Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Building code training for planners?

Registered
    Aug 2009

Building code training for planners?

I was wondering if a Building/Plumbing/HVAC/Electrical code for dummies exists. During our plan review meetings, I would like to speak more intelligently about the comments that their plans have generated, instead of blandly reading off the comment.

Anyone ever hear of a seminar or class for such a thing?

Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Becoming a certified building inspector increases job security... and work load . I don't know of any cheat sheets, if I did I would advise that they may lead to problems. What I have done is have the Chief Building Official attend plan review meetings, along with the Fire Chief, Public Works Director, and City Engineer (and Police Chief for subdivision reviews and developments where I needed his input).

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My employer has the Chief Building Inspector do a class once a year for other employees that might benefit from knowing more about the building codes. I'm currently in it and I have found it to me very informative we are learning IBC 2006). It's 8 weeks and is basically the same class he teaches at the community college to prepare students to take the certification. It may not teach you everythign you need to know but at least I'll now understand better what the inspectors or fire marshall are talking about in plan review meetings, site visits, etc.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I haven't heard of a course like that, but it is a great idea! I am constantly bugging our building inspector regarding various aspects of the code. I wonder if having a book line this on your shelf would be helpful:
    http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...470903570.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Form based codes Form based code training
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Feb 2012, 10:50 AM
  2. Question about 'Six Sigma' training for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 4:47 PM
  3. Replies: 2