Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: I have been offered a job!

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    928

    I have been offered a job!

    I graduated in December 2011 with a undergrad degree's in Community and Regional Planning as well as GIS.

    Been on a few interviews, most recent was 2 months ago. Yesterday I received a call about the most recent interview and was offered the position today. Yesterday was the first contact I had received from them since the interview, so I am not sure if the delay is typical or not? It doesn't seem like they extended the position to anyone else since the interview though.

    Anyways, I am a little hesitant because it is for County Planner, as in, the ONLY county planner. My real world planning experience is limited to a 3 month internship. I would be responsible for everything, including code enforcement, site plan review, grants, etc. I am a little worried that I am in over my head just a bit. I suppose that if I was extended the offer, they feel that I will be a good fit though. The county is rural and the population is below 30k. There is county wide zoning, but 99% of it is purely residential.

    I wanted to get some opinions from a few more experienced planners and see what you guys think. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian stroskey's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    the delta
    Posts
    1,199
    Sometimes the unpleasant thing like code enforcement give you a lot of experience in working with various people. Also, being the only planner you will learn about various aspects of government a lot more than a planner that is pigeon-holed doing one thing, like GIS. If you don't mind, what does the gig pay? I ask because you need a job but don't want to be stuck starting in a super-low wage as that will have long-lasting effects on your salaries when you move up.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    928
    Don't want to put out a number, but its comfortable. It's more than what I believed I would get at an entry level job.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    America's Happiest City
    Posts
    4,903
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I graduated in December 2011 with a undergrad degree's in Community and Regional Planning as well as GIS.

    Been on a few interviews, most recent was 2 months ago. Yesterday I received a call about the most recent interview and was offered the position today. Yesterday was the first contact I had received from them since the interview, so I am not sure if the delay is typical or not? It doesn't seem like they extended the position to anyone else since the interview though.

    Anyways, I am a little hesitant because it is for County Planner, as in, the ONLY county planner. My real world planning experience is limited to a 3 month internship. I would be responsible for everything, including code enforcement, site plan review, grants, etc. I am a little worried that I am in over my head just a bit. I suppose that if I was extended the offer, they feel that I will be a good fit though. The county is rural and the population is below 30k. There is county wide zoning, but 99% of it is purely residential.

    I wanted to get some opinions from a few more experienced planners and see what you guys think. Thanks!
    Take it if you want a start in planning. You aren't married with them. Get your knowledge, sacrifice 2-3 years than start looking for the better. If you pass this up, the no one can tell you when your next offer might be.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

  5. #5
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,721
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I graduated in December 2011 with a undergrad degree's in Community and Regional Planning as well as GIS.

    Been on a few interviews, most recent was 2 months ago. Yesterday I received a call about the most recent interview and was offered the position today. Yesterday was the first contact I had received from them since the interview, so I am not sure if the delay is typical or not? It doesn't seem like they extended the position to anyone else since the interview though.

    Anyways, I am a little hesitant because it is for County Planner, as in, the ONLY county planner. My real world planning experience is limited to a 3 month internship. I would be responsible for everything, including code enforcement, site plan review, grants, etc. I am a little worried that I am in over my head just a bit. I suppose that if I was extended the offer, they feel that I will be a good fit though. The county is rural and the population is below 30k. There is county wide zoning, but 99% of it is purely residential.

    I wanted to get some opinions from a few more experienced planners and see what you guys think. Thanks!
    In this economy.... take the job. If they believe you can do it... you can do it. Learn on the job and take advantage of all the opportunities that it presents for you.

    Congrats!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  6. #6
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Take the job! Sometimes experience doesn't trump everything else.

    You'll learn lots and it will open doors down the road.

