Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your package: let the comparisons begin

Registered
    Aug 2005

Tell us about your package: let the comparisons begin

*waves at LP* Welcome back!

Hubby and I are going to be downgrading our cable package. It is the right thing to do but I will miss the Food Network and Bravo. I don't like being addicted to tv.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    *waves at LP* Welcome back!

Hubby and I are going to be downgrading our cable package. It is the right thing to do but I will miss the Food Network and Bravo. I don't like being addicted to tv.
    My SO was mentioning how maybe she'd like to upgrade our cable so she can watch her favorite shows. To be honest I'm not really keen on it. Even aside from the extra expense, we hardly watch TV (maybe an hour or two per week), and I don't really miss it. Nor do I want it to become a regular routine.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    My SO was mentioning how maybe she'd like to upgrade our cable so she can watch her favorite shows. To be honest I'm not really keen on it. Even aside from the extra expense, we hardly watch TV (maybe an hour or two per week), and I don't really miss it. Nor do I want it to become a regular routine.
    A lot of the shows can be seen on Hulu anyways. Don't feel its worth the expense.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I had basic tv until my SO moved in with me, now we have extra sports packages, extended cable, etc...but now that he is law school he has much less time for TV and lots of the sports now have online subscription packages, so maybe we can cut back soon! In grad school I had 13 channels on my TV that was never on!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    A lot of the shows can be seen on Hulu anyways. Don't feel its worth the expense.
    Hulu, netflix, and redbox is all I would need.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    You will not take away ESPN from me over my cold..dead..hands...
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm too much of a sports fanatic to go without my large cable package.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm not comfortable with all these package comparisons.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I really just like the expanded cable package on those weekends when I just want to lounge around and watch bad tv. Other than that we probably use 5 channels. I don't like the fact that our basic or limited package doesn't include TBS. Sometimes I want to watch Die Hard six times in a row and not having that option is a bummer.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    I really just like the expanded cable package on those weekends when I just want to lounge around and watch bad tv. Other than that we probably use 5 channels. I don't like the fact that our basic or limited package doesn't include TBS. Sometimes I want to watch Die Hard six times in a row and not having that option is a bummer.
    Hopefully at some point we'll see the industry forced to offer cable channels a'la carte, and only when we want it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I went 2 years plus without cable, but it was easy because a) I was able to still see my local baseball team over-the air and b) I could go over to my grandmother-n-law's house, a sports nut, and have a bottle of wine and watch the games with her (and get a dinner out of it while my wife worked). Moving into an entirely different TV market (SB-SLO-Ventura ) I am stuck with a) one over the air channel that i can receive because the hills and mountains are not very conducive to TV signals (NBC) with the other networks based out of somewhere else in the area (ABC is out of ventura, CBS/FOX out of SB) so yea, i ponied up for satellite.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    You will not take away ESPN from me over my cold..dead..hands...
    Do you live in my apartment?

Random planner fun yesterday-got to go to the local arboretum and go on plant tour. It rained softly all yesterday so all the plants had these pretty water droplets all over them. I couldn't help myself from taking lots of pictures!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Maister must be away from his desk, otherwise this cable/ESPN discussion would have been split off by now...

I have no tv at my apartment and I don't miss it but winta's comin' so Redbox will be my friend...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I really just like the expanded cable package on those weekends when I just want to lounge around and watch bad tv...
    Regarding bad cable television - I watched a few hours of Alaska State Troopers on NatGeo over the course of the weekend and have come to the conclusion that everybody in Alaska who is not a cop is drunk 24/7 and are always carrying multiple high-powered firearms (usually with one in the chamber). I know we have some Alaskans and former Alaskans in our Cyburbian ranks. Maybe they can put down the bottle and let me know how close I am in my assumption.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Maister must be away from his desk, otherwise this cable/ESPN discussion would have been split off by now...
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO7

Two staff reports due tomorrow, what can I say. Sheesh
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO7

Two staff reports due tomorrow, what can I say. Sheesh
    snicker

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Only have basic cable and HD channels.-still bundled with land line phone and internet.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It isn't the size of the package that matters, it's how you use it.

We just have the basic cable package. Which sucks because basically my 25 channels are the same five channels three times, a couple sports channels, two home shopping shows, two cooking channels, three different PBS channels (which is okay, actually) and the local access channel. I am peeved my basic cable dropped TBS this week and didn't provide me with another channel. Same price. Fewer choices.

I would be happy if my cable package was the major networks, TBS, TNT. Comedy Central, AMC and Discovery. Throw in Animal Planet and the History Channel, for lagnaippe.

We watch "30 Rock", "Grimm", "Dateline", "The Big Bang Theory" and "SNL." Sometimes some "Simpsons" and "Family Guy." Other than that is it usually Hulu and Netflix.
    Last edited by otterpop; 10 Oct 2012 at 2:44 PM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've never had a cable bill in my life.

My parent's never got cable until they moved to the burbs and I was out of the house by then.

I currently get 30 channels with my rabbit ears and HDTV. I miss out on some games, but there is always the bar if I want to watch them. I guy's gotta eat anyways, right?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2002

Good things come in small packages

No cable, no satellite, no TV. Bars are for watching sports, netflix for anything else over the computer.

Registered
    May 2005
    My package is VERY large.

over 400 channels

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Our 'cable' package is called Hulu.

I view cable as a horrible waste of money to allow advertisers to try to get us to buy stuff that we don't really need, or even want.

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    No cable, no satellite, no TV. Bars are for watching sports, netflix for anything else over the computer.
    Much rather watch sports in a bar (Buffalo Wild Wings now within walking distance to my house!!!!) than at home any day. We bring the kids, get some wings, and watch the game. Or get a baby sitter for the kids...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We've got the digital preferred package, mostly to get HD sports. We don't watch that many channels. We don't get HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

I gotta wonder: who watches the "Pentagon Channel"? The "Church Channel"? The "Jewelry Channel"?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    who watches the "Pentagon Channel"?
    The Pentagon Channel? Never heard of it before, but it sounds potentially interesting. What kind of programming do they have?

On a semi-related note, has anyone ever watched one of those 20-30 minute long 'commercials' produced by/for weapons manufacturers presumably intended to get DoD contracts?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I tagged and bagged my movie channels. Why pay $45 for the same movies all month when I can stream Netflix for $7.99 and get newer movies for a buck twenty from Redbox! If AMC were on the basic package, that's all I'd have!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Relocation package
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Jul 2008, 8:36 AM