Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can't decide on an undergraduate degree. Need advice.

Can't decide on an undergraduate degree. Need advice.

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so sorry if this post is a bit messy.

I want to get into the field of urban planning, however, I'm having trouble deciding which undergraduate degree is most suitable for a planning career. I've looked through old threads to get a general idea of what other people have studied and have based my choices (see below) on what they've suggested. So what I'm asking is which course do you think is best and will allow me to get a Masters in urban planning and also help my career later on?

These are the courses that are available:

B Planning at UNSW - 5years (I'm fairly interested in this but I'll be 20 when i start and i don't really want to spend 5 years getting a degree)
    B Political, Economic and Social Sciences at Syd uni - 3 years (although i might not get accepted into this because of the cut-off marks)
    B Landscape Architecture at UNSW - 4 years
    B Environment at Macquarie uni - 3 years
    B Social Research and Policy at UNSW - 3 years
    B Liberal Arts and Science at Syd uni - 3 years
    B Urban and Regional Planning at uni of new england- 4 years

Thanks for your help!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Is there any particular area of planning that interests you currently? I'd major in something related to that over a planning degree. If you're already set on going for a masters, I think you'd learn more if you went with a non-planning major in undergrad since there will be less overlap.

If you can't make up your mind or want a more generalist major, I think geography is your best bet. You'll get a smattering of physical and social sciences, plus you'll learn GIS.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    If you can't make up your mind or want a more generalist major, I think geography is your best bet. You'll get a smattering of physical and social sciences, plus you'll learn GIS.
    In another thread with the similar question and response - I will respond with my same answer - I seconded that.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012
    Most likely, you'll need to get a masters eventually. I'd suggest, therefore, you use your undergraduate time to major in something that is related (and interesting to you) but not too redundant. Another thought would be to major in something that allows you the flexibility to change your mind if you decide to head down a different career path - economics, for example. Masters programs take people from all different backgrounds - I think we had two people with an urban studies undergraduate major in my program - everyone else ran the gamut: sociology, economics, architecture, environmental science, math, political science, etc.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    I majored in Sociology and minored in City Planning. Honestly just pick what's more interesting to you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    About 45 minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Lousiana
    I would do landscape architecture, simply because you'll be taken more seriously if you do any sort of design work later on. It really doesn't matter though. Learn some GIS, too.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 May 2010, 1:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Dec 2009, 10:23 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Sep 2009, 7:56 AM
  4. Undergraduate Degree and Career Prospects
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Jul 2006, 10:52 AM