    Plus, when you're in a pinch or need advice, you can always come to Cyburbia and we'll help you through it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  7. #7
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,278
    Take it. You know more than you realize. And I encourage planners to do a little time in code enforcement--it gives you better perspective when writing policies. You'll be drinking from the fire hose, but you'll be fine. My first job was like that, and I believe it was a big reason for my accelerated career advancement. My advice: get to be friends with the planners in nearby jurisdictions and maybe see if one of them can serve as a bit of a mentor.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,837
    Take the job. Look at this way, you got offered a planning job in this economy. There are those who would give body parts for this opportunity. My first PD job was in a small place in BFE. I learned a lot about planning in an environment where there wasn't a whole lot of pressure. This experience paid off in spades later on and provided excellent resume fodder.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,445
    go for it - you can start a thread in here just to get advice on a daily basis from the throbbing county planners in here - I am a trench planner at the local level so I will be the one making fun of you

    but seriously - do it

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,655
    Good Luck! I assume you will be in NC? There are already a hand full of us on this forum that could be helpful to you. Myself, Beach_bum, and Planit among other lurkers.
    @GigCityPlanner

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,026
    Congrats! Give me a shout if you have any questions.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  12. #12
    Take it! and congrats!
    The content contrarian

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Trail Nazi's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Encroaching on something
    Posts
    2,713
    Take the job! You'll do great!

  14. #14
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Good Luck! I assume you will be in NC? There are already a hand full of us on this forum that could be helpful to you. Myself, Beach_bum, and Planit among other lurkers.
    You have a ready-made support group. And, if in NC, get to know the folks with the Institute of Government. Without them I could not have survived my eight years in the tarheel state.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Good Luck! I assume you will be in NC? There are already a hand full of us on this forum that could be helpful to you. Myself, Beach_bum, and Planit among other lurkers.
    Yes, job is in NC. Thanks for the support everyone!

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Linda_D's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Jamestown, New York
    Posts
    1,674
    Take the job and congrats!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,655
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    You have a ready-made support group. And, if in NC, get to know the folks with the Institute of Government. Without them I could not have survived my eight years in the tarheel state.
    I don't know if that's been renamed the School of Government (through UNC) but they are awesome - and join the NC Planning ListServe as soon as possible, tons of similar topics being discussed by planners around the state and their solutions.
    @GigCityPlanner

  18. #18
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,391
    This should be a no-brainer. Why are you asking us if you should accept a job offer?
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian dw914er's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Take it. You know more than you realize. And I encourage planners to do a little time in code enforcement--it gives you better perspective when writing policies. You'll be drinking from the fire hose, but you'll be fine. My first job was like that, and I believe it was a big reason for my accelerated career advancement. My advice: get to be friends with the planners in nearby jurisdictions and maybe see if one of them can serve as a bit of a mentor.
    Take the job, and I recommend SR's advice as well. Goodluck and congrats! Many young hopefuls would be excited to be in your place.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

  20. #20
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,660
    Jumping in late... but take the job! Congrats and Cyburbia is a great resource if you need to vent or need some help on a tough planning issue. As others have said there are quite a few NC Cyburbians. If they think you can do it, you can do it. It may be tough at times but you will have an awesome resume for later on down the road.

    Also take a look at old staff reports, etc. when you start. It should give you a good idea of what you will be dealing with. Congrats and good luck!

  21. #21
    Cyburbian beach_bum's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the old north state
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Yes, job is in NC. Thanks for the support everyone!
    CONGRATS! North Carolina is a growing state, there are opportunites to move around and up with a little experience. Make sure to subscribe to the NC Plan list serve and come out to chapter and regional events, we are an involved bunch here!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

  22. #22
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I graduated in December 2011 with a undergrad degree's in Community and Regional Planning as well as GIS.

    Been on a few interviews, most recent was 2 months ago. Yesterday I received a call about the most recent interview and was offered the position today. Yesterday was the first contact I had received from them since the interview, so I am not sure if the delay is typical or not? It doesn't seem like they extended the position to anyone else since the interview though.

