Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Corporate" requirements for signage

Registered
    Feb 2012

"Corporate" requirements for signage

Today I heard the same old song from one of franchisees - "well, if you won't approve my sign the way it is, I cannot open the business, my franchise agreement with corporate offices mandates sign just like that". We have unified sign plans for each strip -mall, we allow up to 20 percent of sing face for logo, etc.

My question: is it really possible that corporate offices would have something like that? I personally believe that that's juts a bunch of crap.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luluhead View post
    Today I heard the same old song from one of franchisees - "well, if you won't approve my sign the way it is, I cannot open the business, my franchise agreement with corporate offices mandates sign just like that". We have unified sign plans for each strip -mall, we allow up to 20 percent of sing face for logo, etc.

My question: is it really possible that corporate offices would have something like that? I personally believe that that's juts a bunch of crap.
    Almost certainly nothing more than sour grapes. Companies with chains/franchises care about making money. Period. They locate in X community because they believe they can access a market and turn a profit.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luluhead View post
    Good question (and one I've often wondered myself). I tend to think that a lot of corporations really do have all-or-nothing signage/logo requirements for franchisees. I can understand why they are fiercely protective of the corporate logo, the whole point of a chain being brand/product recognition and all.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Good question (and one I've often wondered myself). I tend to think that a lot of corporations really do have all-or-nothing signage/logo requirements for franchisees. I can understand why they are fiercely protective of the corporate logo, the whole point of a chain being brand/product recognition and all.
    We do allow for 20 percent of sign face for corporate logo. It's not that we do not allow it at all!! He keeps saying that it's all or nothing. I really have hard time believing that.

Any legal basis for my belief would be very helpful

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It may be all or nothing for the fanchisee,but that's not your problem. Poor research or lack of political acumen on their part. Enforce the rules (hopefully they are rules and not just a plan), expect to get overriden if the use is attractive enough to the town, no skin off your nose.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If the size difference is minor (10% or less) perhaps they can apply for a variance. If not, it simply shows lack of due diligence on their part. Some of the most recognizable logos in the world have changed because of local regulations. McDonald's in Senoma AZ is teal and Pella IA has several businesses that must incorporate a Dutch theme in lieu of their normal branding.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Corporations try to force their franchisees into a approved design, and the contract may word its signage clauses very strongly. But I doubt any will do an "all or nothing" contract. Local ordinances preempt franchise agreements. They know it. If the preferred design is not allowed, almost everybody will bend on the requirements. I have had franchise owners approach a plan commission to say that (wink wink) "They are requiring me to do this unless you will not approve it, and then I will have to go back to them with something else." (wink wink). The clause is almost certainly worded that they present the formula plan, but not to kill the location if it is not approved. Stand your ground. Your signage is already very generous.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 10:47 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2011, 10:25 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  4. The dreaded "salary requirements" question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14