Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting experience in planning with a bachelors

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2012

Getting experience in planning with a bachelors

Hi, I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in sociology and may take a few years off before getting my MUP. If I do, I'd like to work in planning in some capacity. What is the best way to get a planning related job without having an MUP?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Sleep with a planning director.
    2. Show up on a Monday and occupy an empty desk. Act like you have always been there and hope nobody notices.
    3. Pray. This works best in the south and a handful of other places where religious fervor is the norm.

OK, so seriously, you will have a very difficult time breaking into planning in this market, particularly with a degree outside of what is usually considered the core disciplines (planning, geography, public administration) and without experience. You are going to have the best luck in the non-profit sector or maybe downtown revitalization programs.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    ABout like what Cardinal said. Another idea is to get a part time paying job and then try to (beg for) an unpaid internship at a City or County planning office or perhaps a private planning or real estate firm. Stay at that intership for a year or so at least to get a good understanding of the work (and if you think you might even like planning) and then you might have a better chance of landing a real entry level planning job.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    ABout like what Cardinal said. Another idea is to get a part time paying job and then try to (beg for) an unpaid internship at a City or County planning office or perhaps a private planning or real estate firm. Stay at that intership for a year or so at least to get a good understanding of the work (and if you think you might even like planning) and then you might have a better chance of landing a real entry level planning job.
    This is what I would suggest. An unpaid internship. Even if it is 5 hours a week, it still looks good on a resume.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Another option I can think of is try to get an Americorps position in something related to planning. There's not much directly planning related in there but there's plenty that's tangentially related. It can also help you if you're interested in grad school.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Another option I can think of is try to get an Americorps position in something related to planning. There's not much directly planning related in there but there's plenty that's tangentially related. It can also help you if you're interested in grad school.
    The community development non-profits love AmeriCorps. We usually have 3-4 every year in our community development division. Many other partner organization in the are also utilize AmeriCorps.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 2012

Internships are very valuable

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    This is what I would suggest. An unpaid internship. Even if it is 5 hours a week, it still looks good on a resume.
    btrage is right. Internships look really great on resumes. Anyone who you encounter who has also had an internship will respect you THAT much more for having completed one. It's all about adding value to yourself and your resume!

Best of luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 12:54 PM
  2. Bachelors + Experience > Masters?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 7:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Feb 2011, 12:45 PM
  4. Need planning experience