Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: First Planning Director / Manager Job

Registered
    Dec 2010

First Planning Director / Manager Job

Hi there,

I have Bachelor degree in Planning and coming up 5 years of planning experience. My experience is roughly 50/50 private practice and muncipal planning. I have a graduate certificate in project management and am also studying for my Masters degree in Planning part-time by distance (I only have to complete the thesis given my undergrad degree). I see obtaining my Masters as a way to gain competitiveness for any future career opportunities.

Anyway, the rural municipality I current work for are considering promoting me to Planning Manager / Director. This would be a new position. My boss is retiring, and does a bit of planning and everything else. The municipality is pretty small so I would have one junior planner reporting to me, with the opportunity to work across both strategic and current planning. I'm aware I'd alot more exposed to the political side of planning. It seems like a great opportunity for me. If I worked for a city muncipality I think an opportunity like this could be a long time coming.

Just wondering what impact this opportunity would have on my future career development, especially if I want to move back to city planning at some point. I think this title could open alot of doors for me.

Also, any suggestions for pit falls to avoid for first time planning managers / directors?

Thanks for your advice!!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    don't turn it down!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by toomanyclowns View post
    Hi there,

Also, any suggestions for pit falls to avoid for first time planning managers / directors?

Thanks for your advice!!
    Take it. Treat everyone fairly, don't play favorites, it's not your little fiefdom, and once you go down the heavily-into-politics path, it is hard to step off and turn around.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Jan 2014, 4:42 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Jul 2010, 9:50 AM
  3. Getting that first Planning Director job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 May 2008, 5:04 PM
  4. How can I became a planning director?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 05 Apr 2006, 10:17 AM