Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some thoughts on Appalachia

Registered
    Apr 2013

learning about Appalachia as a culture

Linda_D, any book or source suggestions for a novice approaching Appalachia as a culture? I'm no historian, but I'm curious and would like to understand where I live and work better.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    Linda_D, any book or source suggestions for a novice approaching Appalachia as a culture? I'm no historian, but I'm curious and would like to understand where I live and work better.
    Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer describes the Scotch-Irish immigration that landed in Appalachia, and compares it in detail to other early immigration groups.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Feds consider the Southern Tier of NY as part of Appalachia. Map. My county is part of the Appalachian Regional Commission. They've funded a number of rural economic development projects in this region.

If you were to ask a layperson in my city if we were part of Appalachia they would most likely laugh at you.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer describes the Scotch-Irish immigration that landed in Appalachia, and compares it in detail to other early immigration groups.
    Thanks! Just went on my wishlist!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    Thanks! Just went on my wishlist!
    And there is always Nights Come to the Cumberlands. Keep in touch. I have been there. I share your pain.

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    And there is always Nights Come to the Cumberlands. Keep in touch. I have been there. I share your pain.
    Just realized the author of that one was a small-town lawyer and has a second book about practicing law in Appalachia. Both now also on my list.

You have all (especially Linda_D) piqued my curiosity in the history and culture of this region. Just ordered a book on the State of Franklin, and spent way too much time tinkering through as much of the history of Johnson County as I could find online.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Your thoughts on fur
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Nov 2012, 10:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2009, 4:31 PM
  3. Thoughts on NYU RE
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6