3 11.11%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Off on Columbus Day?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Off on Columbus Day?

How did I do on this poll Maister ?

Is a work day because Fri., Nov. 23 (fri after thanksgiving - black friday) is a holiday in lieu of Columbus Day
    Last edited by JNA; 08 Oct 2012 at 8:45 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How did I do on this poll Maister ?
    Simply awesome.....except spelling 'having' with an 'n' (I'd correct if for you but it seems the ability to do so is not one of my superpowers. Sorry.)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I work for a government office and we are open today so I nave to work. However, 99% of the outside folks I deal with are people at other government offices and most of them are off today so it will be a quiet day here.

I guess a few years before I started here, the employees took a vote on whether they wanted to keep Columbus Day as a holiday or nave to work on Columbus Day but get a floating holiday that we can use once a year whenever we like. The floating holiday won out.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Simply awesome.....except spelling 'having' with an 'n' (I'd correct if for you but it seems the ability to do so is not one of my superpowers. Sorry.)
    Fixed.

Oh, and at work today.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm working.

However, unlike WSU, the county I work in is off today, so it will be slow.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ahh I was wondering why the phone ain't ringing. Today is catch-up day!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    At work, but I get holiday's y'all don't get either.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am still unemployed, so I have every day off

Registered
    Jul 2006
    At work by personal choice not by fiat.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    City offices are open.

Local ISD is not open. It's State Fair Day for the kiddos. So, if yo'ure a parent in this district, you have to deal with kid out of school but work being open.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Paid Holiday.

So it's a four-day work week for me, but I've noticed that four day work weeks - especially when a Monday is a holiday - always seem longer than 5-day work weeks. That's because my brain is in such a state of atrophy by Tuesday morning from the long weekend, that that I just end up staggering into work and rest of the week seems drawn out and just crawls along. Anyone else experience this?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We are off. Although I really wish we moved this day to somewhere closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas. It would be much more practical.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    We are here...but its awfully quiet..not sure if its the cool-rainy weather or just us.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm working and cursing all you slackers...

Everyone I know who isn't in the public sector is working today... they're sending me e-mails.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    Paid Holiday.

So it's a four-day work week for me, but I've noticed that four day work weeks - especially when a Monday is a holiday - always seem longer than 5-day work weeks. That's because my brain is in such a state of atrophy by Tuesday morning from the long weekend, that that I just end up staggering into work and rest of the week seems drawn out and just crawls along. Anyone else experience this?
    My regular schedule is 4-10 which means 4-12's and the days fly by. When I worked a standard work week and I would agree with the above statement.

As for Columbus Day I am working. This is the first government job I have had where I worked on Columbus Day.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Off on Columbus Day?
    Never (private sector), but all of my clients were, so I was able to get caught up on a bunch of administrative crap in peace and quiet...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Private sector, but off. We work on many Federal contracts so our company holiday schedule follows the federal calendar. Went to the zoo with the fam.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Public sector, with government offices closed. Still an official holiday in Upstate New York, the large-ish Italian-American population probably a factor keeping it so.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Wish I had Columbus Day off since it falls on my birthday some years (like this year).

Registered
    May 2002
    I got it off, which I don't remember having had off before, but when I used the day to go for a walk, I saw that my old office was closed too.

I had a fairly productive day, having finished mowing the lawn, done a couple craft projects, and then taking my family out.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Let's rip on Columbus
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 16 Oct 2013, 10:56 AM
  2. Columbus GA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 19 Aug 2010, 9:56 PM
  3. Hello from Columbus
    Introduce Yourself