Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hink goes to NYC

Registered
    Jan 2005

Hink goes to NYC

New York City?! (said like those chili commercials). Yep. The Mrs. has never been so we are off in a couple months.

Please let me know where I should go over our 4 days. Restaurants, parks, secret places, Urban Planner niches, you name it.

I really thought we might have a thread such as this, but in researching New York City!? I couldn't find anything even similar.

We are going to be doing some touristy things, but I would like to do more... ummm interesting things than look at the Statue of Liberty.

I will continue to bump this thread until all ideas have run out.
    Last edited by Hink; 08 Jan 2013 at 4:21 PM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Walk the High Line: http://www.thehighline.org/

To bad the Cooper-Hewitt is temp.closed.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Buy the largest soft drinks you can find and walk up and down in front of city hall.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Get thrown out of the St. Patrick's during mass like I did!

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Buy the largest soft drinks you can find and walk up and down in front of city hall.
    Thats a good one! Smuggle in some Big Gulp cups and fill em with water, that would make him even more mad!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 09 Jan 2013 at 8:18 AM. Reason: seq. posts
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    New York City?! (said like those chili commercials). Yep. The Mrs. has never been so we are off in a couple months.

Please let me know where I should go over our 4 days. Restaurants, parks, secret places, Urban Planner niches, you name it.

I really thought we might have a thread such as this, but in researching New York City!? I couldn't find anything even similar.

We are going to be doing some touristy things, but I would like to do more... ummm interesting things than look at the Statue of Liberty.

I will continue to bump this thread until all ideas have run out.
    The Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey!

Which airport are you flying into...I can give you some pointers for transit/cost to and from the airports.

I'm sure you are well aware of all the tourist attractions so I won't bother naming them.

What kinds of things interest you? Visual and performing arts? Architecture? Food? Parks and open spaces? Shopping?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    The Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey!

Which airport are you flying into...I can give you some pointers for transit/cost to and from the airports.

I'm sure you are well aware of all the tourist attractions so I won't bother naming them.

What kinds of things interest you? Visual and performing arts? Architecture? Food? Parks and open spaces? Shopping?
    We are flying into LaGuardia. I was planning on taking the 60 to the subway station and taking the subway to midtown. Is there a better way?

Everything interests me. I don't think we are going to do all the museums as we just don't have enough time, and I don't want to spend 3 hours in a museum.... other stuff though I am all ears!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Are you taking the kids?

We went about three weeks before Sandy and had a great time--lots of off the beaten path stuff I can suggest (including planner-nerd stuff that Mrs. Hink will still love), but I really want to know if you are taking kids so I can adjust accordingly.

Also, do you have lodging? If not, I can recommend someone through HomeAway (we stayed in an apartment in Harlem, which was really cool in itself).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    Not a lot to offer here, but last time we went with the kids (well, we only had one at the time) we went to the Natural History Museum. Just amazing and guaranteed to excite the little ones. And you. It really is spectacular. I went there a number of times as a kid and I had as much fun as an adult if not more. I'm sure its on the Big List. just petitioning for it to make the cut.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post

Stick it to Bloomie!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I know you said no museums, but the Museum of Modern Art is amazing....all the great modern artist and their classic pieces. I saw the real Starry Night, Pollock...etc. You may want to check their website to see what exhibits are there during your visit. My BF is from NY and every time we go we have to go to Katz's Deli and get a real NY Bagel. Another recommendation is to see the 911 memorial. I read an article about it from the perspective of the LA that helped design it....pretty cool stuff.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Been to NYC so many times I can't count. Here's some off the beaten path areas I like.

Joe's Shanghai on Pell St in Chinatown is amazing, go for lunch and be prepared to share your table with 2 or 3 other parties. You must get the soup dumplings. (Hint: Nibble, and sip, if you bite you will die)
    Intersection of 5th and Braodway = Flatiron Building
    Bethesda Fountain - Central Park (Terrace Drive @ The Mall)
    Do the NYC Underground tour!
    Visit Grand Central Station and look at the ceiling and all the travelers, even if only for a minute.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We are flying into LaGuardia. I was planning on taking the 60 to the subway station and taking the subway to midtown. Is there a better way?

