Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Taylor, TX

Registered
    Jul 2005

Taylor, TX

We have just begun a photojournalism project: "Cotton Town | Taylor, TX," exploring the town's rise from a small railroad town to the largest inland processor of cotton in the US, only to be followed rapid decline and stagnation, and today, hope for revitalization. The entire downtown is an National Historic District, has beautiful homes, and a strong heritage to draw from for its revitalization. It is our hope that the project will in some way contribute to this revitalization.

I am hoping through this forum to be able to (1) talk with other who have taken on a similar photojournalism/documentary project and (2) find those who might have have something to contribute in terms of information about Taylor.

Thank you,
    Frank

PS. We have a facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/cottontowntaylor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Good 'ol Taylor. Some of the best barbecue in the state. Reminds me that I have to sort through my photos of the town.

The town isn't all that bad, but it's in a rough spot. Too close to Austin to have a strong identity of its own and be the center of activity for a large rural catchment area, but too far away to take advantage of the region's growth and become a bedroom community. There's some charming residential areas. A great place for photographers to capture some iconic images of small town Texas.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2006
    It sounds/looks like a hundred small towns in Upstate New York.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    It sounds/looks like a hundred small towns in Upstate New York.
    My understanding is that a lot of the Texas cotton towns never recovered from the Great Depression. They grew in response to the agricultural boom on the 1920s, saw an exodus during the 1930s, and just stagnated or declined after WWII. Ag recovered, but it was less labor intensive. Taylor, Granger, Thorndale, Rockdale, Bartlett, Hearne, and a bunch of other small Blackland Prairie cities and towns all have that same sleepy, dusty "seen better days" vibe.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I believe there is a Cyburbia member on here that lives/works in Taylor that can offer some insight. Dan is spot-on in his assessment of Taylor--it never effectively transitioned from its agricultural economy following the Great Depression, though they are trying today.

One of the most interesting modern things about the town is SST Records. It was established by Greg Ginn, founding member of late 70s hardcore punk band Black Flag. SST is nowhere near the indie king that it was in the 80s when Minutemen, Black Flag, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. were with the label, but I think you should track down the studio and ask "Why Taylor?" I think that could give you some interesting insight.

EDIT: Taylor also has a lot in common with Lockhart, TX historically if you're looking for comparisons.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 01 Nov 2012 at 5:43 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    It looks rather derelict. Any pcis of those fine homes mentioned above?

The bottom two buildings in the photo series above look like they fairly good bones. They could be turned into something useful.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The first pic is where Austin got the idea for the hipster eatery in a trailer that has spread throughout the country.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread