Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GIS projects for final interview

Registered
    Aug 2007

GIS projects for final interview

So I had a phone interview and now have been asked for an in-person interview. One of the things they are asking for is an example of some of my GIS projects. Should I bring just copies of my maps and explain how I created them? Attribute tables? A CD or flash drive of a map project with all of the associated files? Something else I am not thinking of? Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I suspect they will look for two things in the work:
    1) the complexity of the project, which is an indicator of the strength of your GIS capabilities as well as your ability to develop a methodology for solving a problem; and
    2) the quality of your presentation, meaning how well does it communicate the important information, is it easily readable, and is it visually appealing.

That said, you will want to use the best format available. I would not send all of the files, as the people evaluating the work may not have GIS capabilities and probably won't want to load it all anyway. One option may be to put together a Powerpoint or PDF that talks about 3-5 projects, shows the output, and explains (with short bullets and images) how you constructed the analysis.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Ideally that would be something you should have clarified when they asked you to provide them. I'm sure a printout of the maps would suffice. They aren't trying to recreate it so they don't need any data. Like the above poster said, they just want to see how you can organize spatial data.
    "The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them." - Paul Hawken

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Kingmak View post
    Ideally that would be something you should have clarified when they asked you to provide them.
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    That said, you will want to use the best format available. . One option may be to put together a Powerpoint or PDF that talks about 3-5 projects, shows the output, and explains (with short bullets and images) how you constructed the analysis.
    I think Cardinal has the solution. Depending on the organization, you may want to avoid Death by PowerPoint and use something else like Prezi or the Mac one and output into Flash. That will put you well ahead of the pack. An audio timed to the auto-advance feature will do even more for you.

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    All good ideas, thank you everyone. I was asked to bring GIS examples in an email after I had already talked with the director. I think I will go down the route of a presentation with examples of how I took a variety of data and created a readable map. Thank you again for the input!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The final countdown
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Nov 2012, 12:18 PM
  2. Your final words
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Aug 2010, 9:12 PM
  3. Final decisions?
    Student Commons