Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is too expensive and what is a good value?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

What is too expensive and what is a good value?

Yesterday, Apple announced the iPad Mini. As an regular iPad user, I was looking forward to this and thinking maybe I will get the wife one for Christmas if they donít cost too much. She is always taking my 3rd generation iPad (which is now outdated after 6 months...) but I was shocked to see that they want $329 for it. You can get a full size 2nd generation for $399! Personally, I think it is way too expensive for that size. I was thinking in the mid to high $200ís but not $329.

Are there things on the market that you think are way too expensive for what you get?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Apple products are always overpriced since you're paying for the brand name. Admittedly the iPad mini is particularly overpriced for what you get. A Google Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD are better deals if you're interested in a cheap tablet. The Nexus 7 in particular seems to give you the most bang for the buck and is the only tablet that runs Google's unmodified version of Android. Next week, Google will unveil the next versions of their Nexus tablets.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I can't see paying that kind of money for the mini. It's not that much larger than my current phone and yet is too large to fit in a pocket unless I wear a suit, sport coat or carry a man bag. None of those are going to happen.
    ďDeath comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.Ē

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The other thing is it does not have the retina display. The other thing is they now have the 4th gen iPad out. Faster processor and new lighting bolt power connector. But according the the Apple rep that I spoke with today the 3rd gen and 4th gen iPads are the same price. The both starting at $499 for new, but they do have refurbished 3rd Gen for $375. Hell, for $50 more, I think I might just get a refurbished one for the wife's Christmas present... unless the world comes to an end on the 21st.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The other thing is it does not have the retina display. The other thing is they now have the 4th gen iPad out. Faster processor and new lighting bolt power connector. But according the the Apple rep that I spoke with today the 3rd gen and 4th gen iPads are the same price. The both starting at $499 for new, but they do have refurbished 3rd Gen for $375. Hell, for $50 more, I think I might just get a refurbished one for the wife's Christmas present... unless the world comes to an end on the 21st.
    We just got a refurbished new iPad direct from the Apple website for $450. Includes a case (which is about $50). That was a pretty good deal and is covered by all the warranties as new. FYI...

I have no opinion on the mini as its not something I see myself using. I'm up for renewal on my cell plan in Feb and plan to get an iPhone 5. Together with our other devices, that'll be enough iProduct for me. Maybe too much.

But do I think its too expensive for what you get? Well, in this case anyway, you do pay more for Apple products and you are paying for the brand. But it endures and the prices tend to hold precisely because the products are very well made and the company is reliable. Are there problems? Of course. Computers are complicated things. But overall, I am just astounded that they can offer these kinds of things for as cheap as they do. And I do believe that if the items were truly over-priced, the market would correct it.

In the mid-'90s I bought a SCSI hard drive for backup storage of video. I think it had maybe a gig of storage and it cost me $750. Just for a hard drive! Now I can get a 32Gb thumb drive for $19!! My point being that even determining the "value" of an industry in as much flux as computing is very challenging. But its a very good example of how the popularity of a product (ie. personal computers) can drive the development of technology to bring down costs considerably. There was a day when only the government and research institutions could afford computers. Now every yahoo and their toddler has a mobile device.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    We just got a refurbished new iPad direct from the Apple website for $450. Includes a case (which is about $50). That was a pretty good deal and is covered by all the warranties as new. FYI...

I have no opinion on the mini as its not something I see myself using. I'm up for renewal on my cell plan in Feb and plan to get an iPhone 5. Together with our other devices, that'll be enough iProduct for me. Maybe too much.

But do I think its too expensive for what you get? Well, in this case anyway, you do pay more for Apple products and you are paying for the brand. But it endures and the prices tend to hold precisely because the products are very well made and the company is reliable. Are there problems? Of course. Computers are complicated things. But overall, I am just astounded that they can offer these kinds of things for as cheap as they do. And I do believe that if the items were truly over-priced, the market would correct it.

In the mid-'90s I bought a SCSI hard drive for backup storage of video. I think it had maybe a gig of storage and it cost me $750. Just for a hard drive! Now I can get a 32Gb thumb drive for $19!! My point being that even determining the "value" of an industry in as much flux as computing is very challenging. But its a very good example of how the popularity of a product (ie. personal computers) can drive the development of technology to bring down costs considerably. There was a day when only the government and research institutions could afford computers. Now every yahoo and their toddler has a mobile device.
    we bought iPhone 5's when they came out. It was my first iPhone and I like it.

As for your analysis on the cost of technology, I agree, you can get a 8TB hard drive for $750. A buddy of mine is putting a proposal together for me to install and setup a home server system and commented that he should be able to do it all for under $1,000 (only 4 TB of storage). When he did his house 3 years go, he spent 3 times that and he is already upgrading.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yesterday, Apple announced the iPad Mini. As an regular iPad user, I was looking forward to this and thinking maybe I will get the wife one for Christmas if they donít cost too much. She is always taking my 3rd generation iPad (which is now outdated after 6 months...) but I was shocked to see that they want $329 for it. You can get a full size 2nd generation for $399! Personally, I think it is way too expensive for that size. I was thinking in the mid to high $200ís but not $329.

Are there things on the market that you think are way too expensive for what you get?
    I was a little disappointed with this release. I had hoped that it would have retina display and a better price point. I have an iPhone 4 with retina display which I really like, especially using it for good lengths of time in some situations. My Win7 laptop just crapped after 4 years so I am in the market for something more than my iPhone that doesn't necessarily have to be a desktop/laptop since I will be getting a work issued one.

Currently a refurbished iPad 16GB wi-fi model with retina display is selling for $379 only $50 more than the mini which does not have retina display. Also a new iPad 2 of the same mold is $399. Still not enough to make me jump.

I will have to ponder this some more.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The new Microsoft Surface Tablets look to be a good competitor to the iPad and seem to take the middle between tablet and laptop. The only problem is that Windows RT currently doesn't have nearly the app support that Apple or Android have but that can easily change. They do come with MS Office installed which is a pretty big deal though. If you wait till February, you can get a Windows 8 Pro tablet that runs everything Windows can.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 8:27 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jun 2007, 7:35 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jan 2006, 5:17 PM
  4. Amtrak, why more expensive than flying?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 6:05 PM
  5. What makes cities expensive?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Dec 2004, 8:12 AM