Everything interests me. I don't think we are going to do all the museums as we just don't have enough time, and I don't want to spend 3 hours in a museum.... other stuff though I am all ears!
    That's pretty much the best way. LGA has the worst public transit options. You are best off taking the M60 to Astoria Blvd and taking the N to midtown Manhattan if that's where you are staying. Buy the 7 day unlimited ride MetroCard, it's the best value.

Top two museum picks: Metropolitan Museum of Art (pay what you want, even a penny!) and MOMA (fixed price and a little more gouging, often there is a special exhibit surcharge).

Architectural highlights: Flatiron, Chrysler, Empire State Building (inside is great, but skip going to the top and head over to Rockefeller Center and do the Top of the Rock there-it's a couple bucks more but half the wait AND you can see the Empire State Building), Grand Central Station, stop by the Freedom Tower (World Trade Center site), Central Park, Cloisters is cool if you want to trek up to the 200's, Open House NY often has Friday architectural tours although their wonderful main event is in October-http://blog.ohny.org/, the High Line (limited hours due to storm damage).

Food picks: Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown, Murray's Cheese Shop on Bleecker Street, Grimaldi's Pizza under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side and if you can't get there go to Lombardi's on Spring Street, Union Square Greenmarket or Chelsea Market.

Music/Performance Art: There's always so much going on in the city so hit up the search engine and see if there is something you are interested in, also the TKTS booth at Times Square sells discounted day of Broadway show tickets.

Have a great time!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Are you taking the kids?
    Nope. That is the main reason we are going... to get a way for a couple days.

It seems Joe's Shanghai is a consensus pick.... I will have to try to get there. Do they take reservations?

We are staying at the Sanctuary Hotel in midtown because we wanted to be closer to Broadway for the show we are seeing.

I have somewhat planned my trip around food, as I am a big foodie... we are hitting the Spotted Pig for lunch one day, Katz Deli or Carnigie Deli for lunch another day, and I have been told I need to try Shake Shack if I want to wait in line... we have Steak and Shake around these parts though, so I would imagine it is pretty similar just more expensive because Danny Meyer created it...

We are trying to get to see a late night show too... although I would guess those tickets are hard to come by. Jimmy Fallon seems likes the best bet. Although it would be nice to see Letterman as both the Mrs. and I got our undergraduate degrees from Ball State.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nope. That is the main reason we are going... to get a way for a couple days.

It seems Joe's Shanghai is a consensus pick.... I will have to try to get there. Do they take reservations?

We are staying at the Sanctuary Hotel in midtown because we wanted to be closer to Broadway for the show we are seeing.

I have somewhat planned my trip around food, as I am a big foodie... we are hitting the Spotted Pig for lunch one day, Katz Deli or Carnigie Deli for lunch another day, and I have been told I need to try Shake Shack if I want to wait in line... we have Steak and Shake around these parts though, so I would imagine it is pretty similar just more expensive because Danny Meyer created it...

We are trying to get to see a late night show too... although I would guess those tickets are hard to come by. Jimmy Fallon seems likes the best bet. Although it would be nice to see Letterman as both the Mrs. and I got our undergraduate degrees from Ball State.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!
    The delis are overrated and touristy, IMO. You're in NYC! Go to restaurants and cuisines you can't find at home. Now is your chance to try something different. One of the best parts of NYC is just wandering and happening upon things. The weather probably won't be nice enough but if you happen upon a street fair go to the Arepas place. YUM! If you make it to Brooklyn skip the pizza and head to Peter Luger's for lunch. Dinner is too expensive but you can get an inexpensive delicious burger for lunch.

Make sure to spend some time in the Village and the Lower East Side. You might want to check out the Tenement Museum. We haven't done it yet but I've heard good things.

If you go to the Met you can also go to The Cloisters. The Museum of the City of New York is supposed to be good too. I think MudPrincess went there recently.