    Anyways, I am a little hesitant because it is for County Planner, as in, the ONLY county planner. My real world planning experience is limited to a 3 month internship. I would be responsible for everything, including code enforcement, site plan review, grants, etc. I am a little worried that I am in over my head just a bit. I suppose that if I was extended the offer, they feel that I will be a good fit though. The county is rural and the population is below 30k. There is county wide zoning, but 99% of it is purely residential.

    I wanted to get some opinions from a few more experienced planners and see what you guys think. Thanks!


    Are you kidding me? Take it. There are plenty of people who have Master's degrees and a lot more than just a single 3 month long internship who can't find work anywhere.

  23. #23
    Cyburbian HomerJ's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I'm gettin' there
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Anyways, I am a little hesitant because it is for County Planner, as in, the ONLY county planner. My real world planning experience is limited to a 3 month internship. I would be responsible for everything, including code enforcement, site plan review, grants, etc. I am a little worried that I am in over my head just a bit.
    That is exactly what is going to make the job valuable for you down the road. Believe me, if you are young and trying to prove your worth, be happy you have a job that sounds tough. It's probably going to thicken your skin and give you a crash course on the realities of the profession (and there are a lot of people in planning positions right now who could use a little experience doing something like code enforcement). Just remember, with planning experience is the key to being taken seriously as a professional, so the first couple years are tough for everyone. As others have already indicated, find people with experience and reach out when you think you are in over your head.

    Oh, and congrats! Go celebrate!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

  24. #24
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    928
    Thanks again guys!

    However, I am in a bit of a bind now, and could use some more advice! They want an answer on Monday. The start date is about 2 and a half weeks from now. Problem is I cannot find anywhere to live. There are no real apartment complex's (all of them are senior living). The rental home market is non-existent besides homes designed for vacation rentals (not long term), or the rents are sky high (1,200+). I am not in a financial position to stay in a hotel until something pops up, and I am also not in a position to buy a home. The commute would be close to 3 hours, so that is not something I can realistically make each day.

    I really want to take the job, but I am not comfortable giving an answer on Monday if I have no idea where I would live. How do I voice these concerns without losing the opportunity? I will admit, during the interview I was asked how soon I could start, and I did ask about the rental market. I was told that I could easily find a good home for a fair rental price so I said 2 weeks.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    4,762

    Take it, take it, take it

    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Thanks again guys!

    However, I am in a bit of a bind now, and could use some more advice! They want an answer on Monday. The start date is about 2 and a half weeks from now. Problem is I cannot find anywhere to live. There are no real apartment complex's (all of them are senior living). The rental home market is non-existent besides homes designed for vacation rentals (not long term), or the rents are sky high (1,200+). I am not in a financial position to stay in a hotel until something pops up, and I am also not in a position to buy a home. The commute would be close to 3 hours, so that is not something I can realistically make each day.

    I really want to take the job, but I am not comfortable giving an answer on Monday if I have no idea where I would live. How do I voice these concerns without losing the opportunity? I will admit, during the interview I was asked how soon I could start, and I did ask about the rental market. I was told that I could easily find a good home for a fair rental price so I said 2 weeks.
    Take the job, and mention your housing concerns at that time, tell them that you'd appreciate any leads. Once you get there, it's likely that the local paper will find you, and you can mention the dilemma then.

    You can put most of your stuff into storage while you look. I am guessing that any motel would rent to you on a weekly basis. You could return "home" on Fridays, come back on Sundays, and the motel would still land their big bucks weekend rates.

    Once you arrive, scrub the grocery store bulletin boards for a home share or MIL place. (We brought in a new minister at my church, and he stayed in the upstairs flat of the senior minister's house.)

    It's in NC, right? Trailer MH park? FEMA camper?

    Relocating will be a concern no matter what post-grad job you land. Don't think about buying a place, as you are just getting started.

    "Live close to work" has always been my mantra.

    HTH

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Feb 2009, 10:57 AM
  2. No benefits offered? What does one do?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 9:22 PM