Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tell us about your package: let the comparisons begin

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Our cable company is our internet provider. We don't really have a viable alternative at this point unfortunately. I want to kick em in the shins sometimes. They have broken up internet packages based on mbps and data consumption per month to combat their internet entertainment competition. It is total BS.

We have a 25 mbps/300 gig per month package that is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced when it is not on special. Our special price ends in 30 days or so and we will be forced to either downgrade or pay an enormous amount.

Currently, we are near capacity on our monthly data consumption because all we watch is netflix or other online entertainment sources, like vuduu. If we downgrade, we will likely end up going over our data limits and end up having to pay huge fees anyway, so we don't really have a choice but to pay for the more expensive package.

Not sure what to do, but we are looking into satellite providers. Crossing fingers.
    Occupy Your Brain!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm an advocate for metering cable TV use like electricity. Make every channel available to everyone but only pay for what you use.
    Seems simple to me--but that's the kinda guy I am.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I'm an advocate for metering cable TV use like electricity. Make every channel available to everyone but only pay for what you use.
    Best. Idea. Ever.

Make it happen RJ!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Here, here-great idea. My cable is packaged with my high-speed internet. I use the internet far more than the TV.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Our 'cable' package is called Hulu.

I view cable as a horrible waste of money to allow advertisers to try to get us to buy stuff that we don't really need, or even want.

Much rather watch sports in a bar (Buffalo Wild Wings now within walking distance to my house!!!!) than at home any day. We bring the kids, get some wings, and watch the game. Or get a baby sitter for the kids...
    Of course I'd rather watch sports in a bar any day of the week. However, if I watched all the sporting events that I watch at the bar, I would be a broke, fat, drunken, slob. It's actually cheaper and more healthy for me to pay for a massive sports package and watch at home than go the bar.

Maybe I have a "sports" problem.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Of course I'd rather watch sports in a bar any day of the week. However, if I watched all the sporting events that I watch at the bar, I would be a broke, fat, drunken, slob. It's actually cheaper and more healthy for me to pay for a massive sports package and watch at home than go the bar.

Maybe I have a "sports" problem.
    I think I have a sports problem as well. I think we need to find a support group.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have actually been considering getting cable, I can get hockey on CBC (local channel) but now hockey is probably done for the season so I considered getting cable but after the Tigers last evening, I think I will just stick with the local channels.
    I did work in one county where you had to have satelite to get any tv at all but after looking at the dishs in everyones front yard along with the obligatory car with no wheels up on cement blocks, I stuck with the radio and tv at one of the local bars. I also learned that one of the local dogs who had learned that when a team scored and and every one cheered (if you were sitting at a table next to him you were expected to high five your hand to his paw) That was more fun than watching tv at home by myself. I do miss that group and that area but they were not really "planning: oriented but they did tolerate me and the locals did let me sit at the table with them rather than sit at the bar, They even tolerated that I did not and still do not drink alcohol. However there was a lot of good natured kidding but even with buying a round perodically it was still cheaper than cable and a heck of a lot more fun

Registered
    May 2004
    Somehow i thought this was going to be more like the describe your last "trip" using a movie title thread.

anyways, I have no package

I don't watch much tv and we get basic basic cable somehow without paying for it so I'm cool with that. I miss the sports but that's just a good reason to hit up the bars on Monday night! (or tuesday through sunday night depending on the game).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Relocation package
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Jul 2008, 9:36 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Mar 2008, 1:02 PM
  3. Lot coverage ratio comparisons
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 23