I always like to stop in to the Scandinavia House. Free admission to their galleries and some cultural events.

Also keep your eye on The New Yorker - a good way of knowing what is available when you're in town.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No kids?!? Excellent!

We saw Jimmy Fallon and had an absolute blast at his show. Getting into Letterman was kind of a pain in the ass, so we skipped it. I'm not a huge Letterman fan anyway, although he is light years better than Leno. I wish Fallon was on in place of Leno, but I digress...

My top recommendation is BiketheBigApple. This is a group of bike tours and was hands-down the coolest thing we did in NYC. Talks about the history that you don't get at the touristy stuff, particularly the East Village & Alphabet City during the tenement era & immigration. Even if you're not an especially experienced cyclist, this is a good tour. And they include a meal from someplace local.

Skip Katz/Carnegie. Go take a picture there, and then go eat somewhere else at least 3-4 blocks away from Times Square. Food will be better and prices more reasonable. We had the best luck with food in the East Village and Greenwich Village. Also, folks that live in those areas are really good about giving recommendations. Also, be on the lookout for what locals often call a "Greek Diner." They are renowned for having cheap but good eats, and operate out of a kitchen roughly the size of your closet.

Please Don't Tell for drinks. This is a really cool, hip place in the East Village with an exclusively local crowd, and is extremely hard to get into. How hard? It took 125 phone calls between my brother and I to get a reservation. Reservations are easier mid-week, but that means it might only take 90 phone calls. It is located inside Criff Dogs in the East Village. You enter Please Don't Tell through a phone booth in the back, like an old school speakeasy. The drinks are incredible, but also pricey.

On that same line, stay out really late at least one night... I'm talking like 2am. We did that a couple of nights and I really just enjoyed walking around. It was warmer when we went though.

Go to the New York Public Library. They had an awesome exhibit when we were there on the history of lunch hour. Might've been the most interesting exhibit we saw on our trip. Been told that their exhibits are always incredible.

The Met is awesome of course, but recognize you can't see all of it. I suggest keeping this in your back pocket until the last day you are there, because it makes a good alternative activity if it is raining. There are several smaller museums near the Met that are not as popular, but really cool.

You're a planner, so you must see the High Line. When you walk down it, look for some of the funny stuff folks have put in their 2nd & 3rd floor windows.

Skip the Empire State Building. If you want to do something like that, do Top of the Rock. It is cheaper, less overrun with tourists, and you can take a really cool picture of the Empire State Building from there.

When we went the Statue of Liberty was still closed. However, what EVERYONE has told us is to skip the actual ferry stop there and simply take pictures from the ferry. They look better and the really interesting thing is Ellis Island anyway. Ellis Island is awesome--plan on a few hours there and either eat before the ferry or take something with you.

Ground Zero. This is a no brainer stop that I feel like people are obligated to see.

Central Park. We spent an entire day walking Central Park. My advice? Rent a bike. Your feet will thank you.

For shows, I recommend using TKTS Discount Booths. They have an iPhone app. They sell tickets the day of the show for as much as 40% off. Go to the South Street Seaport--it has the smallest crowd. For show recommendations, I recommend Once & Book of Mormon. Also, I highly recommend a lesser known show called Peter & the Starcatcher. It is a Peter Pan based musical/play, but it really fun for adults (we laughed a lot, and I don't laugh easily). Plus, you'll feel good supporting a friend of my family who is one of the producers for the show.

Skip SoHo. I could not have been more unimpressed. Loved the Greenwich & East Village shops far more.

Times Square at Night. You have to do it. And you have to laugh at the fact that there is an Olive Garden on Times Square. I mean seriously... who the f*** eats at an Olive Garden in NYC?!?

GreenMarket in Union Square. This is right close to the library. We got a lot of breakfast stuff here at this rather incredible farmers market.

I DO NOT recommend Chinatown. I found it really annoying & touristy. Then again, I've been to China so I might have been comparing against that experience.

