NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Petaluma CA

A very cool and historic downtown.

[img] http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...C00820_-_2.jpg [/img]

[img] http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...C00837_-_2.jpg [/img]

[img] http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...C00826_-_2.jpg [/img]

Screw it. I just lost my patience in posting more images. The Man says I have the patience of a gnat. He's correct.
    There are a bunch more images in "California, Other."

From Wiki:

Petaluma pioneered the time-controlled approach to development. After Highway 101 was re-aligned as a freeway in 1955, residential development permits tripled, from 300 in 1969 to 900 in 1971. Because of the region's soaring population in the sixties, the city enacted the “Petaluma Plan” in 1971. This plan limited the number of building permits to 500 annually for a five year period beginning in 1972.[12] At the same time Petaluma created a redbelt around the town as a boundary for urban expansion for a stated number of years. Similar to Ramapo, New York, a Residential Development Control System was created to distribute the building permits based on a point system conforming to the city's general plan to provide for low and moderate income housing and divide development somewhat equally between east and west and single family and multi-family housing.

The stated objectives of Petaluma's time controlled growth management were to ensure orderly growth; to protect the city's small town character and surrounding green space; to provide a variety of housing choices; and to maintain adequate water supply and sewage treatment facilities.

The controlled development plan attracted national attention in 1975 when the city was taken to court by the Construction Industry Association. The city's restriction was upheld by the 9th Circuit Court in 1975 and the Supreme Court denied a Petition for Writ of Certiorari in 1976. This court ruling still forms the foundation for most local growth management ordinances in California.

Despite this history of planned development, the Petaluma City Council voted on April 13, 2009, to eliminate the entire planning department and lay off the whole planning staff.[13] Planning Division responsibilities were subsequently contracted out to the consulting firm Metropolitan Planning Group, which re-hired some of the former planning staff and continues to operate planning services for the city.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    As usual, beautiful shots, RJ. I love it when you do these posts. I think the Victorian era in America produced our best architecture.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks, Otis. I guess nobody else noticed.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Thanks, Otis. I guess nobody else noticed.
    Wrong-O. I always love these picture posts. I didn't see these back in October somehow...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    As usual, beautiful shots, RJ. I love it when you do these posts. I think the Victorian era in America produced our best architecture.
    One of these days I will learn to post pics... then I will show you some Art Deco and Beaux Arts buildings that will blow away any Victorian.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    One of these days I will learn to post pics... then I will show you some Art Deco and Beaux Arts buildings that will blow away any Victorian.
    I will be waiting.....

I oughtta learn to post pictures better too. Once upon I time I was able to.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Petaluma in trouble
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 10:32 AM