Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I have been offered a job!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Agreed. Tell them yes and say you have a concern about finding a place to live that is reasonably close and affordable with the salary they will provide. Ask for help - any leads they may have. There are often many properties that do not get listed in craigslist or in the local paper. When you get to town, be sure to walk the downtown and look for rental signs. You might also consider looking in neighboring communities, although that has some negatives with it. In the meantime, perhaps you can rent one of those vacation properties as it is off-season, and maybe get a good deal on it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Agreed. Tell them yes and say you have a concern about finding a place to live that is reasonably close and affordable with the salary they will provide. Ask for help - any leads they may have. There are often many properties that do not get listed in craigslist or in the local paper. When you get to town, be sure to walk the downtown and look for rental signs. You might also consider looking in neighboring communities, although that has some negatives with it. In the meantime, perhaps you can rent one of those vacation properties as it is off-season, and maybe get a good deal on it.
    I private messaged him. From the sounds of it it looks like he landed a job in the outer banks somewhere like Nags Head where there is really no affordable options on the barrier islands and the commute to the island from the main land is quite a distance. I offered to help with my local knowledge but haven't heard back.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Thanks again guys!

However, I am in a bit of a bind now, and could use some more advice! They want an answer on Monday. The start date is about 2 and a half weeks from now. Problem is I cannot find anywhere to live. There are no real apartment complex's (all of them are senior living). The rental home market is non-existent besides homes designed for vacation rentals (not long term), or the rents are sky high (1,200+). I am not in a financial position to stay in a hotel until something pops up, and I am also not in a position to buy a home. The commute would be close to 3 hours, so that is not something I can realistically make each day.

I really want to take the job, but I am not comfortable giving an answer on Monday if I have no idea where I would live. How do I voice these concerns without losing the opportunity? I will admit, during the interview I was asked how soon I could start, and I did ask about the rental market. I was told that I could easily find a good home for a fair rental price so I said 2 weeks.
    Definitely let your employer know this is an issue, my employer did help give me some leads on places when I was new to the area. You might end up renting a room in someone's house for a while until you can get more familiar with the area or marry rich!
    Last edited by beach_bum; 22 Oct 2012 at 10:22 AM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 1998
    A planner refused my job offer in small town Carolina. Later she told me it was because she could not a day care center. There were several, just not advertised. I could have helped if she would have asked. Someone renting an in-law apartment doesn't advertise, it is word of mouth.
    Last edited by mike gurnee; 22 Oct 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: speling

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I private messaged him. From the sounds of it it looks like he landed a job in the outer banks somewhere like Nags Head where there is really no affordable options on the barrier islands and the commute to the island from the main land is quite a distance. I offered to help with my local knowledge but haven't heard back.
    I sent him a message as well. The Outer Banks area was my first thought too and I have a friend who moved down there to work with a planning organization right out of graduate school a couple of years ago that might be able to point him in the right direction for affordable housing for a new-hire.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Craigslist, etc.

Gosh, without knowing anything about the area, I found several listings on CL that would seem feasible. (large room, furnished winter rental, rooms for rent, house for share but no drama or drugs)

One thing I did while roaming the career options was to sign a lease for a bigger place, then rent rooms to others who were less stable. This meant that, rather than having someone allow me to rent a spare room, I got to do the choosing.

A friend recently got divorced, and while separated he moved to an upstairs flat in the small town where his job is, "above the tattoo parlor." He's saving money on commuting costs, and drives on weekends to visit his son and hang out in the big city. Could go the other way as well.

Options abound if you think outside the (apartment complex) box!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Ah my fault. Did not see the notification's there. Wish there was some sort of pop-up or email when you receive a private message.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    One of the things age gives you (besides gray hair and sore knees) is the realization that simply asking gets you far. My phrase is 'you never know 'til you ask'.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    removed response

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Outer Banks were a favorite of mine when I was stationed in Virginia back in the late 80's. I have been thinking about getting back there sometime soon. Maybe I will do a trip down along the coast after the start of the year.

Anyway, I would think a vacation rental would be doable for the next six months, but yes, I can see where the summer months may be more challenging. Of course, you would have six months to look around.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Just wanted to post an update.

Found a great house within walking distance of the County Office. I will begin the move in process on the 31st and begin work on Nov. 1.

Thanks for all the support. Very excited about this opportunity!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Feb 2009, 10:57 AM
  2. No benefits offered? What does one do?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 9:22 PM