dagger, that's the trunk of the elephant.
    I wasn't even going to be that charitable. Looks more like a limp.... to me
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I wasn't even going to be that charitable. Looks more like a limp.... to me
    I'm concerned about any man who's obsessed with limp . You've lived in a peninsular state entirely too long. Wrap that mitten around your flaccid thoughts and straighten up!

Registered
    May 2005
    Maybe Canada will invade the U.S.

They have hockey, good women and good beer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Yeah, "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average." Lake Wobegon is somewhere in Canada isn't it?

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Yeah, but their cigarettes taste even worse than usual.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Jun 2010, 5:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 4:43 PM
  3. The Invade Canada Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 81
    Last post: 03 Mar 2010, 8:23 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Feb 2004, 11:20 PM