Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible new forum: A Safe Space for Planners

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here's what I'm thinking now:

* SS4P openly promoted. It's not a secret forum or club. However, it's not visible to search engines or those without access.

* Qualifications for read/post access: 100 posts, planning or allied professional.(working, unemployed, retired). Less on a case-by-case basis. No pay-to-play; Cyburbian Plus members also need 100+ posts for access. Access is by user request.

* All those with SS4P access must be willing to reveal their real world identity, just like on a listserv, which will appear in a sticky post in the forum. The list won't be visible to those without access. It's not fair if some are talking about projects they might be working on, with personally identifiable information, while some reading can remain semi-anonymous.

* Basic rules:
    - No snark on other Cyburbia members, or other individual planners. Discussion about private planning firms is fine.
    - If a post doesn't need to be in the SS4P (nothing confidential, revealing, etc), it must be made in a public forum. We don't want to see all of Cyburbia's content move to areas where search engines can't find it.
    - No "outing" of SS4P content or user identities in public forums.
    - No NSFW content, unless it's related to discussion of an SOB.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Here's what I'm thinking now:

* SS4P openly promoted. It's not a secret forum or club. However, it's not visible to search engines or those without access.

* Qualifications for read/post access: 100 posts, planning or allied professional.(working, unemployed, retired). Less on a case-by-case basis. No pay-to-play; Cyburbian Plus members also need 100+ posts for access. Access is by user request.

* All those with SS4P access must be willing to reveal their real world identity, just like on a listserv, which will appear in a sticky post in the forum. The list won't be visible to those without access. It's not fair if some are talking about projects they might be working on, with personally identifiable information, while some reading can remain semi-anonymous.

* Basic rules:
    - No snark on other Cyburbia members, or other individual planners. Discussion about private planning firms is fine.
    - If a post doesn't need to be in the SS4P (nothing confidential, revealing, etc), it must be made in a public forum. We don't want to see all of Cyburbia's content move to areas where search engines can't find it.
    - No "outing" of SS4P content or user identities in public forums.
    - No NSFW content, unless it's related to discussion of an SOB.
    Sounds good Dan.

It almost could double as a sort of mini-Linkedin for those of us on the forums.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Think I'll go with it.

The other thing: remove pay-to-play for Confidential Career Issues, with access under a similar policy.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Okay, I need a guinea pig. A user with 100+ posts, who is NOT a Cyburbian Plus member.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Okay, I need a guinea pig. A user with 100+ posts, who is NOT a Cyburbian Plus member.
    If there's a door prize, delete me as a Plus member.

"RJ, come on down. You've. Just. Won...an all-expenses paid three-week trip to the Bahamas!!!

I can dream.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    RJ: I closed off access to SS4P for Cyburbian Plus members, but added you to a group that can see it. Does it work?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    RJ: I closed off access to SS4P for Cyburbian Plus members, but added you to a group that can see it. Does it work?
    I'll do anything to help. Send that BMW to my house. A convertible would be nice.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I'll do anything to help. Send that BMW to my house. A convertible would be nice.
    One subscription to Bowel Movement Weekly: The Journal of the American Laxative Association coming your way!

(It's the only BMW I can afford)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Seriously, I want to test usergroup permissions, so if there's anybody with 100+ posts, let me know here.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm willing to be a test subject. Chalk me up as an unemployed (never able to break in at the entry level).

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The pea green thread? I have access.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'm willing to be a test subject. Chalk me up as an unemployed (never able to break in at the entry level).
    Added. It'll be pea green, as RJ described.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I'll try it. I have nothing to lose. But I have no idea what SS4P is.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Sign me up.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I can be a guinea pig (or any other type of lab rodent), if you need the help.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    mike, dw914er, chupacabra - in, in, in.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 18 Feb 2014, 2:56 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Nov 2006, 9:22 PM