Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The daylight savings time change - how do you deal?

Registered
    Feb 2004

The daylight savings time change - how do you deal?

So this weekend we went to FALL BACK. Which means we gained one more hour this weekend. What did you do with the extra hour? Did you sleep a little longer? Did you just stay up an hour later bingeing on Game of Thrones? What do you generally do with the seasonal time change and how much/long would you estimate it takes to entirely adapt your internal chronometer to the change? What psychological impacts do you typically associate with the change?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Usually it doesn't really affect my sleeping but yesterday morning I woke up at 4:30 a.m. (which of course felt like 5:30 to me) and was wide awake so I decided to go for a longer than normal morning walk. In the afternoon I was starting to feel tired while watching the Lions game but it was really nice outside so I opened up the door to the patio and turned the TV volume up loud enough that I could hear it out there and went outside to do yard work. The fresh air and sunshine were great. However... I was ready for bed by about 9:00 last night.

This morning I was back to my normal workday wake up time of 5:00 a.m. and out for a run outside instead of going to the gym. I imagine my internal clock is back to normal already.

An added bonus of the time change was that our kindergartner was very easy to get out of bed this morning. Unfortunately, her internal clock will probably be back to normal tomorrow morning too.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I just got some extra sleep unlike my wife who forgot to change the time on her clock.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    FALL BACK wrecks me. It takes me about 3 days to get used to it. I have no trouble with the Spring time change.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I have kids...
    The difference between how you expect your life to be and how it really is determines your happiness. - Mo Gawdat

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No problemo.

Now the end of daylight savings in the Spring can be an issue for me.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    FALL BACK wrecks me. It takes me about 3 days to get used to it. I have no trouble with the Spring time change.
    And yet that is the time when time/sleep is being taken away. Guess the moral of the story is that we're much more used to pushing the envelope to get by with less sleep than rewarding ourselves with more.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Falling back doesn't seem to phase me, but springing forward really is awful. It takes me several days to adjust.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Falling back doesn't seem to phase me, but springing forward really is awful. It takes me several days to adjust.
    After daylight savings is over it's light a little earlier in the morning and I suppose that maybe is a small boost to getting one's day started, but driving home from work while the sun is setting leaves me with the feeling - dang, I LIVE at work. Is my whole life nothing but sleep and work? Why bother?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

time zone guru, where are you

I have a harder time with the spring time change than the fall - not sure what that means but in the spring, I feel jet lagged for a couple of weeks but the fall feels like it's reset to where it should be for my bio-rhythm, I guess (wow, did I just type that lol) - maybe I belong in a different time zone

It takes me a day or so, then I'm ok. The past couple of days I woke up at my normal time, which means I woke up an hour earlier. That will change probably tomorrow or Wednesday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    No issue really, other than it being dark really early and feeling bored in the evening or wanting to go to bed early. I did wake up really early on Sunday morning.

Other than that, it's not a problem for me and I feel like I'm better-adjusted for the fall/winter clock.

The spring adjustment can be a little rough with losing an hour, but it is balanced out by the fact that I feel like I have my evenings back and can be more social and not hibernate and the feeling that "spring/summer is just around the corner!" after having to deal with darkness and bitter cold for four months.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Falling back is easy, any inconvenience is offset by getting the "extra hour". Springing forward is more difficult, as the inconvenience is rubbed in by "losing an hour".

Registered
    May 2002
    I have no issues other than the "man, it's 5 and it's almost dark" thought. I just tell myself that after December 21st the days start getting longer again.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Usually the fall back isn't a problem, but this year I definately needed a couple of days to get over it.

Spring forward is never fun.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2002
    I have a new girlfriend and she spent the night Saturday. We woke up on Sunday and we were drinking coffee before I took her back to her car so that she could go get ready to work. I was looking at my phone and noticed that it said 7:15, not 8:15. I turned on ESPN and sure enough, 7:15. I said hay, the clock fell back and she said hey, let's go back to bed for an hour! She won my heart!
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I do fine with it. My kids, not so much. They were up at 4 am yesterday and 5 am today.

This is the first year that I actually had the kids over on Fall Back weekend. In the past, the ex has always had them, but she would also get Spring Forward weekend. Now, the calendar has flipped.

Not that it really matters now, because me kids are 18 and 16. It was nice to get the extra hour but it would have been so much more meaningful when they were younger.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Mar 2015, 12:26 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 2:44 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 7:14 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Apr 2005, 3:13 PM
  5. Time Travel & Daylight Savings Time
    Friday Afternoon Club