For great Italian, I recommend heading over to the Bronx. A lot of the authentic Little Italy is now out there. We got some great latin food in Queens.

Get a 1-week subway pass and abuse the shit out of it. Also, there is a useful NYC subway iPhone app.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Just about whatever you decide to do, it will be great. Don't worry what you'll not see. It will be there on your next trip.

My faves:

MOMA - my brother said on the occasion of his first visit: this is like a textbook, everything is here!

The pedestrianization of Broadway from Herald to Time Squares

Eataly at Fifth/Broadway/23rd street - and you get a cool view of the Flatiron Building at the same time

A spot on Park Avenue at 53rd Street. You can see Lever House, the Seagram Building, and the (unfortunate MetLife Building). Then walk to Grand Central Terminal followed by the Chrysler Building.

If you only take one cab ride, arrange for it to go down Fifth Avenue from 59th Street to 42nd Street or 34th Street. Its a $20 tour of Fifth Avenue that's worth the price.

The Highline

Time Square at 11:00 PM on a Friday or Saturday night - the crowds!

The Guggenheim Museum. What will you design when you are approaching 90 years old that will compare?.

Uniqlo. The Japanese version of H&M. You'll have one in your town within the next decade. This way you can tell everyone you've been there. done that.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Take a lot of pictures of The High Line and be sure to report back on your findings. I don't really like NYC, too overwhelming for me (I prefer Chicago or Los Angeles for big cities) but I do want to see The High Line.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

I'm going lowbrow, since 'water seeks it's own level' and all that.

McSorley's is a fantastic place to have refreshing brews (order in twos) with ambiance unlike anywhere else you've ever been or likely ever will go. On East Seventh Street (not Avenue) near Cooper-Union.

Chumley's was an authentic speakeasy at 86 Bedford near Barrow. Have a black-and-tan with the rabbit and tell 'em I said 'Yo'. (Sorry about the bunnies, dandy, but they're yummy.)

Raccoon Lodge would be the place to fulfill your 'Honeymooners' fix if you have one. It looks like it's gone classy since my days there in the late 70s/early 80s, but it is iconic seediness. The Missus will adore you for it.

One last thing, it's HOUSE-tun NOT HUE-ston.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 09 Jan 2013 at 1:49 PM. Reason: tie po
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Brooklyn Bridge

Never walked across it, but it seems like it would be a fun thing to do. Photo ops!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you want to do something touristy and get an overview of the city then do the Circleline Tour. It is a boat cruise around the island and provides you an overview of the city and some basic historic info.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If you want to do something touristy and get an overview of the city then do the Circleline Tour. It is a boat cruise around the island and provides you an overview of the city and some basic historic info.
    Or maybe not...

http://news.yahoo.com/ferry-strikes-...150511581.html
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Is NYC aware of your impending visit? They may need to be alerted!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Is NYC aware of your impending visit? They may need to be alerted!
    My parole officer seems to think it is acceptable, so I am sure Bloomberg would agree...

Man I am only going to be there for 3.5 days... this is going to be tough.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    My parole officer seems to think it is acceptable, so I am sure Bloomberg would agree...

Man I am only going to be there for 3.5 days... this is going to be tough.
    Trust me, you can't do it all...just do what sounds fun, try and maximize with location and public transit options.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Anyone been to an expensive (Top 10 type) restaurant? Any suggestions? We are looking to go big one night... wd-50 or Gotham Bar & Grill? I am willing to pay a lot, but I wouldn't consider Masa ($300+ per person!!)

My list to consider:

- Gotham Bar & Grill
    - Daniel
    - Eleven Madison Park
    - Grammercy Tavern
    - Blue Hill
    - Telepan
    - wd-50
    - Keens Steakhouse

Any I should add to the consideration. I am going to list them in order, and then try to get reservations... and check off each one down the list as I get denied...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hink is going to SF and Napa
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Jan 2014, 8:30 AM
  2. Let's all clubbbbbbbbe the Hink!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Aug 2013, 3:05 PM
  3. The Inquisition: Hink